Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Hammock
    WBBB XLC 1.7d
    Tarp
    HG WinterPalace
    Suspension
    straps whoopie

Weight rating question

I am looking at the WBBB. the 1.1dl is rated at 275lb. I am knocking at the door of 275lb. My questions is can I get by with the 1.1dl or should I plan on the 1.7dl rated for 400lb or 1.9dl rated at 350lb. I would like to keep my pack light as possible.

Hammock
    GT Double/Single
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Wallyworld CCF Pad
    Suspension
    Whoopies/MSH
    Are you gaining or losing weight? Is 275 a high for you or a low... It's like buying a set of pants; you just have to guess whether you're more likely to go up a size or down a size.
    "We're the Sultans of Swing."

Hammock
    WBBB/TR, DIY, HH, SB DL, GT UL
    Tarp
    ID/OES/WB/WL
    Insulation
    HG/WB/Go-Lite/WB
    Suspension
    Whoopie/Straps/DW
    Images
    There is always some room given to these ratings but as OldRagFreeze mentioned, best to understand you before deciding.
    The key to immortality is first living a life worth remembering. - St. Augustine

Some people feel the rain. Others just get wet.
    - Bob Marley

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird 1.7
    Tarp
    Zpacks Cuben Fiber
    Insulation
    Leigh's UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies/Treestrap
    At one point I was in that weight that weight class. I have both a 1.1 and 1.7 both worked / work well. But for whatever reason the the 1.7 has always seemed more comfortable to me. If you can deal with the extra few ounces. I would say get the 1.7.
    Terry

Hammock
    WBBB XLC 1.7d
    Tarp
    HG WinterPalace
    Suspension
    straps whoopie
    275 is high. I am not planning on dieting. I am an old fart so losing weight is not going to just happen. If I stay on the trail a while (months, which are not in the cards right now) I sure I would loose some. Right now 10-14 day at the very best.

Hammock
    WBRR
    Tarp
    Super Fly & HG
    Insulation
    UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie or Webbing
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by canoe View Post
    I am looking at the WBBB. the 1.1dl is rated at 275lb. I am knocking at the door of 275lb. My questions is can I get by with the 1.1dl or should I plan on the 1.7dl rated for 400lb or 1.9dl rated at 350lb. I would like to keep my pack light as possible.
    If it was me I'd bump it up. When you factor in the extra gear for added weight ie like the U/Q, T/Q or bag, flashlight, extra warm clothes, books, TV, or stereo equipment, cooler for snacks, etc. Sheesh no wonder my backpack is so heavy.
    Kidding aside check with Brandon at the web site he should have the best advice for you.

Hammock
    GT Double/Single
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Wallyworld CCF Pad
    Suspension
    Whoopies/MSH
    Quote Originally Posted by Poppabear View Post
    At one point I was in that weight that weight class. I have both a 1.1 and 1.7 both worked / work well. But for whatever reason the the 1.7 has always seemed more comfortable to me. If you can deal with the extra few ounces. I would say get the 1.7.
    This is a good point. It is my understanding that heavier nylon will have less stretch, which some find more comfortable. So not only will your weight potentially lead to failure of the hammock (I can't say for sure, but I'd be willing to bet that WB has allowed for plenty of wiggle room in their ratings so I doubt this is a serious concern for you) but it also will change the level of comfort you may experience.

I'm in the 'not a weight-weenie but weight-conscious' group when it comes to my pack, so for me I like to know what my gear weighs and I determine if the costs of going lighter are worth it. In the case of anything related to comfort in sleeping the answer is always no for me. I figure an extra 8 ounces to carry on the trail is easily compensated for by a slightly better night of sleep.

If you constantly have to go to sleep with 'is my hammock going to fail?' in the back of your mind then you will lose sleep. Not worth it in my opinion.
    "We're the Sultans of Swing."

Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    Edge/superfly
    Insulation
    Adict
    I'm a slim 235 but have noticed a difference between 1.0dbl and the 1.9 dbl. The heavier fabric has less stretch. In some ways I like the feeling of being wrapped in the lighter weight but it does make a tougher fit for an UQ.

Hammock
    Dream Hammock
    Tarp
    UGQ
    Insulation
    UGQ
    You can likely "get by" with the dl1.1.
    I think it mostly depends on what you are comfortable with.

I much prefer a firmer hammock body and don't care for any "springyness" or "stretchyness".
    I tend to recommend heavier fabrics because they are firmer and tend to hold their shape a little better. Also a slightly heavy fabric will hold you higher in the hammock and not allow you to sink down into it quite as much. This is a real plus for those of us who aren't very flexible and have short stubby arms and legs.

On the other hand, like keg said, some people like that secure wrapped up feeling you get with a lighter fabric.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 SL
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    WB and UGQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies or Straps
    Images
    I used to use a DL 1.1 when I was 275lbs and it felt comfortable but as mentioned, there is more stretchyness which I did not mind. When I had a DL 1.7 it definitely felt more firm. Even now I use a SL 1.7 with a 250lbs rating which is right around where I am. Again, I don't mind the stretchy/ wrapped feeling. To echo what others have said, it depends on you and what you feel comfortable with.
    Don't let life get in the way of living.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast