Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Hammock
    Dangerbird 11' x 72"

Thoughts on Pads

So eventually I will be getting a nice underquilt but until then I was thinking of getting some current thoughts and experiences with pads.

What do you guys think of closed cell foam? Are they easy to store? I think for my first trip I'm going to be looking for a pad thats easy to compact and store and easy to slip into that doulbe layer.

Do reflective pads end up making you too hot?

The trip is in the second week of March. It's typically warmer (70's) with cooler nights(40's+) however being Oklahoma, it could just as easily be very hot or very cold.

Again, not particularily concerned with weight due to the storage capacity of my kayak but maximizing that space is going to be key.

Hammock
    Argon X90 Experimental hammock
    Tarp
    7'x9' cuben tarp
    Insulation
    Pads and quilts
    Suspension
    Kevlar + dynaglide
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by prismatic81 View Post
    So eventually I will be getting a nice underquilt but until then I was thinking of getting some current thoughts and experiences with pads.

What do you guys think of closed cell foam? Are they easy to store? I think for my first trip I'm going to be looking for a pad thats easy to compact and store and easy to slip into that doulbe layer.
    Closed cell foam works great, but you will have to strap it to the outside of your pack because they don't pack down well.

Do reflective pads end up making you too hot?
    I find reflective pads to have the opposite effect. More like a heat sink pulling body heat off than helping it stay on.
    The trip is in the second week of March. It's typically warmer (70's) with cooler nights(40's+) however being Oklahoma, it could just as easily be very hot or very cold.

Again, not particularily concerned with weight due to the storage capacity of my kayak but maximizing that space is going to be key.
    I don't know where you would put one on a kayak. that is beyond my experience.
    NO SNIVELING!
    www.hikinghq.net - Hiking H.Q.
    www.bmtguide.com - the BMT Thru Hiker's Guide

Hammock
    GT Double/Single
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Wallyworld CCF Pad
    Suspension
    Whoopies/MSH
    You could get away with a Big Agnes Air Core pad, and that is probably the best solution for volume... But they're about seven times the cost of a Wal-Mart CCF pad, not nearly as comfortable and not nearly as warm. Personally I prefer the CCF pad, but for me weight is more of an issue than volume.
    "We're the Sultans of Swing."

Hammock
    Dangerbird 11' x 72"
    Quote Originally Posted by SGT Rock View Post
    I don't know where you would put one on a kayak. that is beyond my experience.
    My kayak has rear and forward compartmental storage so I have lots of capacity however the more compact or folded I can get something the more efficient my packing becomes.

Thank you so much for your insight especially on the CCF and reflective pads.

Hammock
    Dangerbird 11' x 72"
    Quote Originally Posted by OldRagFreeze View Post
    You could get away with a Big Agnes Air Core pad, and that is probably the best solution for volume... But they're about seven times the cost of a Wal-Mart CCF pad, not nearly as comfortable and not nearly as warm. Personally I prefer the CCF pad, but for me weight is more of an issue than volume.
    I'm def thinking the CCF to start at least. I will be checking some out at the local Army Surplus store soon.

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    I used pads for a long time and had good success with them. My Thermarest Prolite was more comfy than my CCF but in really cold temps I used both together in a DIY SPE.
    Shug

Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1SL/UKHamm
    Tarp
    HG Cuben 4S/CamoSF
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    WhoopieDutchness
    One option for packing a mat is to slip it into your empty pack as a cylinder and then stuff the rest of your kit inside it. I don't like stuff hanging off my pack so I used to use this method a lot.

Hammock
    HH Expedition, HH Explorer Dlx
    Tarp
    Noah 12, BCUSA 10
    Insulation
    JRB Nest, Old Rag
    Suspension
    Stock HH w/rings
    Images
    I kayak and hope this year to put kayaking and over night hangs together. What I have done is got a WalMart CCF (closed cell foam) pad, cut it down to fit me at about 3/4 length, and used the extra padding to make wings like Shug showed you, and a foot pad (seat pad).

I have a down QU but it is doubtful that I will take it on the water. Down is pretty useless once it is wet but the CCF pad is not. I can also "go to ground" on it if hanging is not available.

The down side to the CCF pad is it is not near as comfortable as my down UQ but the pad is not that bad. I can sleep on it fine compared to sleeping with a wet UQ. One thing I may try with the CCF (they are about 15.00 so it's not a lot loss if I tear one up) is drilling a ton of holes in it. A couple of the guys here have tried it and it increases breathability along with making it more pliable.

I have a sit on top Native Watercraft and I can roll the CCF pad up tight, strap it, and put it into the forward hatch with no issues. If it gets damp in there, no biggie. Wipe it off and lay on it. CCF will not absorb water.

The Walmart CCF pads are blue and come up to 72" long.

Hammock
    Dangerbird 11' x 72"
    Wow awesome thanks guys! Shug I saw that in your video. Would that setup fit in a double layer? Seems big.

Shewie that is genius I will try that!

Dkurfiss I will let you know how my trip goes. :-) water resistance is important to me so I want to avoid down for the most part...though they seem the best for warmth. There is always my water proof bags I guess!

Hammock
    Hennesy
    Tarp
    various
    Insulation
    pads, foam
    Images
    There are a couple of pad materials. The fine cell is more flexible hence more comfortable. The large cell foam is more rigid thus less comfortable. Something to look for when checking pads. I have bought both at Walmart.

Make an SPE with the wings and you will be happier. Mine is fleece on one side and I do not seem to have a problem with condensation. I suspect it is because the fleece allows some air movement.

Think about storing it in the boat. I pull my center pad and use it as a kneeling pad in canoes. If your kayak is wide enough you can roll the pad out flat. The wings and SPE cover will then roll up. Stuff them in an end as they do not weigh much. CCF does not absorb water so even if it gets wet it dries fast.

Toss in a space blanket. It will add warmth under you or act as a wind barrier over you. You can leave your head exposed and still get a significant improvement if you need it. If you do the "over" part put it over the ridge line so you have some air exchange to prevent condensation on the top. It will also work as a tarp door. ;-)
    YMMV

HYOH

Free advice worth what you paid for it. ;-)

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast