DL1.1XLC/ BIAS WWM/ DIY
    Tarp
    HG Cuben/ DIY
    Insulation
    N/A
    Suspension
    depends...

customized jarbridges? HELP!

Question for all you guys out here in hammockland...Do any of you have a custom jarbidge out of m-50 or m-90 fabric? For the probably few that have something along those lines, how much different in overall weight did it make between that and the stock version? My wife has pretty much given me the go ahead to buy one after we return from our vacation in a few weeks and want to find out some particulars before I do this.

My plan would be to have the outer shell as m50 and the inner shell be m90 fabric using cs apex for the insul. any comments, questions, or concerns?

The reason I am going this route is not price, but versatility of synthetic. The weight between an apex uq and a down uq is negligible to me for 3 season uq's by being only 2 or 3 oz different in overall weight (14 oz is the lightest stock down uq I could find). I was thinking that if I used m50 and m90, I could probably get a weight darn near identical to a down 20*uq along with a couple of mods once I get it in hand.

I am sure Paul would have no trouble with this after exchanging correspondance with him just curious about this future purchase...

Any and all help will be greatly appreciated. Thanks for looking!
    Last edited by Fish<><; 01-18-2013 at 06:28. Reason: Just because...
    "We do not go to the green woods and crystal waters to rough it, we go to smooth it."- G. W. Sears

My forum name is Fish<><; I'm in the navy; and I hate sleeping on the ground. If I didn't need ground to walk on or measure resistance to, I think I could happily give it up.

Hammock
    WB Ridge Runner
    Tarp
    UGQ Winterdream 13
    Insulation
    Cheap Mummy/ Pad
    Suspension
    Dutch Spiders
    Images
    That would be awesome
    Bacon and Camping makes me happy.

"When life gives you lemons throw them back"
    Me

I camp in bear country and I am a bear Burrito.

Hammock
    DL1.1XLC/ BIAS WWM/ DIY
    Tarp
    HG Cuben/ DIY
    Insulation
    N/A
    Suspension
    depends...
    morning bump....would like some answers. May not have much acess to you guys over the next few weeks. Thanks!
    "We do not go to the green woods and crystal waters to rough it, we go to smooth it."- G. W. Sears

My forum name is Fish<><; I'm in the navy; and I hate sleeping on the ground. If I didn't need ground to walk on or measure resistance to, I think I could happily give it up.

Hammock
    DL1.1XLC/ BIAS WWM/ DIY
    Tarp
    HG Cuben/ DIY
    Insulation
    N/A
    Suspension
    depends...
    Can someone say something please. I leave easy Internet access in 12 hours for about a month...

Hammock
    AHE 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    AHE Shangi La
    Insulation
    KAQ Prototype
    Suspension
    AHE Whoopie Slings
    You won't get may comments asking about something that has not ever been made. I believe we have made a total of 2 quilts with M90 in them, neither were Jarbidges. Not something we have had many requests for but not something we are against doing either. Get in touch and we can sort out the details.
    Arrowhead Equipment -- For all your hammock camping and backpacking gear
    Arrowhead-Equipment.com Visit AHE on Facebook Follow us on Twitter Check out pictures on Instagram

Hammock
    DL1.1XLC/ BIAS WWM/ DIY
    Tarp
    HG Cuben/ DIY
    Insulation
    N/A
    Suspension
    depends...
    Sounds good Paul. Ill get in touch mid February. Thanks!

Ps...I hate airports but I love vacations. Too bad I can't hang here.

Like Lewis & Clark: Wintrin' o/t Columbia again: PDX
    Hammock
    Clark w 2QZQ mod,Tropical, NX;Nano
    Tarp
    Clark micro
    Insulation
    Major down
    Suspension
    7/64 SK75 +strap
    Images

Real weight savings?

Durability is a features you enjoy from a Kick-*** quilt.

I don't associate thinner and lighter fabric with durability; but I'm eager to agree that the inside surface at least is already well-protected from accidental hazards, and so it can be thinner, lighter, and less tough than standard 1.1 nylon. The weight savings are easy enough to calculate: Difference in wt/yd X area of-quilt. Greater weight saving are achievable with a smaller quilt, insulating less empty space and depending on the user to insulate just what he needs to directly and INSIDE the hammock.

Hammock
    DL1.1XLC/ BIAS WWM/ DIY
    Tarp
    HG Cuben/ DIY
    Insulation
    N/A
    Suspension
    depends...
    I must say i agree with you demo. If i end up doing this, I will most likey keep the outside as 1.1. That being said, my vacaation drained some otherwise decent funds, and need to save for a bit to justify my purchasing of another peice of gear. Paul if you read this, just know that someday in the hopefully near future you will take my order and you will have another satisfied customer. Till then, thank you for your kind help and see you in the forums.

Images
    What Demostix said. You can probably fine the weight difference in the fabrics in question then the dif X the sq.yds. I bet the dif will be fairly small. Then you can decide if that small savings is worth any abrasion resistance/durability of 1 fabric vs the other.

Like Lewis & Clark: Wintrin' o/t Columbia again: PDX
    Hammock
    Clark w 2QZQ mod,Tropical, NX;Nano
    Tarp
    Clark micro
    Insulation
    Major down
    Suspension
    7/64 SK75 +strap
    Images

Real numbers, and correct numbers

First: An incorrect premise in the first post. Warbonnet Outdoors (WBO) lists the 3 season Yeti UQ as weight 12.5 oz, w stuff sack. (How does Brandon do it? Smaller size, and tailoring to keep it in place where it is effective. No magic materials

Second: To put numbers to savings. A large(r) partial UQ will be about 48" x 48", 2.5sq yd. Call it 2 (and it will be that or smaller from Te Wa or WBO. Now, what is the lightest fabric --fabric, not film? 0.75oz? If so, there's a potential saving of .5oz per surface by substituting.

Third: Putting the two together, and introducing the fact that the UQ is not useful until suspended: You might save > 0.5 oz by committing to snaps or hooks matching UQ to hmmk, so that, during winter, you can use much less, and thinner and lighter shock cord to hang it beneath the hammock.

Finally: On keeping perspective: The US 5c coin, the nickel, weighs 5g. So five nickels weigh about 1 oz. When stopping for coffee off the trail, tip the server a minimum of $1 in paper...... and leave all coins returned in change. You'll be able to afford that generosity by staying with 1.1oz nylon and forgoing hi-zoot stuff.
    Last edited by DemostiX; 02-23-2013 at 18:24. Reason: last sentence

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast