WBRR, Lots of DIY
    Tarp
    MacCat; Cloudburst
    Insulation
    Lynx, HG T/UQ, AHE
    Suspension
    Varies
    Quote Originally Posted by doc View Post
    I'm thinking about purchasing a singer 15...
    An actual Singer 15 (unlikely) may not be what you're looking for.

If it is a 15-90 or 15-91, they are very good machines well worth getting. The serial # will be on top of the base in the front right corner.

If by some long shot it is a Singer 15NL or 15CH, take a pass on it. These were later made "nostalgia" machines made in Taiwan and China and have a poor reputation. The model and serial #s for these will be on the under side of the cast base.

Hammock
    DIY or Bonefire Whisper
    Tarp
    DIY Silpoly
    Insulation
    Incubator, Burrow
    Suspension
    Bonefire Deluxe
    Images
    This site has lots of info on Singers: http://www.ismacs.net/home.html There is a link for the model list and a link for looking up the serial number. The serial number wil tell you exactly which machine it is, if unsure.

Hammock
    Hennessy Explorer Deluxe
    Tarp
    DIY Hexish Tarp
    Insulation
    UGQ Zeppelin
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    I've looked through some of that site already Detail. It's got some good info. I'm going to look at a 15-90 or 30 later today. It doesn't fold into the cabinet like I would prefer, but I'm looking more for working order right now. I can always keep looking for a better cabinet.

Hammock
    DIY Bridge db layer 1.1
    Tarp
    DIY 12'
    Insulation
    DIY Climashield
    Suspension
    amsteel/tree strap
    Quote Originally Posted by NWOHanger View Post
    I've looked through some of that site already Detail. It's got some good info. I'm going to look at a 15-90 or 30 later today. It doesn't fold into the cabinet like I would prefer, but I'm looking more for working order right now. I can always keep looking for a better cabinet.
    I have my machine in the cabinet now and quite truthfully, it's not all that handy as opposed to setting it up on a full size work table which I did for years and years.

Most sewing cabinets are less than 18" wide and we traditionally position them against the wall.

When I'm sewing larger items I have to pull the whole thing away from the wall to allow the fabric to have room to go behind the machine and the cabinet top surface isn't big enough to do things on so I'm always moving to use another surface anyways. My favorite is the top of my deep freeze cause it's large, handy (in the same room) and it's higher than table height.

If you're looking to store the machine in between uses, pick up a travel case for it - W/M should have them for under $30.00 cdn.

Hammock
    Hennessy Explorer Deluxe
    Tarp
    DIY Hexish Tarp
    Insulation
    UGQ Zeppelin
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    Good point Old Boot. The one I'm looking is mounted on a table, but doesn't fold into it. As we continue renovating our basement we'll be adding a craft area that will have a table that I want to set at the same height as the thread injector so I can position it beside or behind depending on my needs.

Hammock
    DIY Bridge db layer 1.1
    Tarp
    DIY 12'
    Insulation
    DIY Climashield
    Suspension
    amsteel/tree strap
    Quote Originally Posted by NWOHanger View Post
    Good point Old Boot. The one I'm looking is mounted on a table, but doesn't fold into it. As we continue renovating our basement we'll be adding a craft area that will have a table that I want to set at the same height as the thread injector so I can position it beside or behind depending on my needs.
    The one you're looking at sounds like it's been jury-rigged. I've not seen a sewing cabinet yet that didn't allow the machine to fold down under the table top.

I have 30" to the left of my machine and truthfully, some of it is waste space. I probably only use half of it for all my projects including drapery. Even when you're doing long runs of big material it's easier to fold or bunch it up rather than laying it out flat. it feeds more evenly through the machine with less drag that way.

The best laid out sewing room I've seen had a full 4' x 8' table with each of the machines laid out 2 or 3' apart down one side (regular sewing machine, serger and another one set up specifically for buttonholes) - we regularly produced custom shirts for car shows in 5 sizes and in small quantities so we were running production runs...lol. A chair on wheels made slipping between the machines easy.

The other table was also 4 x 8 but it was set at the proper height for comfortable working while designing, cutting, pinning and finishing up stuff.
    The height can be tailored to the people working on it most - just slightly below elbow height is usually ideal.

Hammock
    Hennessy Explorer Deluxe
    Tarp
    DIY Hexish Tarp
    Insulation
    UGQ Zeppelin
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    I've actually seen a few like this. I'm pretty sure they're original injectors and tables. They have wooden covers that sit over the injector and lock onto the table.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.0 DL
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    GoLite, Incubator
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Bought one! Serial is Al788604. How did I do?

Hammock
    WBRR, Lots of DIY
    Tarp
    MacCat; Cloudburst
    Insulation
    Lynx, HG T/UQ, AHE
    Suspension
    Varies
    Quote Originally Posted by doc View Post
    Bought one! Serial is Al788604. How did I do?
    You tell us...which model, what condition, how many $$$.

The serial number was allotted in 1954 to class 15 machines.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.0 DL
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    GoLite, Incubator
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Don't really have answers for most of the questions. I know the serial number and that the plate says 15-. Also, when you plug it in and use the peddle the needle goes up and down. Attached are some pics.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast