Tarp
    Leaves/Luck/DIY
    Insulation
    UnluckyGeese of HG
    Suspension
    Whoopiedyne Vines
    Images

My new makeshift Cloudburst rigging.

We hiked out to one of the backcountry shelters at DeSoto State Park to test out some gear. I found an old broken tent pole by the shelter and decided to try something. I used the shock cord inside the poles to attach to the tie outs. It was not pulling out enough for a tight pitch, so I ran the poles through the mini biners on my tarp suspension to pull more toward the foot and head end of the tarp. It really works well. Now I can consider using my trekking poles as spreader bars for my Ridgerunner.

Can anybody recommend some lightweight poles to use instead of these kind of heavy ones that I found? I am sure that they weigh at least as much or more than the RR spreader bars.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by halfastronomical; 01-15-2013 at 21:59.
    Trail information, photos, waterfalls and vistas on the DeSoto Scout Trail facebook page.
    https://www.facebook.com/desoto.trai.../photos_albums

Soon I'll lose these rags and run, Returning to the wild where I'm from. -Chris Whitley

Wow. Never seen it done like that before. By utilizing the front and back clips of the tarp you dont have to worry about adding a loop mid pont on the tarp and seam sealing. Pretty ingenious for just finding some poles laying around.

It looks like a very tight pitch, do you think its as good a setup as using your trekking poles for the pull outs? Any areas that you see might be a problem? Might have to try this out with my superfly. Good stuff!

Hammock
    WB Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    Homemade Hex
    Insulation
    WB Lynx UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    How long are the poles?

Check out this page at Questoutfitters.com http://questoutfitters.com/tent_poles.htm#TENT POLES for tent pole sections. I'd guess you'll want the .340 diameter poles. Every 18" section weighs .8 oz.

Hammock
    DIY FLYING BUTTREST Bridge or WBRR
    Tarp
    Leaves/Luck/DIY
    Insulation
    UnluckyGeese of HG
    Suspension
    Whoopiedyne Vines
    Images
    Let me get back with you on that. I never did measure them, though they did seem to be about the perfect length. I will have it in a few minutes. Thanks! Those sound nice!
    Trail information, photos, waterfalls and vistas on the DeSoto Scout Trail facebook page.

Soon I'll lose these rags and run, Returning to the wild where I'm from. -Chris Whitley

Hammock
    Tarp
    Leaves/Luck/DIY
    Insulation
    UnluckyGeese of HG
    Suspension
    Whoopiedyne Vines
    Images
    They are 7 feet exactly, So I think I may go with 5x 18inch easton nanolites, which will give me 7ft 6 ft sections. Also the nanolites are .65 oz each, so that would make a set of 2 7ft 6 poles weigh just over 6 ounces, PLUS whatever I connect it to the tarp with...I think that I can deal with that...I need to do more research, though. Thanks for the tip.
    Last edited by halfastronomical; 01-15-2013 at 21:54. Reason: changed my minus to plus...oops

Hammock
    WB Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    Homemade Hex
    Insulation
    WB Lynx UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by halfastronomical View Post
    They are 7 feet exactly, So I think I may go with 5x 18inch easton nanolites, which will give me 7.6 ft sections. Also the nanolites are .65 oz each, so that would make a set of 2 7'6 poles weigh just over 6 ounces, minus whatever I connect it to the tarp with...I think that I can deal with that...I need to do more research, though. Thanks for the tip.
    I'll subscribe to this thread because I would like to do it to. I'm also following the thread on the $20 hiking poles that are adapted to use as the spreader bars for the Ridgerunner. I carry hiking poles anyway, so the ability to use those as spreader bars and 6 ounce "tarp poles" would be a weight savings over the stock Ridgerunner Spreader Bars

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 DL
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    SynMat9/Phantom 15
    Suspension
    Kammok Python Strp
    Nice...love it! Going to garage to look at a old tent no one uses anymore and maybe do some pole surgery
    My Flickr / My YouTube

"Most of us are just about as happy as we make up our minds to be" - Abraham Lincoln

"A left handed, open minded, closed mouth (quiet), over-analytical, under the radar, through the woods kind of guy" -Me

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1 Dbl xlc
    Tarp
    HG cuben
    Insulation
    HG
    Suspension
    Whoopie/Dutch bkls
    When I was researching pole mods, I ran across some good options on sites that sold kit making supplies. I was looking into carbon fiber at the time. http://goodwinds.com

David

Hammock
    Tarp
    Leaves/Luck/DIY
    Insulation
    UnluckyGeese of HG
    Suspension
    Whoopiedyne Vines
    Images

video

This video shows the hammock rigging at about 1:12. Try not to have a seizure if you watch the whole video.

I have not yet gotten around to trying the poles. Did anybody have any luck?

Hammock
    WBRR D1.7
    Tarp
    WB Cloudburst
    Insulation
    Marmot Plasma 15
    Suspension
    Adjustable webbing
    Trippy vid!

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast