DYI, ENO DB, HH
    Tarp
    Varies
    Insulation
    WOOL
    Suspension
    STOCK
    Quote Originally Posted by cesnyderces View Post
    He also said that he would let the fire go out before going to sleep. Makes sense to me.
    I have seen fires where people intend to "put the fire out before going to sleep", only problem is the drift off to sleep, before putting out the fire.

We lived on the edge of a Federal Wilderness Area in Oregon, just outside of Portland. We would get at least a person a month that had been badly burnt, either with their little stove, their fire making practices, or sometimes their gear would melt onto their skin. Getting all wrapped in Nylon, while fun makes me very concerned...

Anyway, just something to think about. I notice some of the nylon says that it is fire retardent, not sure about that statement nor what chemicals were used. I know they took the kids PJs that were fire retardent off the market, years ago, because of the chemicals used in the mfg.

I guess I am just a might over concerned...

Hammock
    Underquilts.com doublenest
    Tarp
    12x10 DIY w/ doors
    Insulation
    TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    Woopie/Tree Strap
    Quote Originally Posted by HURTHEART View Post
    I have seen fires where people intend to "put the fire out before going to sleep", only problem is the drift off to sleep, before putting out the fire.

We lived on the edge of a Federal Wilderness Area in Oregon, just outside of Portland. We would get at least a person a month that had been badly burnt, either with their little stove, their fire making practices, or sometimes their gear would melt onto their skin. Getting all wrapped in Nylon, while fun makes me very concerned...

Anyway, just something to think about. I notice some of the nylon says that it is fire retardent, not sure about that statement nor what chemicals were used. I know they took the kids PJs that were fire retardent off the market, years ago, because of the chemicals used in the mfg.

I guess I am just a might over concerned...
    If you really are worried, a guy out of Nashville TN developed a product for protecting houses from burning. More specifically protecting the wood for up to 4 hours or so.

Anyhow the product can be painted or sprayed onto the wood during the construction process, perhaps you could coat your hammock. Not sure what the dry qualities are though and if/how it would affect the texture of the nylon.

Hammock
    WBBB DL 1.1 & 1.7
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    HG Incbtr-AH Potmc
    Suspension
    WB Adj Web
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by cesnyderces View Post
    I watched a video recently, forget who exactly, sorry, but he showed his MSR tent with a fireproof stove hole in the tent wall, his hammock hung out of the way. I liked that part, help preventing a potential fire. He also said that he would let the fire go out before going to sleep. Makes sense to me.
    That was wahiker
    http://www.youtube.com/user/wawhiker
    The road to success is always under construction.
    http://hikingillinois.blogspot.com/

Hammock
    Camo Clark NX 250
    Tarp
    Custom Smokehouse
    I know smokehouse is making more of his self named tarps out of multicam material that's not only water proof, it's fire retardant! Not exactly ultralight but hey safety rarely is.
    Rules to live by:The Wizards Rules
    Anything can be solved by the proper application of High Explosives. Or a shot of whiskey...
    Meaning of the EOD Badge
    Explosive Ordnance Disposal (EOD) is a science of vague assumptions based on debatable figures derived from inconclusive experiments, performed by persons of doubtful mental capability with instruments of problematic accuracy.

Hammock
    Traveler
    Tarp
    Mamajamba
    Insulation
    New River
    Suspension
    WB Webbing
    Images
    Personally I would prefer to use natural fibers, since they don't melt to you. However I don't know of a natural fiber that would match the performance of nylon/poly fabric.

Hammock
    WBRR, Lots of DIY
    Tarp
    MacCat; Cloudburst
    Insulation
    Lynx, HG T/UQ, AHE
    Suspension
    Varies
    Quote Originally Posted by nickgann View Post
    ...Anyhow the product can be painted or sprayed onto the wood during the construction process, perhaps you could coat your hammock...
    A military contract we had several years ago called for fire retardant treated wood for a "pole barn". Our sub found a company to spray on a chemical treatment.

The army engineers needed convincing beyond the provided test reports. A demonstration ensued...the rep placed ~6 layers of treated newspaper squares on his open hand followed by a copper penny. He then used a torch to melt the penny. 2-3 of the newspaper layers were charred around the copper blob. His hand remained cool and he was nice enough, as he placed the paper and copper on the table, to advise us not to touch it for a while.

The engineers were convinced.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12