Tarp
    DIY Silnylon Hex
    Insulation
    DIY UQ & SOL Bivvy
    Suspension
    DIY Whoopie slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by SnarkyJosh View Post
    Finally got a chance to try mine out. I've got some tweaking to do, but the first test worked out better than I expected. It was 31*F when I went to bed and the overnight low was 24*F. I did wake up in the middle of the night with a slightly cold back, I could have ignored it but I thew my ALPS CCF pad in the hammock and slept 'til 9:30am.

I could feel a gap between my back and the UQ, I will have to play with the cinching. Also, I may rig up some triangle thingies to change the attachment location, I didn't like the cord touching my head. I'm normally a warm sleeper so I should be able to sleep comfortably down to about 30*F with this setup.

For reference, the rest of my clothing/insulation: Polartec silk-weight top and bottom, Polartec 200 micro-fleece pullover, Guide Series heavyweight fleece bottoms, Terramar Geo Fleece balaclava (didn't wear, used as pillow), Wigwam merino wool socks. Kelty Light Year 20* down mummy bag.

Also, there was just a slight breeze and I had my tarp setup with the windward side closed off.

Looks good and comfy! Nice job )

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 DL
    Tarp
    Hennessy Hex mod
    Insulation
    KAQ Jarbidge UQ
    Suspension
    DIY Whoopieslings
    I just bought the last puffer in Mishawaka, IN for $5.
    And ordered 2 more online. Can't decide whether to try to make a top quilt or under quilt.

Hammock
    TrekLight Double /DIY HH/DIY WBBB
    Tarp
    GuideGear 12'x12'
    Insulation
    JCP DIY UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie Sling 7/64
    I finished the sewing of this project a while a go, but just got around to adding 3/32 shock cord to the sides. Since this is my first UQ, can anyone provide some tips on where to attach (s-hook, triangle thingy, etc). Also, I didnt run shock cord on the ends as I didnt add grossgrain there as the factory edge looked decent enough.

Thoughts?

I am at the same juncture you are at. I simply have it attached at the hammock ends. I used 1/8" at the sides and 3/32 to gather the ends to help cinch the draft collars.

Soon as I get a non-windy day (hopefully tomorrow), I plan on setting everything up, seam sealing my tarp, and getting some pictures to share the culmination of all my projects to date. (UQ, Tarp, Bugnet, Suspension)

Hammock
    WWBB
    Tarp
    UQ.com Maxtarp
    Insulation
    DIY TQ & M50 UQ
    Suspension
    Dutchness + Straps
    Images
    I finished the first of 4 planned UQ's last week. It looks real nice and went together like a dream. I tested it at hang with lows of 35 and was rather chilly then added a single ply of reflectix to get me through the night. For the weather here I don't these are the way to go. Fun project though. Might sell my stash in the near future.
    Directionally challenged...comicly so.

Not all who wonder are lost...But I'm probably just lost.

Senior Member mountain_man_mike's Avatar
    Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    DIY silnylon
    Insulation
    DIY CLIMASHIELD UQ
    Suspension
    DIY hugs & whoopie
    Quote Originally Posted by samjaynes View Post
    I finished the sewing of this project a while a go, but just got around to adding 3/32 shock cord to the sides. Since this is my first UQ, can anyone provide some tips on where to attach (s-hook, triangle thingy, etc). Also, I didnt run shock cord on the ends as I didnt add grossgrain there as the factory edge looked decent enough.

Thoughts?
    I made mine into a loop with a cord lock to adjust tension on it. I thread the hammock ends through the loop at each end and the cord rests against the knot or whipped end of the hammock fabric. I figured it would be better to start with enough cord to get it done (about 17') and tension it to keep it snug but not compressed against the hammock. Side to side tensioners on the UQ end are important also to keep out cold air. I stitched one end to the UQ channel and put a cord lock on the tensioned side.

Happy trails
    Happy Trails to one and all.
    Enjoy the outdoors wisely and elevate your perspective.

Modified Penny Wood Stove instructional Video-http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0fPlHqsYy38

Hammock Wheel https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...09#post1035609

Another Really cool JC Penny Puffer instructional- https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...141#post953141

Hammock
    OxGear 11 Ft.
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole
    Insulation
    DIY UQ
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by MokoLoko View Post
    Here's my write up:
    There are three stitches that need to be ripped. When looking at the inside of the jacket you see a ribbon covering the seam. This is held on with a single straight stitch. Under that there is a crossover stitch on edge of the raw material and also a straight stitch that holds the two panels together.

It's important to note here that there are also two separate stitches that hold the down in each panel. These will not be cut and by doing so we do not need to do any preventative sewing.

I begin by cutting through all the stitches at the end and pull the two panels apart slightly. Laying the jacket with the outside up, I can then begin cutting the straight stitch that holds the panels together. I cut this the whole length of the seam.

Next I cut the both the crossover stitch and the straight stitch holding on the ribbon at the same time. Again, from the end pull apart slightly and you will see all the threads. I only cut the top half of crossover stitch and it unravels the bottom half on it's own. By keeping the panels pulled apart I am able to avoid cutting the stitches that hold the down in the jacket.

This is by far the fastest way I've come up with to separate these jackets. Hope this helps anyone feeling a little intimidated to start cutting into these.

Moko
    Is there anyway you can post a picture of the specific seams that you're talking about. I am having trouble distinguishing the stiches that hold the down from the others that need to be cut. TIA

Hammock
    Dangerbird, HHED
    Tarp
    WB Superfly Camo
    Insulation
    HG UQ, SS
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images
    Outside of jacket

\ /
    -- outter seam to rip through
    ||
    -- inner seam to rip through
    || Seams that hold the down

Protective cover and inner jacket

I can't take a picture but here is a keyboard drawing.

Hammock
    OxGear 11 Ft.
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole
    Insulation
    DIY UQ
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Agfadoc View Post
    Outside of jacket

\ /
    -- outter seam to rip through
    ||
    -- inner seam to rip through
    || Seams that hold the down

Protective cover and inner jacket

I can't take a picture but here is a keyboard drawing.
    Thanks and it makes sense.
    I've been able to separate the two panels by cutting the two stitches from the outside of the jacket. Same method to remove the zipper.

Hammock
    GT Ultralight/DIY Double layer
    Tarp
    DIY Silnylon tarp
    Insulation
    JCP Puffer UQ
    Suspension
    straps and static
    Bought a couple of the JCP down jackets a few months back @ the $5 clearance price. Going to start working on the UQ for my sleep system here soon. Lots of great ideas to work from...
    It's not the glide in the ride, it's the swing in the sling...

• + New Posts
  • Page 34 of 38 FirstFirst ... 243233343536 ... LastLast