Thread: Got thread?

Hammock
    Dream Hammock Thunderbird
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Suspension
    straps and whoopi

Got thread?

Heres a question for the professionals on the forum... when strength counts, what is the absolute best thread... nylon or polysester and what size.... for example: your building a hammock and you sew the 3 magical tripple rows in the ends for the channel... after all... your hammock is only as strong as its weakest link, and im not sure... but folks may not understand.... you can have a weight rating of 1000 lbs for the material that their using, but if the thread isnt up to the challenge, guess where your gonna end up! Thanks for any and all replys......Chris

Hammock
    DIY The Crippler
    Tarp
    Cuben Refugee
    Insulation
    The Ex-gf
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Quote Originally Posted by dragon383 View Post
    Heres a question for the professionals on the forum... when strength counts, what is the absolute best thread... nylon or polysester and what size.... for example: your building a hammock and you sew the 3 magical tripple rows in the ends for the channel... after all... your hammock is only as strong as its weakest link, and im not sure... but folks may not understand.... you can have a weight rating of 1000 lbs for the material that their using, but if the thread isnt up to the challenge, guess where your gonna end up! Thanks for any and all replys......Chris
    100% polyester thread for sure. I also like Gutterman's thread. Looking forward to pics dude!

Fronkey

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 SL
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    WB and UGQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies or Straps
    Images
    Gutterman's 100% Polyester is what I see most recommended here.
    Don't let life get in the way of living.

Hammock
    DIY End Channel
    Tarp
    DIY Winter tarp
    Insulation
    UGQ and HG
    Suspension
    Kevlar, amsteel.
    Images

Re: Got thread?

+2 on the the polyester, I use gutermann as well because it works well and is widely available.

I just use the standard stuff for everything, no failures yet

Hammock
    DIY Digi Camo DL
    Tarp
    Maxi Tarp
    Insulation
    Underquilts Lewis
    Suspension
    Rings and Straps
    Images
    I use Gutermann Mara 70 Tex 40, 100% poly for everything. Never had anything break thread wise.
    I got in a fight one time with a really big guy, and he said, "I'm going to mop the floor with your face." I said, "You'll be sorry." He said, "Oh, yeah? Why?" I said, "Well, you won't be able to get into the corners very well."

Underquilts.com

Hammock
    DIY Bridge db layer 1.1
    Tarp
    DIY 12'
    Insulation
    DIY Climashield
    Suspension
    amsteel/tree strap
    Quote Originally Posted by Lost_Biker View Post
    I use Gutermann Mara 70 Tex 40, 100% poly for everything. Never had anything break thread wise.
    +1

I use it for everything used outdoors that requires strength.

Shoulda used it for my convertible pants too, they're in the mending pile...

Hammock
    Hennessey Explorer Ultralight
    Tarp
    Hennessey Hex
    Insulation
    HH Super Shelter
    Suspension
    ring buckle
    Images
    Nylon thread can stretch and really play hob with the tension settings on the home machines. IMO I would rather have the thread break than tear the fabric. So I like the thread to be the "weakest link". If you have properly tensioned stitches of an appropriate length thread is very strong. Also IMO the strength of a seam is found in the fabric itself not the thread. The thread serves to hold the fabric in place so it can do its job properly. With three stitch lines you have built in redundancy. If the stitches in one line break you have two others to pick up. You need to be inspecting you gear anyway. So you can catch broken stitches before they get to a catastrophic failure point.
    I may be slow... But I sure am gimpy.

"Bless you child, when you set out to thread a needle don't hold the thread still and fetch the needle up to it; hold the needle still and poke the thread at it; that's the way a woman most always does, but a man always does t'other way."
    Mrs. Loftus to Huck Finn

We Don't Sew... We Make Gear! video series

Important thread injector guidelines especially for Newbies

Bobbin Tension - A Personal Viewpoint

Hammock
    Dream Hammock Thunderbird
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Suspension
    straps and whoopi
    Thanks for all the replies... I have heard of that thread. Time to place an order

Hammock
    WBRR, Lots of DIY
    Tarp
    MacCat; Cloudburst
    Insulation
    Lynx, HG T/UQ, AHE
    Suspension
    Varies
    Quote Originally Posted by dragon383 View Post
    ... after all... your hammock is only as strong as its weakest link...
    Quote Originally Posted by Ramblinrev View Post
    ... If you have properly tensioned stitches of an appropriate length thread is very strong....
    As this comes up from time to time, I decided to do a most unscientific test on the breaking strength of a Mara 70 stitch.

I took two pieces of Mara 70 and looped then together as they would be in a stitch, attached them to a pull scale and a handle with multiple wraps to avoid knots and pulled slowly to failure.

The thread broke at ~6 lbs.

Ignoring the fact, that like Ramblinrev, I believe the end channel will provide more strength than the straight pull breaking strength of the thread alone ... using 8 stitches per inch would provide a straight pull breaking strength of 48 lbs per inch of channel.

While entering a hammock, your weight may be concentrated on only a 16" width (wild guess) of fabric. 16" x 48 lb = 768 lbs breaking strength from a single row of stitching.

I think we're good to go with three rows of stitching and any good quality polyester thread.

Edit: did the same test with two additional quality 100% polyester threads frequently available locally.

Gutermann Sew-All ~3.4 lbs

Mettler Metrosene Plus ~4.4 lbs
    Last edited by gmcttr; 10-12-2013 at 10:47.

Hammock
    Hennessey Explorer Ultralight
    Tarp
    Hennessey Hex
    Insulation
    HH Super Shelter
    Suspension
    ring buckle
    Images
    There is a gospel object lesson I have used numerous times. (Don't worry I'll not give the message except in PM to anyone who requests it) One piece of thread is tied around a persons hands which of course is broken almost without effort. As successive wraps are made it quickly becomes impossible to break the loops. I had one guy try so hard he actually cut himself before he could break it. (I asked for the strongest guy is the school... he readily accepted and did not heed the request to stop. Macho fool.) In any event, the stuff can be pretty darn strong.
    I may be slow... But I sure am gimpy.

"Bless you child, when you set out to thread a needle don't hold the thread still and fetch the needle up to it; hold the needle still and poke the thread at it; that's the way a woman most always does, but a man always does t'other way."
    Mrs. Loftus to Huck Finn

We Don't Sew... We Make Gear! video series

Important thread injector guidelines especially for Newbies

Bobbin Tension - A Personal Viewpoint

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast