any way to prevent the water to pass from trunk to hammock?

dear sirs

sometimes my 2 anchoring points are too close and it is not worth to search for a better one (several motives, for example, not to loose a good spot near the campfire on a cold day)

i this situations, the hammock looks like a chair and since the hammock is longer than the distance between the trees trunks, i end in wrappiing the hammock fabric itself around the trunk, like a rope.

i know its not a good thing but sometimes it happens

and when it happens in a rainy day, its the horror.. the rain fall dow along the tree trunk til my hammock fabric.. and then its get soaked (it is made of cotton).. atracting more and more water and redirecting it directly to inside of my hammock that becomes all soaked.. a real pain when it is dark and you dont want to search for another spot in the woods under the rain.

so, i use to bring a cheap square plastic tarp and some rubber bands and when i think it will rain, i wrap this tarp all around each tree log, just above my anchoring point, apllying the rubber bands to get it steady.

then i make the same thing in the other trunk and try to sleep the rest of the night below this shelter

it works.. but the plastic tarp is too heavy, its not durable, the setup is ugly, it is slow to get it done and i thinks it maybe not the best solution abroad.

so, i came here to ask if anyone know a better way to deal with this kind of problem.

i plan to substitute my plastic tarp for a 70d silnylon one

but i cant immagine a better way to stop the water running down the trunk from reach my hammock fabric wrapped around the trunk.

can anyone help with some idea or picture?

it is not a commom situation
    but it happens and is a very difficult to deal off.

as always, thanks a lot!

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG TQ,UQ, DIY
    Suspension
    Whoopies or rings
    I would have to say just to find trees farther apart. I can't think of a way to keep it from wicking water off the tree. If I understand correctly you are tying the hammock itself around the tree? No suspension? I'm sure there is something you could do but just seems much easier to find trees at proper distance apart and use tree straps and suspension.
    "I love not man the less, but Nature more."
    Byron

Hammock
    WB RidgeRunner
    Tarp
    8x10 DIY (speer)
    Insulation
    KAQ Lost River
    Suspension
    Straps
    Images
    I can't see anything helping that issue....

maybe tightly tying a pack towel strip around the hammock just one side of the tree will help, but ultimately the fabric will wick water down to you...
    "Do or do not, there is no try." -- Yoda

Hammock
    DIY Dangerous Bird
    Tarp
    DIY Rooftop
    Insulation
    DIY Apex/Argon
    Suspension
    whoopies
    Images
    I agree, this situation sounds like it can only be fixed by starting off the right way with trees the right distance apart. It's like pitching you tent in a drainage ditch but wanting to stay dry. You have to pick the right spot for all the rest of your gear to be able to work for you.
    -Jon-

what about, instead of tying the hammock to the tree

use a piece of rope, tie it around the tree, then tie a sheet bend to the hammock.. attach drip strings to rope

Hammock
    Hennessy/ENO/DIY
    Tarp
    Mosquito Diamond
    Insulation
    pad
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    IMHO, being closer to the fire doesn't warrant tying your hammock onto the tree and getting miserably wet! You also won't be as comfortable. Sit by the fire and sleep comfortably by getting the proper angle. I think you'll be happier in the long run.

Hammock
    Clark NX-250
    Tarp
    Hennessey Hex
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    It seems to me that you would not want to sacrifice your hammock like that! In an emergency, yes, maybe, but not to be closer to the fire. I think that your best bet would be to tie a rope or strap around the tree and attach the hammock to that. you could let the excess hammock hang down and act like drip lines.

Hammock
    HH Exped w DIY ZipMod & WBBB
    Tarp
    DIY 12' BlackCat
    Insulation
    DIY Down TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    DIY Whoopie Sling
    Images

My solution to stopping rain from wicking down my suspension straps onto my hammock iso to intoduce a barrier like an o-ring (illustrated above). I'll then hand a short piece of rope from the bottom of the ring. The ring should be verticle, as opposed to sideways as in the picture. The orientation was caused by the weight of my underquilt.

This way you can ride out a monsoon.
    Survival is about getting out alive, Bushcraft is about going in to live - Chard (aka Forest-Hobo)

Upcoming EGL Hangs:
    tbd. For EGL notifications, subscribe to the EGL Hang Notification Thread
    EGL Trip Reports:
    The Collection Follow me on Instagram

• + New Posts