Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by pgibson View Post
    Being a single braid cord that is easily compressed to a dangerous level knots are not recommended by the manufacturer of amsteel. Amsteel is also very slick due to the type of rope it is and the coating that are added to reduce friction. Many knots have been found to slip. That along with the higher de-rating due to the compression and most avoid using knots. Splicing it is quite easy though and what it is intended for.
    Speaking of knots, and speaking of Paul Gibson: last fall I was on a trip to the ID Sawtooths on a route that PG had helped me figure out and gave me advice about. I was with my old buddy and his college freshman son, who had a HH ( I think an older Expedition ) for which he had borrowed a Super Shelter from me ( an Explorer sized was all I had). 1st night we were setting up, and he had forgot how to do the HH fig 8 hitch. He was hanging it with a taughtline hitch. His Dad started giving him a hard time, wanting him to learn the "right" way from me. But I asked him if he had used that knot successfully before with that hammock, he said yes, so I said what the heck, give it a go as far as I'm concerned. His dad agreed, so I just showed him how to get the HHSS on right, and he used his knot. He used the taught line no problem all week, plus stayed plenty warm to at 34F in the HHSS. I don't think that knot slipped one bit, untied real easy every morning, worked good. I've never tried it, I probably weigh a good 50 lbs more than that kid. Plus, it might work differently with different ropes.
    Last edited by BillyBob58; 01-14-2013 at 23:01.

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    Anything that can be spliced, will be spliced in my rig. I like the fact splices, properly done, will lose minimal breaking strength, whereas a knot can lose you 50% of BS. I got no love for knots. That Hennessy knot is a special pain in the butt when it comes to suspension adjustability.

I carry a small selection of continuous loops, dogbones and soft shackles. One time I forgot my whoopies (not the straps), and was up and hanging in no time on a few continuous loops and a soft shackle.

I carry a laminated placard in my pack with instructions for all the knots that are useful to me, but I just don't practice them enough to remember them.

Hammock
    Hennessy UL Explorer (2QZQ Mod #4)
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    Baby Orca & NoSniv
    Suspension
    Whoopie & biner
    Images
    Interesting thread. A lot of us started using knots and some are still in use, despite whoopieslings/ucr and all...

Rethinking my setup and the knots, I came to realize the following

Whoopiesling larksheaded (knot?) to a treehugger. Two times (head and foot end)
    Tarp ridgeline: Evenk hitch and two half hitches (head and foot end). Two knots.

Two loops (double fisherman's knot) are prussiked on the tarp ridgeline (4 knots)

8 loops (double fisherman's knot) are prussiked on the 8 guylines which are larksheaded to the loops on the tarp. The end of the guylines have a bowline

In my book that's plenty of knots... I just don't tie 'em everythime I setup camp

Grtz Johan
    My life is spent in one long effort to escape from the commonplaces of existence.

mob: +31 6 44 80 82 63

http://www.dutchunlimited.com
    http://dutchunlimited.com/english/

My YouTube

Hammock
    Hennessey Safari
    Tarp
    Kelty Noah 9 or 12
    Insulation
    UGQ under quilt
    Suspension
    ENO Atlas Straps
    I'm brain-dead when it comes to knots. When I camp, I actually carry a Zune with a video on it of how to tie a slip-knot. I also got from Amazon one of its "free apps of the day" an Android App on how to tie knots, it actually has videos of how to tie various knots.

But even with all that...I still can't tie a knot! Here's a link to the knot app
    http://www.amazon.com/Nynix-LLC-Knot...keywords=knots

Hammock
    Grey Goose DIY
    Tarp
    JRB or AHE
    Insulation
    Top & under quilts
    Suspension
    Straps & woopies
    I LOVE knots. If possible, I like to add a diamond knot here, Prussic there, I think it adds a little cache to my setup. Just as long as it doesn't add unnecessary weight. Amazing what a Turks head will do to liven up the place.
    To the pessimist the glass is half empty, to the optimist half full. To the engineer the glass is twice as big as it needs to be.

Hammock
    GT Ultralight
    Tarp
    Off my old tent
    Insulation
    -5 Sleepybag.
    Suspension
    Web straps
    Sheesh.

Lifelong Scout and Scouter here...I have every intention of using non-stretching marine grade nylon rope and any number of hitches and lashes to get my hammock up this spring.

Only thing about nylon line though...it's slippery and I don't like it for that reason. I suppose I could use good ol' manila, but we'll see when we get there.

I also teach knots as a sideline (professionally, go figure!) and you'd be amazed at the number of people that come to my store clinics to learn the basics. It's definitely a lost art, unless you're in a scout uniform.
    I prefer to remain an enigma.

Hammock
    GT Double/Single
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Wallyworld CCF Pad
    Suspension
    Whoopies/MSH
    Quote Originally Posted by TriSec View Post
    Sheesh.

Lifelong Scout and Scouter here...I have every intention of using non-stretching marine grade nylon rope and any number of hitches and lashes to get my hammock up this spring.

Only thing about nylon line though...it's slippery and I don't like it for that reason. I suppose I could use good ol' manila, but we'll see when we get there.

I also teach knots as a sideline (professionally, go figure!) and you'd be amazed at the number of people that come to my store clinics to learn the basics. It's definitely a lost art, unless you're in a scout uniform.
    Sounds heavy. Give it time, you'll want to ditch that weight before long, I'm sure.
    "We're the Sultans of Swing."

Hammock
    GT Ultralight
    Tarp
    Off my old tent
    Insulation
    -5 Sleepybag.
    Suspension
    Web straps
    Quote Originally Posted by OldRagFreeze View Post
    Sounds heavy. Give it time, you'll want to ditch that weight before long, I'm sure.
    Not an ounce-counter. Swapping my tent for a hammock will probably be enough to start.
    I prefer to remain an enigma.

Hammock
    GT Double/Single
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Wallyworld CCF Pad
    Suspension
    Whoopies/MSH
    Quote Originally Posted by TriSec View Post
    Not an ounce-counter. Swapping my tent for a hammock will probably be enough to start.
    You're just awful quick to condemn the hangers who choose other methods, despite having zero experience hanging yourself. Maybe you should get out and try it before you make such judgements?
    "We're the Sultans of Swing."

Hammock
    Warbonnet
    Tarp
    HG/BWWD/Z-Packs
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Woopies & Straps
    Images
    I don't tie knots because no matter how many times I practice I just can never seem to get them right. I don't trust myself to hang from knots that I tie so my rig is no knots.
    Sometimes I like to hike and think, And sometimes I just like to hike.

Hiking is'ent about waiting for the storm to pass its about learning to hike in the rain.

• + New Posts
  • Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast