Hammock
    Clark / Claytor
    Tarp
    Neo 12 X 12
    Insulation
    Cheap pad

Yet another reason to hang…

I stole this quote from a hunting forum:

“I have a friend who was bitten twice by copperheads. He didn't go to the doctor and said he stayed drunk for the first 12 hours to kill the pain. He had massive swelling but his skin didn't break open. One of the times was sleeping under a tarp and it crawled up next to him sleeping.

The whole no floor tarp camping philosophy seems a little too much for me. It’s great as gear for the ever possible and unplanned: “I guess I’m sleeping away from base camp tonight”, but to have this be your plan is more than I’m willing to sign up for.

Any of you guys do the tarp/no floor method?
    The harder I work, the luckier I get.

Hammock
    Hennessey Explorer Ultralight
    Tarp
    Hennessey Hex
    Insulation
    HH Super Shelter
    Suspension
    ring buckle
    Images
    I won't but I know lots that do... and PA is real copperhead timber rattler territory.
    I may be slow... But I sure am gimpy.

"Bless you child, when you set out to thread a needle don't hold the thread still and fetch the needle up to it; hold the needle still and poke the thread at it; that's the way a woman most always does, but a man always does t'other way."
    Mrs. Loftus to Huck Finn

We Don't Sew... We Make Gear! video series

Important thread injector guidelines especially for Newbies

Bobbin Tension - A Personal Viewpoint

Images
    You mean without a hammock? No. But several years before switching to hammocks, I was using a floor-less tarp in country where snakes were not a concern.

Hammock
    depends on weather
    Tarp
    SWT
    Insulation
    various
    Suspension
    Straps, Dutch Clip
    Images
    Used tarps and floorless pyramid tents a lot before hammocking. And enjoyed it more than most tents... but not nearly as much as being off the ground! Never had a problem with critters big or small. Except once when my dog insisted on walking out, sleeping in the rain for a while, then coming back and curling up next to me.

I wonder if anyone has ever had any critters walk or crawl down their straps and into the hammock?

Images
    I tarped with only a bottomless bugnet and groundcloth for years before I took to the air. The only animal I ever had an encounter with directly was the occasional armadillo. They seem to go over, under, or through whatever is in front of them. Never around. I have never had, or known anyone who has had a snake snuggle up with them while sleeping. It always seems to be a friend of a friend. Unless he had two dry bites (possible but very unlikely), Mr. Snakemagnet would have had severe tissue damage at the site of the bite. This would have been made worse by the alcohol. I think this is either an urban (or woodland) legend. If not this man needs to be studied by the medical community, and he needs to get a hammock.
    Brian
    ...and there came to be a day, all too soon, that I became aware that I could travel no more on my long journey. Though I did not arrive where I had planned, I believe that here is exactly where I am supposed to be...

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Mrprez View Post
    I wonder if anyone has ever had any critters walk or crawl down their straps and into the hammock?
    I've never had anything on my straps (that I know of) except the occasional dragonfly. Once I tied my hammock off to a tree and climbed in for the night. As I started to journal by the light of my headlamp, I noticed two big eyes staring at me from above. I had treed a raccoon and he was still there in the morning. I was a little worried since I was using my foodbag as a pillow under my knees. I just had a funny thought. I don't worry about bears coming after my food but let me spot a raccoon, squirrel, or chipmunk and I'm instantly on alert.
    Brian
    ...and there came to be a day, all too soon, that I became aware that I could travel no more on my long journey. Though I did not arrive where I had planned, I believe that here is exactly where I am supposed to be...

Hammock
    WB Traveler
    Tarp
    ZPacks CF
    Insulation
    Te-Wa / HG / WB
    Suspension
    Whoopie Hooks
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Mrprez View Post
    There's a story in one of the older threads about a barking squirrel on a HH ridgeline, but that's the only one I recall.
    “I think that when the lies are all told and forgot the truth will be there yet. It dont move about from place to place and it dont change from time to time. You cant corrupt it any more than you can salt salt.” - Cormac McCarthy

Hammock
    HH Expd Asm or DIY or WBBB or .....
    Tarp
    HH Hex
    Insulation
    DIY UQ / CCF Pad
    Suspension
    Whoopie!!!....
    Images
    I had a raccoon try to jump in my hennessy with me one night. Actually I'm not sure if he wanted in the hammock or was trying to get in the UQ, but it was too close for me!
    My knife is so sharp it cut the sixth finger off my right hand! On the plus side, Inigo Montoya no longer hunts me.

Hammock
    WB Traveler
    Tarp
    ZPacks CF
    Insulation
    Te-Wa / HG / WB
    Suspension
    Whoopie Hooks
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by jeffjenn View Post
    I had a raccoon try to jump in my hennessy with me one night. Actually I'm not sure if he wanted in the hammock or was trying to get in the UQ, but it was too close for me!
    Sure he didn't want the PowerBar in your pocket?
    “I think that when the lies are all told and forgot the truth will be there yet. It dont move about from place to place and it dont change from time to time. You cant corrupt it any more than you can salt salt.” - Cormac McCarthy

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast