Hammock
    Lite Owl/GT SB
    Tarp
    WL Big Daddy
    Insulation
    Jarbidge, JRB
    Suspension
    Whoopies

Learning from my mistakes: soggy ground and high winds make Redpath a wet camper

Spent another night trying to dial in my new Lite Owl. Went to bed late after that Sunday night football game. Had my Hammock up for a few days outside our house and didn't think about all the rain we've been getting. Around 2 am after drifting off to sleep (in a cozy flat lay) the rain starts coming down fierce and a gust of wind came up and blew out 3 of my four stakes on the Big Daddy. I immediatly started getting soaked. I don't think I've ever gotten out of bed or a hammock faster! Man it was coming down. I restaked the tarp to hopefully protect it and crashed inside to my warm comfy bed (and woman). The next morning the stakes were all whipping around the hammock and there was a nice tear on one of the sides ...I'm going to try to fix it with the GE II silicone and a couple of peices of silnylon that Marty from WL is sending me. Thanks Marty! Great customer service. Anyway, I thought about it later and I think the ground had just gotten too soggy with all the drenching rain we had that week, and the stakes couldnt' hold it down. I should have brought the whole kit and kaboodle in after the first blowout, but it was late and I was drenched and ready to sleep. Live and learn....Good news was that I was completly comfortable before all hell broke loose
    You don't need a weatherman to know which way the wind blows~Bob Dylan
    http://carnegies-restaurant.com

Images
    Hence BB58's hammock/tarp rule #2: when ever possible, tie to a tree, branch or root! I have also had stakes ripped out in a storm!

Hammock
    WWM or tablecloth
    Tarp
    SuperFly
    Insulation
    shamu 40*
    Suspension
    UCR whoopie
    Images
    What also helps, get some logs and lay them in front of the stake, where they lay on the rope... It helps in crummy dirt and high winds...

Or just invest in some heavy duty stakes for the house...
    Live, Laugh, Love, if that doesn't work. Load, Aim and Fire, repeat as necessary...

Buy, Try, Learn, Repeat

Hammock
    DIY Dangerous Bird
    Tarp
    DIY Rooftop
    Insulation
    DIY Apex/Argon
    Suspension
    whoopies
    Images
    Man, thats a bummer to hear about your tarp. I had one of my self tensioning guylines slingshot a stake my at the time brand new BMJ tarp. Put a nice clean hole right through it. I hope the repairs go well, and now you have some valuable experience to pass onto to newbie hangers.
    -Jon-

Hammock
    Lite Owl/GT SB
    Tarp
    WL Big Daddy
    Insulation
    Jarbidge, JRB
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    [QUOTE=BillyBob58;913374]Hence BB58's hammock/tarp rule #2: when ever possible, tie to a tree, branch or root! I have also had stakes ripped out in a storm![/QUOTE
    Yup, but no branches or roots there...I was on the lee side of my house and it was just a strange gust that whipped around there.

Quote Originally Posted by Brute1100 View Post
    What also helps, get some logs and lay them in front of the stake, where they lay on the rope... It helps in crummy dirt and high winds...

Or just invest in some heavy duty stakes for the house...
    That's a great idea. I had one line wrapped around of the base of a concrete bird bath which was laying down and the wind kept picking it up and moving it around, which tells you how windy it was...
    Quote Originally Posted by dangerous View Post
    Man, thats a bummer to hear about your tarp. I had one of my self tensioning guylines slingshot a stake my at the time brand new BMJ tarp. Put a nice clean hole right through it. I hope the repairs go well, and now you have some valuable experience to pass onto to newbie hangers.
    Aww yah, it's a bummer but I think if my repair goes well it will add character

Hammock
    GT Double/Single
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Wallyworld CCF Pad
    Suspension
    Whoopies/MSH
    I know the feeling, I tore a hole in my hammock second night out.

That makes me think I'll find a way to loop the guys over the stake rather than actually tying them on when I get my Superfly. That way if it comes up it only has one shot at the tarp then it will fall out. Thanks for the warning!
    "We're the Sultans of Swing."

Hammock
    WBRR, 35 inch dogbones
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole/OMWintr
    Insulation
    UGQ/HG/AHE
    Suspension
    Whoops/Dutch Bling
    Images
    Redpath, that storm that came in, registered as much as 68mph winds in the front as it past us...here at my county we registered 48mph gusts of wind and lost power for a couple of hours..I think, with the storm you were hanging in,,very few if any stakes of any kind would have held. Glad your ok, and sorry to hear about the tear.

We also picked up 3.5 inches of rain since that storm blew in, and rivers here in Southern Indiana will crest about 22.5 high with alot more flooding to come on top of the 18-20 inches of snow melt that storm also melted. We now are out of the drought for sure.
    2nd CAG, CAP 2-1-5 5th Marines, 1st Mar. Div.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Combined_Action_Program

Hammock
    Lite Owl/GT SB
    Tarp
    WL Big Daddy
    Insulation
    Jarbidge, JRB
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Quote Originally Posted by OldRagFreeze View Post
    I know the feeling, I tore a hole in my hammock second night out.

That makes me think I'll find a way to loop the guys over the stake rather than actually tying them on when I get my Superfly. That way if it comes up it only has one shot at the tarp then it will fall out. Thanks for the warning!
    That's another good point, I tied off my stakes to the little lines that are attached to them.
    Quote Originally Posted by Acer View Post
    Redpath, that storm that came in, registered as much as 68mph winds in the front as it past us...here at my county we registered 48mph gusts of wind and lost power for a couple of hours..I think, with the storm you were hanging in,,very few if any stakes of any kind would have held. Glad your ok, and sorry to hear about the tear.
    I'm not suprised about the wind speed. I thought I would be ok in the lee of the house. We have had some big time flooding here.

• + New Posts