Warbonnet Blackbird
    Tarp
    Custom HNO Airship
    Insulation
    YETI UQ, UGQ TQ
    Suspension
    Hammock Anchors
    Quote Originally Posted by Honey Badger! View Post
    Here is the progress as of last night (1AM). I measured all the pannels and then cut them out so that I could move it around to check out different desins and I believe that I narrowed down to the one shown below. I have all the panels seperated on both jackets and with this layout I have 2 front panels left. I am thinking about adding a couple of button loops out of the elastic waistline that I removed so that I can add and remove the extra panels from the middle region for a little added butt warmth or removed if it is warm out. I rotated the jackets so that the down will not slide down to the bottom during the night. Squaring off the corners tonight and hoefully start putting it all back together tomorrow. :-)
    Me Likey! My new name is "Copy Cat"...!
    Nice job.

G-Nut

Hammock
    DIY gathered-end ACU hammock.
    Suspension
    whoopies
    Images

Thumbs up JCP puffer quilt

Thanks for the post Deerfu, I went out and bought the same coats to make the same quilt. Great idea, Thanks again. I think I'll do the mods suggested by another member as well.

Hammock
    Hexon 1.6 Trail Lair
    Tarp
    Winter Haven
    Insulation
    Climashield UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies / Straps

Going to Have to Try It

Picked up 4 3XLT jackets from JCP. Going to have to try the UQ, and some mittens, and some hats, and some booties, and . . . . Well, you get the idea.

Cheapest way to test new ideas I've seen in a while, especially with down.

Hammock
    Sparrow
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    Incubator; Burrow
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    From 4 jackets, I've gotten 1 UQ, 1 TQ, 2 sets of sleeves, 2 sets of booties, and 1 pillow. Pretty sweet for $60!
    With beauty all around you, may you walk.

Hammock
    ENO DN
    Insulation
    UGQ 0° UQ
    Suspension
    amsteel mishmash
    Ok, I have an addendum to my ten minute one stitch wearable underquilt that makes it double plus good.
    -I made another set from two more jackets,
    -Set them both up like a double layer underquilt
    -then I zip all four together (so with my above example of an orange and black jacket with two kids in the hammock, now I have another set of green and blue. The green jacket zips to the orange, one zipper on each side. Blue to black same way. Even if they are different sizes it doesn't much matter, just use the smaller ones as the inside underquilt)

Now I have two double layer jackets- one for me one for a buddy
    I have my old underquilt and now the double layer four jacket thingy for a buddy

Only conclusion possible is that I now have to drag my husband out cold weather hammocking. He'll be thrilled. Who wants to babysit?
    ~ʎpuıɔ~
    If you teach a child to reason they'll think for a lifetime.
    2019 Great Pumpkin https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/showthread.php/154092-NH-gt-Alexandria-NH-gt-Oct-11-13-2019-gt-Great-Pumpkin-Hang

Hammock
    ENO DN
    Tarp
    HBO Hilton
    Insulation
    HBO Penny Puffer
    Suspension
    Tree Huggers
    Quote Originally Posted by linuxhack View Post
    Did you have any issues removing the elastic waistline. I seemed to have a little leakage from the side when approaching that area so I didn't even try and remove it.
    Thanks The only issue that I had removing the elastic was that the thread was "buried" within it and since it was so soft that my seam ripper kept picking the elastic as I was trying to pop the thread. I didn't have any loss of down after removing it though. I had about 10 spots all together where they just missed the edge while sewing but still no real loss.

I found it easier and much quicker to use a razor blade instead of a seam ripper.
    Life is Good!
    Hammocks * Scouts * Kites
    用心棒

Hammock
    WBBB XL custom 1.1 single.
    Tarp
    Cuben HG w/doors
    Insulation
    Exped DownMat
    Suspension
    Becket hitch
    Images
    I just picked up two 3XL puffies from JCP in Wenatchee, WA @ $15 each. They still had about 6-8 left on the rack. All in Big N Tall sizes so they ranged from XL to 4XL. My plan is to make a simple UQ to augment side insulation when I use my Exped UL 7 DownMat. Also plan booties and a hat or two. Thanks for all the cool beta.

Quote Originally Posted by Honey Badger! View Post
    Here is the progress as of last night (1AM). I measured all the pannels and then cut them out so that I could move it around to check out different desins and I believe that I narrowed down to the one shown below. I have all the panels seperated on both jackets and with this layout I have 2 front panels left. I am thinking about adding a couple of button loops out of the elastic waistline that I removed so that I can add and remove the extra panels from the middle region for a little added butt warmth or removed if it is warm out. I rotated the jackets so that the down will not slide down to the bottom during the night. Squaring off the corners tonight and hoefully start putting it all back together tomorrow. :-)

What did you have planned for the suspension?

Sleeves, what's everyone doing with all the sleeves? Has anyone cut one open? stitched them together? I'm wrestling with how I'll be laying out my design.

I'd love to hear what #'s people are getting... Temperature AND Weight.
    Last edited by Hammonkey; 01-31-2013 at 00:28.

Hammock
    ENO DN
    Tarp
    HBO Hilton
    Insulation
    HBO Penny Puffer
    Suspension
    Tree Huggers
    Quote Originally Posted by Hammonkey View Post
    What did you have planned for the suspension?

Sleeves, what's everyone doing with all the sleeves? Has anyone cut one open? stitched them together? I'm wrestling with how I'll be laying out my design.

I'd love to hear what #'s people are getting... Temperature AND Weight.
    I will make a channel to go the length with 1 1/2" gross grain ribbon. and debating now, barring testing, to run parracord with shock cord loops on the ends or shock cord the entire length. The head and foot will have the same ribbon channel with cord and cord locks for gathering up the ends to readuce airflow.

I plan on making a pair of booties out of one pair and debating on sleeves (which I don't think that I will use that much here in TN) or a couble of beenies.... decisions decisions.

I will post a weitght when i'm all done. I'm going to test mine this weekend for temp but i'm going to carry a couple extra jackets to put in it when it starts getting too cold to bear. I just don't think it will keep me warm enough at 30 degrees.

Last night we got my wifes jackets all torn apart and have the design layed out on mine. You can see all the triangles and such that was left over that i am using essentially as filer to make it a smoother design. Completed the first stitch on the bottom center piece and then called it a night. I used a stretch stitch to try and minimize stress on the stitching holes.
    Attached Images Attached Images

• + New Posts
  • Page 15 of 38 FirstFirst ... 5131415161725 ... LastLast