Page 17 of 38 FirstFirst ... 7151617181927 ... LastLast
    Quick question/thought:

I just picked up 3 of these and will probably grab 2 more (will keep one un cut just to wear though) tomorrow. I was thinking as a single layer full length underquilt most are estimating a temp rating of down into the 40s, what if I did a 3/4ish length and made a 2 layer UQ?

I am in the planning stages right now and will begin disassembling them this week some time and will try and lay it out. I was thinking about making it so I can have a convertible type of quilt, where it could be single or double layer to maybe get down into the low 30's possibly? I would make a suspension to hang my primary UQ and maybe have it so I can Velcro in a thicker piece, especially under my thighs to my head. I currently have a 3/4 UQ thats a 20* (actually purchased from deerfu lol) and I have been fine really to about 15 in it as long as I put my sit pad under my feet.

I want to try and have a few pieces of gear that are multi season/functional so that way I have to own less gear and what not. Having so many different bags and under quilts stored hanging in my office makes it a bit cramped.

I will also be trying to make a top quilt so we will see how this goes....

Hammock
    Gathered End
    Tarp
    Still Looking
    Insulation
    DIY Down UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie Sling
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Honey Badger! View Post
    Ran out of Ribbon!!! There was a miscomunication on ribbon needed so I have to get some more to finish up today. I have it all together except for 1 side and 1 top. Josie (the little dog) is inspecting my work while Cletus is "standing" guard! For reference, Josie is a 20 lb mix, Cletus is a 7 month old Daniff (Great Dane/Emglish Mastiff) and 115lbs of big baby! Some of the corners were a little off, so I just rounded the stitching on the overhanging corners and trimmed the excess fabric.

It ended up being 75"X42" no weight yet until I get the last of the ribbon and cords on.
    Honey Badger, I hope you don't mind but I am going to borrow your pattern on this I like the way it turned out great job.

Thanks

Hammock
    BB 1.1 & 1.7
    Tarp
    superfly
    Insulation
    AHE Jarbridge
    Suspension
    Whoopies & straps
    Quote Originally Posted by jb85 View Post
    Quick question/thought:

I just picked up 3 of these and will probably grab 2 more (will keep one un cut just to wear though) tomorrow. I was thinking as a single layer full length underquilt most are estimating a temp rating of down into the 40s, what if I did a 3/4ish length and made a 2 layer UQ?

I am in the planning stages right now and will begin disassembling them this week some time and will try and lay it out. I was thinking about making it so I can have a convertible type of quilt, where it could be single or double layer to maybe get down into the low 30's possibly? I would make a suspension to hang my primary UQ and maybe have it so I can Velcro in a thicker piece, especially under my thighs to my head. I currently have a 3/4 UQ thats a 20* (actually purchased from deerfu lol) and I have been fine really to about 15 in it as long as I put my sit pad under my feet.

I want to try and have a few pieces of gear that are multi season/functional so that way I have to own less gear and what not. Having so many different bags and under quilts stored hanging in my office makes it a bit cramped.

I will also be trying to make a top quilt so we will see how this goes....
    I took my extra jacket (for wearing), inverted the sleeves and sandwiched it between me and my full lenghth puffer jacket uq and slept fine in the 30's. This made my torso area 3 layers thick. When I got up I had a warm jacket to put on

Hammock
    BB 1.1 & 1.7
    Tarp
    superfly
    Insulation
    AHE Jarbridge
    Suspension
    Whoopies & straps
    Quote Originally Posted by TheGorge View Post
    I figured I would give it a try since it was so cheap. I don't have a thread injector so this was all crudely sewn by hand. I am no "sewer" by any standards, so I will just have to be very gentle with it. It doesn't look great but it serves its purpose.

http://s1068.beta.photobucket.com/us...tml?sort=3&o=1

http://s1068.beta.photobucket.com/us...tml?sort=3&o=0
    Looks great to me! Those sqared off ends work just fine with the foot box on my BB.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hammonkey View Post
    Is anyone else tickled that these came with stuff sacks?
    Stuff sacks were awesome. I may replace that metal cord lock though
    Quote Originally Posted by Deadphans View Post
    I'm waiting for my girlfriend to bring over her moms thread injector. But it's taking forever and I have been contemplating hand sewing it.
    No way I could do it by hand. I have carpal tunnel syndrome and it makes my hands hurt just thinking about it
    Quote Originally Posted by the_lorax View Post
    Spent the last two nights modding some of my puffers into a wearable TQ and a hood. Since neither is a UQ I'll start a separate thread.
    Awesome!
    Still on the to-do list is the UQ. Is there any consensus if it's better to remove at least the side panels or to just use full jackets? I'm wondering if full jackets end up so wide that they're hard to hold up against the hammock enough that you don't get air gaps under you.
    Mine snugs right up to the hammock. I'm using AHE's triangle thingies to adjust it and they're working great
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnSawyer View Post
    I keep mine stuffed in my truck... heck, I want to go get 3 more!

John
    John I bought one for each truck
    Quote Originally Posted by gargoyle View Post
    I bought a stuff sack at JCP that came with a free coat.... $14 XXXL.
    the xx stuff sacks were cheaper than the small ones here

Hammock
    WB RidgeRunner
    Tarp
    8x10 DIY (speer)
    Insulation
    KAQ Lost River
    Suspension
    Straps
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by wwk10 View Post
    Lorax got me thinking.
    I want a dual purpose down jacket, but it seems the consensus is these are too thin for a UQ.
    Does anyone think these are thick enuf to get to 30 degrees if used as a top quilt?
    Assuming I have an appropriate UQ.
    Also, for now I am ignoring the design.
    If it were 2 layers or had something to augment them... then I'd guess... probably... if you wore warm clothing . . . ... The issue is they're sewn through... you don't have consistent loft . . .
    "Do or do not, there is no try." -- Yoda

Quote Originally Posted by digitizer101 View Post
    Honey Badger, I hope you don't mind but I am going to borrow your pattern on this I like the way it turned out great job.

Thanks

I think I'm going to do the same Honey Badger, I really like the idea of running the channels lengthwise to keep the down from clumping at the bottom. Great work! I cant wait to see the pics of it strung and hung.

I think im going to make a smaller rectanglular quilt from the 4 leftover sleeves to insert into between the UQ and hammock for extra insulation in the cold. That way I've got a full length 40-50 deg quilt, that I can modulate by adding in the extra layer to get me toasty in the 20's

I really like Deerfu's the idea of picking up a down vest to use in the same manner

Hammock
    Gathered End
    Tarp
    Still Looking
    Insulation
    DIY Down UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie Sling
    Images
    I have mine all seam ripped and sewn back together now I just need to add the edge all the way around for cordage.

It measures 43 inches across and 76 inches long. I am guessing this will make a nice late Spring / early Fall under quilt nothing to cold maybe down to 45 degrees. I guess I could double this up and make two of them to get down to high 30's

I used Honey Badger's pattern to make mine only in all Black as I had two 4XL black jackets.

I also purchased a large green one to ware only problem is the kids think it looks to much like a girls jacket. I may have to camo it up a bit just so they stop teasing me

This left me with all 4 sleeves and some other random pieces to play with.

Thanks again Honey Badger for the design it seam like it will work nicely I guess time will tell.

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird
    Tarp
    Custom HNO Airship
    Insulation
    YETI UQ, UGQ TQ
    Suspension
    Hammock Anchors
    I'm eager to hear how these things hang with the tapered ends.

G-Nut

Quote Originally Posted by Grapenut View Post
    I'm eager to hear how these things hang with the tapered ends.

G-Nut
    As am I. I haven't laid everything out yet, but I plan on using the extra front panels inbetween the outer side panels, so on the outside it'll go side-front-side.

If my measurements are correct and elastic not creating illusions, I'll be able to hack the front panels off at the pocket to make them even with the side panels... thus eliminating the pocket and zipper all together. I also plan on doing the same cut on the two end front panels to make it less long... however I'm waiting to mock it all up first to see where my measurements are at.

Hammock
    OxGear 11 Ft.
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole
    Insulation
    DIY UQ
    Images
    How packable is the down in these jackets?

I'm contemplating buying some but it would be nice to know if it is going to be worth the project.

• + New Posts
  • Page 17 of 38 FirstFirst ... 7151617181927 ... LastLast