Clark NX-150 Camo
    Tarp
    Custom Vertex camo
    Insulation
    Kelty Recluse 2.5i
    Suspension
    Whoopies

load calculator & portable hammock hanger

I thought I saw a link somewhere to a calculator or the formulas to calculate the stresses on a tree when hanging from it.

I'm out here in Utah (transplanted east coaster) and there are **** few trees in the public campsites to hang from.
    I was planning to use my high lift jack staked out as one end and my truck as the other, but you can't always put your truck where you want to hang. Getting the high lift to stay put while you connect everything is a PITA, I camp alone quite a bit.

I do a lot of mechanical prototyping and was thinking of a way to make a portable hammock frame (by vehicle) that could fit into the back of my supercrew (5' bed) and go together quickly with a few pins.
    Have to calculate the loads to be sure I put together the right parts and pieces. I'll be working with anodized aluminum extrusions (can make any color, thinking green) that are used for machinery mounts, both pneumatic and hydraulic so strength shouldn't be an issue as long as I use the right sized extrusion.

I'm thinking this thing might weigh 30 or so pounds, would be self supporting with attachment points for the rain fly and the hammock, so you could put it on the tent pad to get around those uninformed unthanked park rangers that are worried about us hurting the trees and ourselves. Would also work inside, would definitely look better than some of pipe fitting examples I've seen.

Also, do you think there would be any interest in the group in such a thing? PM me please if you have any interest.
    Last edited by DGHPTS; 09-13-2011 at 23:02. Reason: spelling

Hammock
    Clark Vertex, TLDN, or GT single
    Tarp
    Clark vertex tarp
    Insulation
    TQ-WL King UQ-AENR
    Suspension
    whoopies w/DB
    I would be interested in a stand depending on the cost. I'm in the same boat in new mexico there so are several state parks where trees god for hanging are far and few between

Hammock
    ENO double deluxe
    Not sure if this what you are looking for.
    Search
    Hammock hang calculator by Derek Hansen.
    Last edited by fildogg; 09-13-2011 at 19:22. Reason: fix

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird
    Tarp
    Hennessey hex
    Insulation
    RW quilt, GG pad
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings.
    Images
    Here's the calculator. But that's not the load calculator, I think.
    Art
    ---------------
    "Strength is life; weakness is death."
    ---Swami Vivekananda

Hammock
    Clark NX-150 Camo
    Tarp
    Custom Vertex camo
    Insulation
    Kelty Recluse 2.5i
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    fildogg,
    where is that located?
    Can you post a live link please?

Hammock
    Clark NX-150 Camo
    Tarp
    Custom Vertex camo
    Insulation
    Kelty Recluse 2.5i
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    manach,
    That is the calculator for determining lengths, I thought I saw one that calculated loads.

Hammock
    Hennessy Safari, Eno Doublenest
    Insulation
    Homemade Undrquilt
    I would be more interested (and I don't want to lead anyone on who plans on going into production, as I would most likely make this myself, unless the price was right) in something that fit into the top anchor points on the bed rail, and then the other end fits into my 2" receiver hitch. If you do the receiver hitch part right, you could use it as a second tree as well if only one was available. Just make sure it can handle the load from either direction (or diagonally if using the anchor points).

Hammock
    Clark NX-150 Camo
    Tarp
    Custom Vertex camo
    Insulation
    Kelty Recluse 2.5i
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Interesting idea, I could design it up, but my truck bed is too short (and it has a cover). Already covered the issues with truck placement and other end, be it tree or high lift jack. But still could wind up on my list of neat things to design.

Most everyone thinks of hanging a hammock between two vertical supports. They can also be suspended under a horizontal beam which might simplify the engineering; you just need two surfaces to rest the beam on and don't have to worry about the supports being pulled towards each other. Most of the stress on a beam will be between where the hammock attaches and where the beam is supported. The middle of the beam between the hammock attachments has little stress on it and can be weaker, (have a joint). Two 8' pcs of 1" pipe or 10' pcs of 1 1/2" EMT (electrical conduit) with a coupling would provide a knock-down beam that would rest on your PU at one end and ? at the other. ? could be a fence, sawhorse or bipod matching the height of the truck. The end of the beam can also be suspended straight down from a small tree that would never have been adequate to resist the strains a normal hammock suspension would put on it. The support points need to be close to the hammock's attach points, (some kind of prussik knot if you don't want to drill the beam and put a hook or eye through it). I think a 2X2 or 1 1/2" dowel would be strong enough as long as it was supported next to where the hammock was attached.

Hammock
    Switchback/Treklite
    Tarp
    BWDD WinterDream
    Insulation
    IX 5-in-1/WM bag
    Suspension
    Whoopies/TL Stand
    DGHPTS, I don't want to hijack your thread, but I do want to encourage you to look at the Turtlelady Bamboo stand thread. Bamboo is a misleading element in that thread name. Your third paragraph made me turn as green as the aluminum you envision. Your vision is different than those of us building low tech TL portable tripod stands but I will follow your thread with great interest. Boldly, and humbly, I write to invite you to ponder what your talents and production resources might bring to our discussion thread when you have some spare time. Oh, I think there is a loads chart in that thread that might help you. I am a struggling non-techy posting from a phone so I apologize for not providing hot links. Please post detailed photos of your production process! I love field trips!

Joyfully, Turtlelady

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast