Page 22 of 38 FirstFirst ... 12202122232432 ... LastLast
    Hammock
    Kammok Roo
    I've gone off the deep end! 18 of the jackets have made their way into my house! I've pretty much cleared out the three stores within my normal commute... Now I just need to start working on them! I had this weird fear that if I didn't buy them all up, I would be one short of something I wanted to do, and they would be all gone!

End results I am hoping for;
    TQ's and UQ's for myself, my wife, and my 6 year old. ( Should take up 12 of them or so...with a couple left over to wear or convert to a vest at least.(luckily I wear a 3XLT in these, so I have options to use them for something else if needed!)

I might try to make a really loose quilt style blanket for around the house with the rest. Just having the jackets lay across my legs while I was sorting them was nice and cozy!

Hammock
    Ticket to the Moon Double
    Tarp
    Guide Gear 11.5x14
    Insulation
    3/4 DIY UQ
    Suspension
    BIAS Whoopie kit
    I get a call this afternoon from my Mom and she just HAPPENS to be at JC Penny. Guess what I had her go look for?!

"If everyone is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking."
    George S. Patton

The 50 State Project: Thread
    The 50 State Project: Table

Hammock
    WB RidgeRunner
    Tarp
    8x10 DIY (speer)
    Insulation
    KAQ Lost River
    Suspension
    Straps
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Hegone View Post
    I went to the local JC Penneys and found some clearance jackets but was not sure if they were down filled. Do these jackets have a name or a tag that says down filled?
    You'll know right away... they're lighter than your brain thinks they should be.. and come with a stuff sack.

Squeeze the jacket and it compresses to nothing. Now go to the other rack and squeeze a synthetic jacket... Huge difference...

John
    "Do or do not, there is no try." -- Yoda

Hammock
    Skeeter Beater Pro
    Tarp
    Old Coleman tent f
    Insulation
    ccf pad
    Has everyone been overlapping the edges on the jacket panels and stitching them up or are you pinching them together and stitching them like an inside seam on a stuff sack ? I was thinking the flat overlap would cause cold spots.

Hammock
    WB RidgeRunner
    Tarp
    8x10 DIY (speer)
    Insulation
    KAQ Lost River
    Suspension
    Straps
    Images
    The puffer jacket is already sewn through... so I would just continue it by sewing the edges together...

This JCP Puffer -> UQ is a great idea... must have taken some genius to throw that idea out there . . . .

Great work folks... Now I have to run to JCP and see if there are any left!
    "Do or do not, there is no try." -- Yoda

Hammock
    Sheltowee 20
    Tarp
    Speer
    Insulation
    Burrow
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnSawyer View Post
    ... Now I have to run to JCP and see if there are any left!
    Don't forget to check the Big and Tall section, we found a separate stash there. They also had some in the back, for some reason.
    Something hidden. Go and find it. Go, and look behind the Ranges. Something lost behind the Ranges. Lost and waiting for you . . . Go! - Rudyard Kipling

Quote Originally Posted by MokoLoko View Post
    Here's my write up:
    ....There are three stitches that need to be ripped. When looking at the inside of the jacket you see a ribbon covering the seam. This is held on with a single straight stitch. Under that there is a crossover stitch on edge of the raw material and also a straight stitch that holds the two panels together...
    Moko
    So you do not remove the ribbon from the inside first but rather work your way to it from the outside? Do you separate the corners on the inside?

Sorry, I am new to the sewing game so it is a little confusing to me, but watching your video I was encouraged that this can be done in a reasonable amount of time.

Hammock
    WBRR, 35 inch dogbones
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole/OMWintr
    Insulation
    UGQ/HG/AHE
    Suspension
    Whoops/Dutch Bling
    Images
    After wearing my jacket for a while since buying it around the first of Jan when these went on sale. I wanted to post,,these leak like a sive as when I wear anything dark..I look like a pluked duck!!! Still warm tho.
    2nd CAG, CAP 2-1-5 5th Marines, 1st Mar. Div.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Combined_Action_Program

Hammock
    Northwoods Hammock
    Tarp
    Zpacks Cuben wdoor
    Insulation
    Hammock gear incub
    Suspension
    Whoopies & Dutchw
    Quote Originally Posted by packeagle View Post

Here is my mod. I added climashield armpit patches to help extend the sleeves. Added grosgrain around the arm opening. Added 4 grosgrain loops and shock cord to hold them on. Wear them over or under your vest.
    Is this the under quilt and top quilt?

Hammock
    Northwoods Hammock
    Tarp
    Zpacks Cuben wdoor
    Insulation
    Hammock gear incub
    Suspension
    Whoopies & Dutchw
    Quote Originally Posted by deerfu View Post
    This idea was mentioned in another thread in the donating members section so I decided to give it a shot. These jackets are 650 down filled and were on clearance for $14 each. The size I picked up for this project was 3xlt. I removed the sleeves and sewed up the arms from the inside. Then sewed the bottom of the 2 jackets together. I still have to ad my suspension but work is calling so I'll have to do that and post finished and hanging pics later. I also have 2 nice and light weight sets of sleeves to start another project with. I've posted a pic of the quilt in the stuff sack that came with the jacket next to a bottle. It will still compress down to about half this size so if I can get my suspension right I will have a quilt that will take up half the room of my synthetic. This is my first attempt at diy sewing to- more pics to come. If anyone has good ideas on hanging it please feel free to post. I need all the help I can get.
    Excellent innovation! I am thinking a little different. attach points to jacket for connecting to hammock as underquilt that i can still wear, although having an xxl wouldn't be too wearable.... Prob get some quilt hooks from Dutch or something.

• + New Posts
  • Page 22 of 38 FirstFirst ... 12202122232432 ... LastLast