Ask me tomorrow
    Tarp
    Old Blue
    Insulation
    DIY, HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Agnostic
    Images
    I've been a hiker since well before I was knee high to a low hung hammock. I grew up in the Sierras and my grandfather, a hobbyist geologist, was always taking us on grand adventures up in the higher elevations. My love of hiking and the outdoors stems from him, fer sure.

I stumbled onto hammock camping when I was researching getting a backyard hammock to lounge in. I found this forum and began to play. It is a perfect fit for my love of the outdoors, my bad back, and my "love to fiddle and tweak" nature.

Great post!

Hammock
    HH Explorer Deluxe / WB XLC DL 1.7
    Insulation
    JRB MW4/ H.S. Sniv
    For me, I started camping as a Boy Scout back in the 80's, I'm a assistant Scoutmaster now and just started hanging after many years of "regular" camping.

Just got my son an Scout Hammock.

Hammock
    Eno Dn, Sn, DIY "Ahote"
    Tarp
    DIY soon
    Insulation
    Pad
    Suspension
    Whoopie and straps
    I spent some time in the Greek islands last year. I made a friend who was a native to Paros and has been sleeping in hammocks since birth. After she allowed me to sleep in one of hers one night, I had no choice but to get one of my own. Now I spend all my time here, exploring and convincing those I know to get off the ground.. Wish I knew what brand she had cause it was amazing.

Hammock
    WBRR
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Lynx/Quilts
    Suspension
    Straps
    Images
    Got more seriously into the outdoors about 3 or 4 years ago when I became a Scoutmaster with a local troop. Seeing what amazing advantages it provides for youth, we're now going out regularly as a family and aren't looking back.

Got into hanging this last summer when I took a guys' backpacking trip and a few had hammocks. I'd heard of hammock camping before but never took it seriously. After seeing one in person and seeing one of the two guys go to sleep with a seriously wrenched neck and wake up the next morning much better, I was sold.
    Brian
    Denver, CO
    Father. Husband. Scoutmaster.

Hammock
    WL Snipe
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole
    Insulation
    WL SS UQ, WL SS TQ
    Suspension
    Dutch speedhooks
    Images
    First time camping was at 8 yo back in 1958. Primitive type camping as that was all we could afford. The summers of '59 and '60 we set up a semi permanent camp from the day after school was out until we had to go back to school. By the age of 12 we were living on the edge of a state forest and was hunting on my own and spending almost every weekend in the woods with the buddies. Even during time in the Navy managed trips in and about New England while in port. Married in '73 and made sure there were no concerns about her being in the woods before tying the knot. Once children arrived we made sure they were started out early with annual trrips into the Smokies. They then continued on their own. Had slowed down with camping after retiring and moving fulltime into an RV and traveling. Still got in quite a bit of hiking but camp was back at the RV. Then in late 2010 found the Hammock Forum, what an eye opener. Had struggled for years with not getting a good nights sleep on any of 8 or so diffenent mattresses so went fulltime hanging. In Jan 2011 we lost our son and the forum and hammocks gave me something to occupy myself with. Then began hanging with a great group of people. Life is still good.
    Most of us end up poorer here but richer for being here. Olddog, Fulltime hammocker, 365 nights a year.

Hammock
    GT Double/Single
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Wallyworld CCF Pad
    Suspension
    Whoopies/MSH
    Boy Scouts got me into camping. We hiked in our gear, even if that only meant across the parking lot. I never did what I would consider a true backpacking trip, but was taught to pack as though I was anyway. One night I remember we were all staying in a big lodge and wouldn't go to sleep so the leaders had us pack all of our gear up and took us on a couple mile hike in the dark with all our gear and no lights. It was supposed to be punishment but that was one of my favorite memories from scouting.

Last year my college buddies got the idea to do a backpacking trip and I have no idea what came over me but I randomly decided I needed a hammock, instead of a tent. The trip went well, but I saw lots of room for improvement. After a dozen more overnights and lots of lurking here I'm getting pretty close to dialed in.
    "We're the Sultans of Swing."

Hammock
    Hennessy Explorer Deluxe
    Tarp
    DIY Hexish Tarp
    Insulation
    UGQ Zeppelin
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    Growing up in Northwestern Ontario, the outdoors is pretty much a way of life. The closest Canadian city is a full days drive away in another province, and in between is a whole lot of unoccupied forest.
    I started hanging this past summer after my bosses son showed his new Hennessy Hammock. So for I've loved it, and we now have 5 hammocks, one for every member of the family. And now the DIY stuff starts (as soon as I buy a thread injector).

Hammock
    WBBB, ENO DN, GTUL.
    Tarp
    Etowah 10x10 Camo
    Insulation
    Jarbidge, yeti 0*
    Suspension
    Stock WBBB
    After humping a 60 lb ruck for over 20 years in the Army i'm not really into hiking these days, but i've been hunting, fishing and camping all my life, at 50yo i went looking for alternatives to sleeping on the ground, then i found Shug, the rest is history and i've never slept better.

Hammock
    WBBB XLC 1.1 Dbl
    Tarp
    Mamajamba
    Insulation
    AHE Jarbidge
    Suspension
    WB Cinch buckles
    Images
    I started in Boy Scouts in the '70s. We didn't do real backpacking but I learned some aspect of it and I developed of love of being outdoors. My time in the Army has only increased my love of the outdoors and now my son being in an incredibly active Boy Scout Troop allows me to return to the woods. I started hanging a few months ago when I learned of it from other adult leaders. Actually, I've only had one hang (last month) but it was awesome! I can't wait to upgrade my hammock and pass onto my son my HH Expedition classic.

I hope one day to do the 100 mile wilderness portion of the AT (and hopefully many other parts too) hanging each day.

Hammock
    eno doublenest
    Tarp
    eno tarp
    Insulation
    HG UQ & ENO TQ
    Suspension
    Straps & Whoopies
    Images
    i have been camping all of my short life. my family goes camping at least 2-3 times a year. (usually for a week or two at a time) we started with tents then they got a small pop up. now they have nice travel trailer. we love the outdoors! we hunt and fish some too. atleast one of the camping trips they do every year is at elkmont in the smokies. and that is mainly where i have done some hiking. i think i first saw a book about the AT at the sugarlands welcome center there in gsmnp. i read it and now have a goal to hike it. i originally set a goal to do it by the time i am 30. that is this year and due to the new job that's not going to happen. they are a little strict on taking extended days (months off). so upon doing research of the AT i found whiteblazes forums, then read where some of them were using hammocks instead of tents. and then that lead me to here. and as they say the rest is history. i have now started hiking more to get in shape and try to hang in hammock as much as possible. and ofcourse i have gotten the gear bug and want more hammock and hiking stuff. as for the AT i am going to save up time off for section hikes.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast