Hammock
    Dangerbird, (custom) thanks Papa
    Tarp
    10x10 DIY
    Insulation
    DIY insultex.
    Suspension
    Woopie, UCR
    I dont get it. I thought the purpose of the SRL was to limit how far the ends of the hammock could be pulled apart and thus fix the angle of sag, thereby providing a consistent lay.
    If that is the purpose of the SRL then why does it matter what the angle of the suspension is?
    I understand force is multiplied at a lower angle, but if the trees, tree huggers, suspension system, and SRL can handle the force then what is wrong with using trees that are 20-30' apart with a 5-10* angle? The hammock angle is set by the SRL and the SRL is taking the load, not the hammock, because the SRL, is shorter than the hammock.
    What am I missing here?
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by ibgary; 01-21-2013 at 10:17.

For those interested, there is a free Android App in the Google Play Store that also calculates suspension length and height based on tree distance and other variables.

Search for "Hammock Tools" in the Google Play Store.

I did a couple of quick comparisons between the Hammock Tools app and the http://theultimatehang.com/hammock-hang-calculator/. The results are very close if not exactly the same.

Hammock
    Dangerbird Custom in ACU Camo
    Tarp
    Superfly camo
    Insulation
    Zissou 15 Dridown
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Sorry busy there for a bit! Great suggestions everyone I like the KISS principle cause I fit the stupid category. It's been full on winter storms here last few days so no chance to try out the new technique but I like the angle of the hammock idea. I will be taking measurements from the calculator to get comfortable with what 30 degrees looks like but ultimately papa smurph has allealed to my KISS principle.

The hammock felt a little strained when I later in it but it was comfortable, middle of it was pretty tight though. Not sure it that is normal but it doesn't seem to. Maybe with a better hanging angle I will have a better chance of keeping that darn pad under my butt as well.

Thanks everyone !

Hammock
    GT Double/Single
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Wallyworld CCF Pad
    Suspension
    Whoopies/MSH
    Quote Originally Posted by ibgary View Post
    I dont get it. I thought the purpose of the SRL was to limit how far the ends of the hammock could be pulled apart and thus fix the angle of sag, thereby providing a consistent lay.
    If that is the purpose of the SRL then why does it matter what the angle of the suspension is?
    I understand force is multiplied at a lower angle, but if the trees, tree huggers, suspension system, and SRL can handle the force then what is wrong with using trees that are 20-30' apart with a 5-10* angle? The hammock angle is set by the SRL and the SRL is taking the load, not the hammock, because the SRL, is shorter than the hammock.
    What am I missing here?
    You aren't missing anything. All of that is correct... But with the hang you propose the force would be pretty great... I just don't want to push my rig to the extreme like that if I can avoid it. Nine times out of ten you can adjust the suspension to reduce that force, so why wouldn't you? Of course if you can't, and you're confident in your set-up then you can fudge it, but that's not what needs to be taught to beginners as a rule of thumb.

Also I'd love to see some information on the forces applied to the SRL. Mine is Dyneema, and I believe it is rated to five hundred pounds. I'd be inclined to think an improper hang can easily approach that, but I'm no physics guy so I may be wrong.
    "We're the Sultans of Swing."

Hammock
    Dangerbird, (custom) thanks Papa
    Tarp
    10x10 DIY
    Insulation
    DIY insultex.
    Suspension
    Woopie, UCR
    My Srl is dynema also, 7/64. I think its rated at about 1,500 lbs. I agree with your thought of not over stressing the system. If the trees r 12-15' apart that's great, but I've also gone with a longer reach when I had no choice. That's why I went from woopie to UCR. It just gives me a longer reach if I need it. I may go to a single line suspension on my next diy. thanks

Hammock
    WBBB RR DBL 1.1 / DIY Multicam SL
    Tarp
    Superfly/HG CF
    Insulation
    Downy Goodness
    Suspension
    Whoopie/Dutch Clip
    You can get the hangle from Dutch

http://www.outdoortrailgear.com/feat...hammock-level/
    Husband, Father, and Friend.
    Scout Master and Cub Master for Troop/Pack 705 of