Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Dutchware
    Images

Question about my hammock sock

I made a sock from some 1.1 ultra sil (60") using TED plans. I hung it up yesterday, but have two issues.

1.) there is way too much fabric! The nylon puddles on the ground under the hammock. How much extra do I want to avoid compression?

2.) the sock isn't as long as my fabric. Can I just hang it with s-hooks to my whoopies like an underquilt?

Thanks,
    Demeter

Hammock
    DIY gathered end
    Tarp
    Hinterland gear
    Insulation
    down bag
    Suspension
    strap & E.T.'s
    Images
    1.) you could get in and have someone pin along under you with a reasonable amount of wiggle room then sew along the pin line and cut off the excess.

2.) yes you could suspend like an qu. you could also put some prusiks on your whoopies to hang the sock from. Sliding the prusiks up the whoopie (toward the tree) would raise the sock up off the ground more.
    Good luck,
    RED

My Youtube Channel

Deep peace of the running wave to you.
    Deep peace of the flowing air to you.
    Deep peace of the quiet earth to you.
    Deep peace of the shining stars to you.
    Deep peace without end to you.
    adapted from - ancient gaelic runes

Hammock
    WWM or tablecloth
    Tarp
    SuperFly
    Insulation
    shamu 40*
    Suspension
    UCR whoopie
    Images
    Pics would help...

But I think your saying it is touching the ground... To me that's what I wanted in my sock... To have a drier warmer place to drop my pack, shoes and extra insulation... I know that's not everyone's plans... But that's what I wanted... You could also put some tie out points and tie it out a little, I found in a heavy sustained winds that a few tie out would have saved from having the sock compress my down and push the hammock around...
    Live, Laugh, Love, if that doesn't work. Load, Aim and Fire, repeat as necessary...

Buy, Try, Learn, Repeat

Hammock
    Darien UL
    Tarp
    ZPacks Cuben
    Insulation
    WL SSUQ/HG TQ
    Suspension
    Dyna Whoopies
    1. I have that same problem. The next one I make I'm gonna use Fronkeys bugnet method of measuring and cutting the bottom, but still have the top entry. I made one of his bugnets and it didn't compress anything and I didn't have a bunch of extra material so I'm sure it will work.
    "As a well spent day brings happy sleep, a well spent life brings happy death." -Da Vinci

Hammock
    BIAS WW and DIY Bridge
    Tarp
    JRB 11x10 Cat Tarp
    Insulation
    Leighlo and JRB
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    I was planning on making a TED sock, but got distracted with making a hammock first. However, for the design I got in my hammock with the under quilt attached and then had my son measure from the ridgeline to the deepest part of my hammock on the outside of the hammock without compressing my under quilt. I think it was somewhere between 48-50".

Hammock
    WWM or tablecloth
    Tarp
    SuperFly
    Insulation
    shamu 40*
    Suspension
    UCR whoopie
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave-O View Post
    I was planning on making a TED sock, but got distracted with making a hammock first. However, for the design I got in my hammock with the under quilt attached and then had my son measure from the ridgeline to the deepest part of my hammock on the outside of the hammock without compressing my under quilt. I think it was somewhere between 48-50".
    Remember that you need to a lot for a width... Your not pencil thin and you usually don't lay in a straight line, you need excess fabric to make up for diagonal lay and width of person...
    Live, Laugh, Love, if that doesn't work. Load, Aim and Fire, repeat as necessary...

Buy, Try, Learn, Repeat

Hammock
    Warbonnet BB DL 1.1 & Lite Owl
    Tarp
    Black MacCat Del.
    Insulation
    Yeti 3,4 & HRQ/HGB
    Suspension
    webbing/whoopie
    Images
    The only thing i would add is take a couple of cloths pins and pin the top of your sock to the RL of the hammock before you have someone pin the bottom of the sock.

bill
    " The mind creates the abyss, the heart crosses it."

“The measure of your life will not be in what you accumulate, but in what you give away.” ~Wayne Dyer

www.birchsidecustomwoodwork.com

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    DIY
    Insulation
    Goose bumps
    Suspension
    Bat Feet
    I made mine in the Fronkey style bottom entry. Once inside, I can reach down and tighten the bottom from in the hammock. Rides just above the ground. Hammock is 11' and I sleep at a pretty good diagonal.

Love is blind. Marriage is an eye opener.

Hammock
    G-Bird II/Bridge
    Tarp
    Ogee tarp
    Insulation
    DIY TQ DIY Down UQ
    Suspension
    whoopies
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Demeter View Post
    I made a sock from some 1.1 ultra sil (60") using TED plans. I hung it up yesterday, but have two issues.

Sil is generally avoided as a sock material. Due to its waterproof/non-breathable characteristics, you may/will have condensation issues. Or worse..you could suffocate.
    1.) there is way too much fabric! The nylon puddles on the ground under the hammock. How much extra do I want to avoid compression?

Trim to fit or suspend your hammock higher. Are you using a ridgeline? Two panels of 60" fabric should make a roomy sock. If a helper isn't available, fill the hammock with gear to simulate your body shape (pillows can work), then pin up some of the extra, leaving a little. Be sure to include your uq when sizing the sock.

2.) the sock isn't as long as my fabric. Can I just hang it with s-hooks to my whoopies like an underquilt?

Since the sil is non-breathable, now may be a good time to add vents. Leaving gaps at each end may allow for adequate ventilation for the condensation control. Shortening your rl may also help with the length issue, if applicapable.

Thanks,
    Demeter
    Pics would help

Hammock
    HH Hyperlite, BMBH UL
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Dutchware
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by gargoyle View Post
    pics would help...Sil is generally avoided as a sock material. Due to its waterproof/non-breathable characteristics, you may/will have condensation issues. Or worse..you could suffocate.
    I was totally wrong about the fabric. It is 1.1 ripstop nylon with dwr. Is that okay? The fabric is supposed to be breathable. I certainly don't have to worry about suffocation with all the gaps I have at the top and ends right now

I don't think I could put my hammock *much* higher or I will have a hard time getting in and out...

I will try to get some posted soon. work and play have kept me out of the hammock for the last week...

[QUOTE=SnrMoment;917077]I made mine in the Fronkey style bottom entry. Once inside, I can reach down and tighten the bottom from in the hammock. Rides just above the ground. Hammock is 11' and I sleep at a pretty good diagonal.QUOTE]

Maybe I could leave it loose but put a channel for additional shock cord. But then it would add extra weight. Hmmm....

Quote Originally Posted by Brute1100 View Post
    But I think your saying it is touching the ground... To me that's what I wanted in my sock... To have a drier warmer place to drop my pack, shoes and extra insulation... I know that's not everyone's plans... But that's what I wanted... You could also put some tie out points and tie it out a little, I found in a heavy sustained winds that a few tie out would have saved from having the sock compress my down and push the hammock around...
    This is what I was wondering!! When I got in it, I thought "this is way too much fabric!", but then I saw a great opportunity to keep some stuff dry in the bottom. Plus, I can put my feet (in socks!) on the ground and change clothes. How do you keep the bottom of the sock from getting all gross? Do you put yours in a stuff sack? Does the bottom get drenched?

I did order a pair of tarp pull outs from dutch, Can't wait to see how much extra room I have!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Redoleary View Post
    you could suspend like an qu. you could also put some prusiks on your whoopies to hang the sock from. Sliding the prusiks up the whoopie (toward the tree) would raise the sock up off the ground more.
    I like the prusik idea, thanks!

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast