Tarp
    WB Cloudburst
    Insulation
    DownMat 9
    Suspension
    Cinch buckles
    Images

Developer of Exped Ergo answers a few questions

I bought an Ergo on release last year, and after the summer I noticed stretch marks on the hammock, like some others here. I emailed the retailer and they immediately granted a full money back return of the product. No questions asked, I simply mailed them a couple of photos and asked what to do, and they simply said "Return it, have your money back."

So that was awesome, of course. But I like the Ergo, so then I mailed them a few questions about it. They referred me to the Exped general agent in Sweden, who in turn referred me to the product developer himself, all in the span of a day and a half.

Here's the conversation. Basically the 2013 model will have a slightly different design and and will be 25 cm longer.

I bought an Ergo on release in april last year. I had to return it because of substandard materials/design, and it was ripping apart along the seams. Not the seams themselves, but the fabric around them. A friend of mine experienced the same problem, and I've heard a fair few others say the same (We hang out on an american hammock forum, and the Ergo doesn't have a very good reputation there, I'm afraid). This indicates a rather serious design problem by Exped, and my question is simply how Exped reacts when you return the product to them.

I have another hammock of bridge design, a Jacks'R'Better BMBH which is almost five years old by now, and that one shows no such stretch marks at all.

Will they rethink the design? Change materials? Abandon the product? Pretend there's no problem?

Also, the Ergo is just a bit short, and rumor has it Exped will release a longer version. Have you heard anything about this?

I really like the Ergo, and if they release an improved version I will buy it. But obviously I want it to last a few years without breaking...

Best regards,

// Joz
    The developer answers:

Hi Joz,

Let me answer directly to you. I am developer/productmanager of the hammocks and other products like the mats at Exped.

Concerning the length of the Ergo Hammock, actually the new 2013 version which comes out in march is 25 cm longer so also longer people respectively the ones sleeping on their backs can use it. Concerning the 2012 version, consider that the length of the mat is not automatically the length of the person, because 70% are sleeping on their sides which always is kind of a phoetus position hence you are quite some smaller than the body length indicates. So we found it would fit many poeple, also 180 cm long ones, but best is always to try out than just looking a the figures.

Concerning the fabric which slightly opens its structure at the stressed seams: With any lightweight fabric this phenomenon happens: the threadsd, mainly the weft threads (sideways threads) will shift slightly giving the impression that the fabric might break because you see light through it. However there is not any breakage of threads whatsover, it is just the thread structure which shifts and slightly distorts. Again that is the price of real lightweight fabric. You will find this on any hammock with lightweight fabric on the market along the stitch lines where stress is exerted. I have made alot of tests accordingly, also with existing competitors hammocks. You might check out any hammock accordingly with a magnifying glass. After a certain while again it happens with all lightweight fabric because less the number of threads are diminished. It is important to know that it is not a good option to diminish the Denier count (weight of threads per 9000 meter) to have more threads because of strength issues. When we do that like in the Scout Hammock Combi where we use 20 Denier instead of 40 Denier, we take the fabric double.
    Again this is by no means a strength problem, it is purely esthetical, but I think acceptable given the fact that as light as possible fabric is used as I assume a certain understanding can be accepted by lightweight minded hangers. In the new 2013 version you hardly will find this issue because we have a way to hide it, but hey, as explained, it is still there because it is unavoidable with any stressed seam on lightweight fabrics,

mit bestem Gruss / with best regards,

AB
    I'll give the Ergo another shot in march. I really like the design, and this customer service experience has only boosted my opinion of Exped.
    - Tanstaafl.
    - Whoever said "No smoke without fire" never went camping.
    - It's just badass to have a yak.

Hammock
    Switchback/Speer/T-Bird/WBBB/Lt Owl
    Tarp
    SF/CF/Cldburst/Oge
    Insulation
    Incub/Buro/Snugfit
    Suspension
    Cinch Straps
    Very interesting, I will have to keep my eye out for the new version. Thank you for posting this.
    "No whining in the woods"

Hammock
    Warbonnet ON!
    Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    Nice to get a response from the actual designer.

I'm a little disappointed in the explanation about the fabric. Even after you gave the example of your 5 year old BMBH not showing the same thing, he told you this is an issue on all hammocks. Excuses instead of solutions, but at least you got a direct response and they are obviously aware of the issue. All you can do is try to help.
    Trust nobody!

Hammock
    WB RR
    Tarp
    WB Cloudburst
    Insulation
    DownMat 9
    Suspension
    Cinch buckles
    Images
    To be honest, I'm inclined to believe him when he says it's not a strength problem. The fabric never felt brittle or weak or made ripping noises. It just...stretched.

But I'm not an expert, so when the retailer said they'd take it back, I sent it back.
    - Tanstaafl.
    - Whoever said "No smoke without fire" never went camping.
    - It's just badass to have a yak.

Hammock
    SwithcBack
    Tarp
    Edge or TrailStar
    Insulation
    quilts and pads
    Suspension
    Adj. Webbing
    Images

Jiihaaa!

Longer versin for longer folks - Count me in!

Thanks for the information, it was nice to post it here.

Hammock
    DIY
    Images
    Good work, Joz. This is an issue that affects gathered end designs with channels and my adjustable hammocks with multiple shroud lines, too. I tend to reinforce the ends that I attach cords to or use heavier fabric (1.9 ripstop or supplex). If I see the weave being distorted I figure some of the threads are under more tension than others, but I suppose that the distortion could be a way of compensating and spreading the force around more evenly. I'll continue to watch carefully for broken threads.

• + New Posts