Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

What is a top-quilt??

First off, let me say that before I got a hammock for xmas, I had no idea there was this much activity and option around them. I am looking forward to the future of digging into this forum and actually getting a few nights in the woods in my new hammock.
    With that being said...This may sound like a dumb question, but I am pretty confused when i look at the top quilts. aren't they just a sleeping bag unzippered most of the way? So is this mainly a weight thing or what? I look forward to all replies!!!

Hammock
    HH Explorer w/ Zipper Mod #4
    Tarp
    ZQ Special w/mods
    Insulation
    Down
    Suspension
    Cinch and straps
    Images
    I'm home for lunch and like usual, check into HF to see what's going on. So let me take a stab at your question.

As you can imagine, the insulation in a sleeping bag that is underneath you when compressed looses much of its insulating ability. So, the idea in a hammock is to worry about the part of the bag that does not compress.....a top quilt concept. The area then needing insulation underneath you is then accomplished with an "underquilt" which hangs underneath the hammock (and up close to avoid drafts) or a Closed Cell Foam (CCF) pad. The CCF pad provides insulation where a compressed sleeping bag fill fails.

The top and under quilt concept is great for weight and space issues during winter camping. Pads take up a lot of room, even though they are fairly light.

Hope that helps some. I'm sure you'll receive lots of responses. You'll find everyone on HF is anxious to help out a new hammmock hanger. Welcome!

Hammock
    Warbonnet ON!
    Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    Yep, it's a weight thing. An unzipped bag will work, but you still have all the extra material that adds weight and bulk. An extra reason, for me, not using a bag is that I have zipper fear; I worry about the zipper catching on the hammock material and tearing.

Quilts (as used here) have a footbox that may, or may not, be permanent. A perfectly good synthetic topquilt can be made fairly inexpensively. Jardine quilts are popular, easy, and quality gear.
    Trust nobody!

Hammock
    JRB Bear Mtn. Bridge
    Tarp
    BlackCat/JRB 11x10
    Insulation
    Pad(s)/JRB Quilts
    Images
    Yes you can just use your bag unzipped as a top quilt. Most here prefer using a top quilt such as those sold by jacks r better www.jacksrbetter.com

Check out Just Jeffs (member here) site. It is truely hammock camping boot camp.
    www.tothewoods.net/HammockCamping.html
    "Every day above ground is a good day"

Images
    an unzipped sleeping bad may 60+ inches wide, when really a 48" wide topquilt is plenty wide, so you're looking at removeing alot of fabric and insulation from the side. i also found that when a sleeping bag is just unzipped it's so much wider than necessary that it is cumbersome.

Hammock
    BB
    Tarp
    zpacks cuben
    Insulation
    te-wa Freeze
    Suspension
    whoOpie slings
    Images
    the only issue(s) that arise when using an unzipped bag as a top quilt are the width. Most sleeping bags, even mummy shaped, have a girth of 60-64 inches. That is a huge waste of fabric and filling when used as a TQ. Unless your a very large person, a 48" wide quilt is totally sufficient. My thin frame gets by with 42" quilts very nicely. The 42" would never work well on the ground though.
    Extra width in an unzipped bag means: larger packing volume, heavier weight. Kind of a redundancy, if you can dig it.
    if you want a TQ that works in a hammock or on the ground (in the rare instance you have to sleep there) the GoLight Ultra 20 is a fine choice. There are synthetic quilts that also work great if you are shy about down.

Hammock
    Blackbird
    Tarp
    MacCat Standard
    Insulation
    Winter Yeti, MWUQ4
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Just think of it as a blanket like you use at home, but made of sleeping bag material.
    “Republics are created by the virtue, public spirit, and intelligence of the citizens. They fall when the wise are banished from the public councils because they dare to be honest, and the profligate are rewarded because they flatter the people, in order to betray them.” ~Judge Joseph Story

- My site: http://www.tothewoods.net/
    - Designer, Jeff's Gear Hammock / Pack Cover by JRB

IMPOSSIBLE JUST TAKES LONGER

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    Cuben
    Insulation
    Phoenix
    Suspension
    Strap, Whoopie
    Images
    A top quilt is a way to spend more money on your new hobby.

Hammock
    HH HyperLite w/ Zipper Mod#2
    Tarp
    MC Spinntex Deluxe
    Insulation
    JRB Mt Wash 3 & 4

Nunatak

I love my Nunatak Arc Ghost Top Quilt.
    http://www.nunatakusa.com/site07/arc.../arc_ghost.htm

Useable width:
    shoulder 46"
    hip 43"
    foot 34"

If I were to order again I would add a few extra inches to the width. When I'm on my side with the legs curled up I have to shift it just right to provide full coverage. On my back its perfect. I'm 5' 10" and about 160lbs.

They are slightly expensive but worth it. Top quality!

Hammock
    WB Blackbird & Traveler
    Tarp
    MC SpinntexDeLux
    Insulation
    MW3,Yeti,HGsb,UL90
    Suspension
    WS
    Images
    In addition to the weight/volume saving over a bag of similar warmth IMHO top quilts are easier to get into/under than bags in a hammock, more versatile for temperature control compared to any bag with a side zipper. I'm a cold sleeper . My comfort range using a JRB Nest and appropriate under side insulation has been from the low 60F to low 20F. Light weight to mid weight base layer with balaclava for sleep clothing.
    Noel V.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast