Hammock
    ENO DoubleNest
    Tarp
    Chinook & Kelty 12
    Insulation
    Kelty LTYR, JCP UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    MokoLoko, I really like the pockets going across the side of the quilt, did you leave those functional? Looks like a convenient spot for a few lightweight items. Also, I like the coverage of your UQ, I hope mine isn't too narrow.

Quote Originally Posted by Hammonkey View Post
    How many oz you think you added?
    I haven't messed with down enough to make a good guess at that. However, I do know what parts I pulled down from and where I put it. Each back panel has the down from one of the spare front panels. The two panels on either side have the down from the strips from the top of the back panels, the little triangle pieces, and the two trapezoid shaped pieces. The sleeves contain two panels, one larger than the other. I traced the outline of the smaller one on top of the larger one, then pushed the down to one side, stitched, and cut off the excess material. Because those panels were also longer, that leaves about two extra channels of down that I put into the smaller sleeve pieces. I could have pulled the down out of the collar pieces, but I chose to use those on as draft tubes.

Quote Originally Posted by Hammonkey View Post
    Would love to hear some weight/temp #'s?
    I crammed mine into the stuff sack this morning. Total weight = 584 grams (20.6 oz). Hopefully I can try it out this weekend. Lows are in the 30's, but possible rain/snow mix.

Quote Originally Posted by the_lorax View Post
    Nice job. Redistributing the down and putting the ribbon back on the seams - you sir clearly have more patience than me!
    Shifting the down was the easy, reattaching the ribbon was a very tedious task, I'm not very good with the thread injector and that stuff is small and slippery, even with pins.

Quote Originally Posted by Honey Badger! View Post
    Awesome UQ Snarky! love the sleeve idea. sewing all the small triangles was a pain. I have just started on my third one and I think I will do the same on mine. My fill level was pretty even throughout. I just wish the sewing had been. You never knew if you were ripping one or three seams...
    Actually, I have to thank the_lorax for the sleeve idea, I saw that on his UQ, I just reshaped the panels a little to suit my needs. As to the down distribution, it really was my back panels that seemed pretty flat, but once I started shifting down around, I decided to do it throughout. I agree on the sewing, one jacket came apart pretty easy, the other was a pain and I used a lot of tape to keep the down from going everywhere.

Hammock
    DIY Black Bird
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    NeoAir or JCP UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Quote Originally Posted by SnarkyJosh View Post
    MokoLoko, I really like the pockets going across the side of the quilt, did you leave those functional? Looks like a convenient spot for a few lightweight items. Also, I like the coverage of your UQ, I hope mine isn't too narrow.
    Yea, I stared at three completely torn up jackets for a long time before starting piecing them together. I picked some minimum dimensions based on the commercially available full size UQs and it required three jackets. It's probably bigger than what I need, but it seems cozy to have such coverage. I liked the idea of having the pockets accessible because I certainly wasn't going to be removing them. We will see if they can hold anything without weighing down the quilt. Maybe a pair of sleeping socks would be convenient.

I had saved all the ribbon to do the same as you, but then just went with a flat hem for all my seams.

Hey guys, I've finally got the UQs done (sort of) I started with a 3xl and 3xlt.

(thanks Santo for the "before" picture)

I trimmed them in 1.5" polyester grosgrain. The black patch is to give me orientation to which end is which as i overstuffed one of the backpieces with the down from all the scraps, as well as make up the difference in lenths between 3xl and 3xlt. This UQ measured 42"x64" and weiged in at 15.25oz

Combined with my 40*burrow, ENO Doublenest w/ whoopies, tree straps, tarp and bugnet, my total weight is at 4.7lbs without the suspension and tie-outs for the UQ and tarp. REI was out of shock cord so I'm sitting here twitching waiting to string everything up.

The second piece is a 24"/40"/28" x 44" and is constructed from the 4 arms and weighs 7.6oz

I am undecided on what to do for suspension yet and am opento suggestions on both quilts. As far as the smaller UQ made from sleeves goes, the shape has me puzzled on how to get it to hang right. I've considered trimming it on the sides to square it up, but that would leave me with something between 24-28" wide which doesnt seem like much. Any ideas?

Pictures are coming of my complete setup, as soon as I sort out the suspensions.
    Last edited by Hammonkey; 03-13-2013 at 20:28.

Hammock
    Dangerbird, HHED
    Tarp
    WB Superfly Camo
    Insulation
    HG UQ, SS
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images
    Ok, I would like to update mine based on DeerFu's OP putting two jackets together. I wanted to minimize the amount of seam ripping and keep the easy nature of the design. It was simple and it worked.

Here is what I a did.

Taking off the arms of two jackets, sewing the holes closed (4 Unstitch and 4 sewing lines), then putting the two jackets together at the bottom (1 Sewing line) makes very easy and it also makes it very wide, I sewed gosgrain to the edges to hide the zippers (2 Sewing lines) and ran shock cord through them for suspension.

It works but had a large air gap underneath me. The bottom never really tucked into my backside when hung, in order to tuck it up against me, I couldn't see out the sides they were so high...

I have been trying all variations to improve the hanging of this UQ (I didn't want to seam rip the work already done) , and I noticed that the side panels can be pinched from inside seam to seam so that the front panel and the back panel can meet outside. Sew this line closed (2 Sewing lines) This leaves the remaining amount of down inside the UQ as an additional double layer under your sides.

I then threw the 4 sleeves, still in tact, in between the two side panel material, with the arm cuffs facing outward, tacked them down in the lines of the jacket so you can't see the stitches and keeps them from moving and they fit perfectly.

Now I have 3 layers of down underneath me, 1 layer along the sides, and it tucks right up against my backside, resting perfectly on the sides of the hammock. I didn't have to rip out my previous work and I wasn't seam ripping all day. Here are some picks before I sewed it up.

9 Sewing lines and 4 unstiching of the arms.. easy peasy... (I put a vaccum pole to hold open the UQ so I could take a picture)

The weight is the weight of two complete 3XL jackets and the gosgrain suspension.

Last edited by Agfadoc; 03-14-2013 at 10:13.

I noticed that the side panels can be pinched from inside seam to seam so that the front panel and the back panel can meet outside.
    Will you say more about this, Agfadoc? I'm not quite sure I follow. Does this change where your (shock-cord?) suspension runs? Thanks!

Hammock
    DIY DL
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    AHE New River
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images
    just a heads up to those using the JCP puffers... I went to my local JCP yesterday and found the last three there for $5 each.
    "Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."
    - Albert Einstein

Hammock
    Dangerbird, HHED
    Tarp
    WB Superfly Camo
    Insulation
    HG UQ, SS
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images

Re: JC Penny puffer jacket underquilt.

Quote Originally Posted by VAStrider View Post
    Will you say more about this, Agfadoc? I'm not quite sure I follow. Does this change where your (shock-cord?) suspension runs? Thanks!
    You know the section that separates the front panel from the back panel, that would be right under the arm pit normally, I tucked that panel in towards the hammock (three baffles ) and made it so the front panel and the back panel touch. The suspension remained the same.

That left material inside the tub of the UQ, shortened the width of the UQ, and let it rest up against your back.

I hope I explained it

Hammock
    Grand Trunk Double Chute
    Tarp
    still figuring...
    Insulation
    adipose tissue
    Suspension
    straps & whoopies!
    Quote Originally Posted by toygun View Post
    just a heads up to those using the JCP puffers... I went to my local JCP yesterday and found the last three there for $5 each.
    LOL, I had just logged on to share the same bit of news. This is an awesome project, and the materials cost just makes it even better.

Now I'm wondering what I might could do with the couple of size L and the half dozen size M that I left at the store?

I'm thinking a couple size M could be cut and stitched to make a canine-wearable comforter!

What else, what else...

Hammock
    DIY 1.1 single-layer
    Tarp
    DIY Silnylon Hex
    Insulation
    DIY UQ & SOL Bivvy
    Suspension
    DIY Whoopie slings
    Images
    It seems a shame to cut up perfectly usable items, just to make another. (though there are some really nice projects out there!) Here is what I came up with using two JC Penny jackets:

http://youtu.be/9gJAE2Zq9ys

The jackets were $20 each and the finished item weighs 18.5 oz. with the suspension. I have successfully used this down to 40* overnight inside my hammock sock. I like this because it gives me two wearable vests that serve a double-purpose in my kit.
    Last edited by mrmike65; 03-18-2013 at 13:45.

Hammock
    ENO DoubleNest
    Tarp
    Chinook & Kelty 12
    Insulation
    Kelty LTYR, JCP UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Finally got a chance to try mine out. I've got some tweaking to do, but the first test worked out better than I expected. It was 31*F when I went to bed and the overnight low was 24*F. I did wake up in the middle of the night with a slightly cold back, I could have ignored it but I thew my ALPS CCF pad in the hammock and slept 'til 9:30am.

I could feel a gap between my back and the UQ, I will have to play with the cinching. Also, I may rig up some triangle thingies to change the attachment location, I didn't like the cord touching my head. I'm normally a warm sleeper so I should be able to sleep comfortably down to about 30*F with this setup.

For reference, the rest of my clothing/insulation: Polartec silk-weight top and bottom, Polartec 200 micro-fleece pullover, Guide Series heavyweight fleece bottoms, Terramar Geo Fleece balaclava (didn't wear, used as pillow), Wigwam merino wool socks. Kelty Light Year 20* down mummy bag.

Also, there was just a slight breeze and I had my tarp setup with the windward side closed off.

• + New Posts
  • Page 33 of 38 FirstFirst ... 233132333435 ... LastLast