Tarp
    Hennessey Hex
    Insulation
    HH Super Shelter
    Suspension
    ring buckle
    Images

DIY 101 Getting Started

I don't know how to get any more basic than this. This is for you folks with the sewing machine in the closet. You have to know how to thread the machine and wind and insert the bobbin because that is so different for different machines. But I think this starts from that point. So you folks who wouldn't know where to start... try here and let me know what I missed. I just uploaded it so it may not be available for a few minutes.

I may be slow... But I sure am gimpy.

"Bless you child, when you set out to thread a needle don't hold the thread still and fetch the needle up to it; hold the needle still and poke the thread at it; that's the way a woman most always does, but a man always does t'other way."
    Mrs. Loftus to Huck Finn

We Don't Sew... We Make Gear! video series

Important thread injector guidelines especially for Newbies

Bobbin Tension - A Personal Viewpoint

Hammock
    Hennessey Explorer Ultralight
    Tarp
    Hennessey Hex
    Insulation
    HH Super Shelter
    Suspension
    ring buckle
    Images
    As of this morning I have had 41 views, which is not bad. But I have not had a single comment. Which has me wondering.... Is this kind of a series needed here?

Perhaps not. I'm not pouting... I really am not. The video recording equipment I have is a pain in the neck to use. I'm willing to do it if it serves a useful purpose. But if this kind of series is not what is needed, then that's fine.

Nor am I looking for popularity numbers. I fully recognize this series is not for the most active DIY folks on the forum. But you folks who have are intimidated by the whole thread injector stuff... what would help you out?

"Bless you child, when you set out to thread a needle don't hold the thread still and fetch the needle up to it; hold the needle still and poke the thread at it; that's the way a woman most always does, but a man always does t'other way."
    Mrs. Loftus to Huck Finn

Hammock
    WB Traveler
    Tarp
    ZPacks CF
    Insulation
    Te-Wa / HG / WB
    Suspension
    Whoopie Hooks
    Images
    I, for one, think that sewing tutorial videos are a very nice addition to the forum. Given the amount of DIY plans available here on the forum, some intro videos to get people started can only be a good thing.

Thanks for your efforts.
    “I think that when the lies are all told and forgot the truth will be there yet. It dont move about from place to place and it dont change from time to time. You cant corrupt it any more than you can salt salt.” - Cormac McCarthy

Hammock
    Tarp
    Hennessey Hex
    Insulation
    HH Super Shelter
    Suspension
    ring buckle
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by angrysparrow View Post
    I, for one, think that sewing tutorial videos are a very nice addition to the forum. Given the amount of DIY plans available here on the forum, some intro videos to get people started can only be a good thing.

Thanks for your efforts.
    Those were my thoughts. The question becomes what will best suit that purpose.

Mrs. Loftus to Huck Finn

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    Speer SWT
    Insulation
    hammockgear.com
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    Morning Rev! I'm relatively new here, and this is my first post. I for one would really appreciate it if you continue this series. I pulled my Mom's old machine out of the closet a couple of weeks ago. I had to find a belt for it and rewire the foot control. I then figured out the bobbin and threading and made a few stitches. At the moment I'm thinking about a simple first project and gathering
    materials.

I did sew on this machine a few times years ago, but that was only for simple repairs, and I've already learned lots from your videos. So, my vote is to keep it up, and thank you for your efforts.

Ken

Hammock
    WBBB; Bridge in progress
    Tarp
    DIY Hex
    Insulation
    Short UQ/pad combo
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    This would have been EXTREMELY helpful when I first started Rev. I still watch your videos to make sure I don't have any procedural errors to correct, but I would have been able to get started with everything much faster with the videos that you have posted. I had to ask a bunch of questions and read a lot of material just to get to where I would have been if I had watched these videos. Too bad you didn't make them six months ago. Don't get discouraged by lack of posts. Remember your audience. You are preaching to the choir for some of us (no pun intended), but a LOT of lurkers (who don't post) and new DIY enthusiasts will find your videos very helpful and informative.

I'm looking forward to the stuff sack video. There are so many different styles out there with small adaptations and add ons. I would like to see how to add a few things to my stuff sacks to make them stronger and more functional. Keep up the good work Rev.

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird/Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    OES 12x10
    Insulation
    WB Yeti/Lynx
    Images
    How about an article on how to make a set of reptillian derma-layers next, rev? :-D

The more I watch you DIY guys making all sorts of nifty gear, the more I want to pick up a sewing machine.

Hammock
    Dual Layer WB Blackbird
    Tarp
    OES Cuben
    Insulation
    SnugFit
    Images
    IMHO, videos like this are exactly what is needed for the budding DIY'er. I hadn't had a chance to watch the video until now, but I must say well done RR.
    “Light thinks it travels faster than anything but it is wrong. No matter how fast light travels, it finds the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it." -Terry Pratchett

Premium Quality, Fresh Roasted Coffee
    www.meancatcoffee.com

Hammock
    DIY Wbbb Clone
    Tarp
    12x10 Cat cut DIY
    Suspension
    Ring Buckles
    Images
    Looks good Rev, I never thought of the beeswax trick. I sit and curse at it until I get it threaded. It only takes me about 3, 4 letter words to get it done now, use to be 10+.
    Everywhere is walking distance if you have the time. ~Steven Wright

Hammock
    Tarp
    Hennessey Hex
    Insulation
    HH Super Shelter
    Suspension
    ring buckle
    Images
    I have decided that DIY 101 will come to a well deserved end. I really had not thought things out far enough to make it a cohesive series. I will be posting a talking head video introduction to a new series which I am calling "We Don't Sew... We Make Gear!" This should be more cohesive and better structured. It should provide a better environment for the beginner to learn to make gear.

There really is a difference between "sewing" and "making gear." So I'm taking a new direction with the idea of a DIY gear making tutorial. Thanks for all your insights and input. I appreciate it.

Mrs. Loftus to Huck Finn

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast