Tarp
    HG Cuban, SuperFly
    Insulation
    HG quilts
    Suspension
    UCR, always change
    Images
    That IS one nice area!!

Remember also, the Grasslands also has the "cross timbers" area. And stop by the Grasslands office in Decatur. Look over the map of what all the area is! There is a major patchwork of it there north of Decatur. Then another section, the Caddo section to the east. When we do an orienteering event, we only allow teams on the beginner course, only advanced people can go out as regular individuals. We do that because the place is unfenced, dirt roads and not many fences! Unlike city parks and boy scout ranches, at LBJ, you cross the wrong road and the next stop I tell the kids, it the Red River! And while places like the SID Boy Scout ranch is 2500 acres, LBJ is something like 20,000 acres. Lots of places to hang, or get lost.
    Did you all see a lot of equestrians? When I'm out up there, I always see a lot of horse folks. Very nice people.
    Call me Junior

Pirating – Corporate Takeover without the paperwork
    "For a couple of bucks, get a weird haircut and waste your life away" Bryan Adams....
    "Hammock hangs are where you go into the woods to meet men you've only known on the internet so you can sit around a campfire to swap sewing tips and recipes." - sargevining on HF

Hammock
    DIY The Green Machine
    Tarp
    Tad Pole
    Insulation
    TQ TBA UQ HG 20
    Suspension
    UCR Whoopies
    Trip Report Vid

Down Below.....
    Last edited by CampWalker; 01-22-2013 at 09:02.
    ~My therapist has told me that the first step to recovery is admitting my problem, Hello I'm a Hammockolic~

Hammock
    WL Lite Owl / DIY
    Tarp
    Tadpole
    Insulation
    How cold is it?
    Suspension
    Always Changing :)

That's not the way I remember it
    If you ain't havin' fun, you're doin' it wrong

Hammock
    HH
    Tarp
    HHex
    Insulation
    SS & JCP TQ
    Suspension
    hug whoopie togs
    Went on an adventure (with a photographer friend) to take pictures of old abandoned buildings across the countyside. Looking over the route, I noticed the drive was taking us past the National Grasslands in Decatur. Never saw this area before so I was excited.
    Expected to see rolling hills of waving yellow grass, like in the movie "Dances with Wolves" but no. Trees! Lots and lots of trees. Possible hidden gem? Searching the forums led me here and i'm glad to see my hunch was right. Can't wait to get back over there and investigate further. Glad to see this hang went well and look forward to joining in, one day.

Hammock
    Dream, Sparrow and Raven
    Tarp
    HG Cuban, SuperFly
    Insulation
    HG quilts
    Suspension
    UCR, always change
    Images
    There are some areas of rolling hills of grass. There is a high plateau I know of where you can see about 50 miles on a clear day. It is about 1/8 mile straight down into the trees on the east side, and about 2 miles to the west.....nothing but grass.

Remember also, Texas has been in a bad drought. The big-blue-stem grasses have been dormant. The trail I do around the Lake Lewisville area, the little-blue-stem (lots of that up at LBJ), is about HALF what it was just a few years ago. And what there is, is 1/3 the normal height (I've had it waist high.....remember....that is LITTLE blue stem)
    About 6 years back at LBJ (On an Orienteering meet), the grass was so thick, you had to "fight" just to walk thru the area. Last year, you could jog thru that same area.
    Also, they are allowing ranchers to put cattle out. The ranger told me they were doing cattle on a section one year, then allowing it to sit idle the next. (well, no cattle, lots of horses up there....and deer).
    Call me Junior

Pirating – Corporate Takeover without the paperwork
    "For a couple of bucks, get a weird haircut and waste your life away" Bryan Adams....
    "Hammock hangs are where you go into the woods to meet men you've only known on the internet so you can sit around a campfire to swap sewing tips and recipes." - sargevining on HF

Hammock
    DIY The Green Machine
    Tarp
    Tad Pole
    Insulation
    TQ TBA UQ HG 20
    Suspension
    UCR Whoopies
    Quote Originally Posted by Gentlefire View Post
    Went on an adventure (with a photographer friend) to take pictures of old abandoned buildings across the countyside. Looking over the route, I noticed the drive was taking us past the National Grasslands in Decatur. Never saw this area before so I was excited.
    Expected to see rolling hills of waving yellow grass, like in the movie "Dances with Wolves" but no. Trees! Lots and lots of trees. Possible hidden gem? Searching the forums led me here and i'm glad to see my hunch was right. Can't wait to get back over there and investigate further. Glad to see this hang went well and look forward to joining in, one day.
    Join away, maybe we can start an annual who knows......
    ~My therapist has told me that the first step to recovery is admitting my problem, Hello I'm a Hammockolic~

Hammock
    WL Light Owl/Dangerbird
    Tarp
    WBBMJ Spinn+doors
    Insulation
    HammockGear Down!!
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images
    Great video! Let's do it again!
    "One of the best things you can do in this world is take a nap in the woods." ~ Jayber Crow by Wendell Berry

"While it may be a lot of work, the view is best from the summit." ~ an anonymous staff member of Philmont Scout Ranch

Enjoy the day
    Shane

Wish I would have seen this sooner. Sorry I missed out! LBJ Grasslands is just about an hour away from me.

Hammock
    DIY The Green Machine
    Tarp
    Tad Pole
    Insulation
    TQ TBA UQ HG 20
    Suspension
    UCR Whoopies
    Quote Originally Posted by waffenmacht View Post
    Wish I would have seen this sooner. Sorry I missed out! LBJ Grasslands is just about an hour away from me.
    If you want I'll keep you posted on the next one.....

Please do!

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123