Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Hammock
    DIY Gathered end type
    Tarp
    DIY Cat Cut Hex

Favorite Gather/Whipping Method?

Hello, I was wondering what most people are using for their gather/whipping methods? I am currently using the "W" gather and whip. It's worked great so far, but I've seen some people mention other methods as well. Has anyone done a comparison of the different methods? Is there a list of methods? Is this something that is mostly decided by whim and I'm simply opening a huge can of worms?

Dave

Hammock
    WBBB; Bridge in progress
    Tarp
    DIY Hex
    Insulation
    Short UQ/pad combo
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    View this thread for two different techniques when it comes to the whipping and incorporating the ridgeline.

Visit JustJeff's site or this thread for HC4U's method for gathering and whipping.

JustJeff also has used zip ties to circumvent the whipping.

My method that I use to gather the ends are different for the head and foot end because I found that the "scrunch and pull the ends" method leaves the foot end more narrow and tight and the fold method allows more room in the head end. But... YMMV.

Hammock
    Blackbird
    Tarp
    MacCat Standard
    Insulation
    Winter Yeti, MWUQ4
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    My current favorite is zip-ties...takes up less fabric and it's much quicker. Don't forget about the double-sheetbend where you don't have to whip.

Whether or not I use the W depends on the fabric. It was comfortable on the 1.4 oz polyester (I think that's what it was) but not necessary on the 1.9 oz nylon. At least the ones I had at the time...it's wallyworld fabric so there may be differences between batches.
    “Republics are created by the virtue, public spirit, and intelligence of the citizens. They fall when the wise are banished from the public councils because they dare to be honest, and the profligate are rewarded because they flatter the people, in order to betray them.” ~Judge Joseph Story

- My site: http://www.tothewoods.net/
    - Designer, Jeff's Gear Hammock / Pack Cover by JRB

IMPOSSIBLE JUST TAKES LONGER

Hammock
    DIY Gathered end type
    Tarp
    DIY Cat Cut Hex
    Hey Jeff, got a question for you. I remember spending a lot of time looking at your site when I started making my hammock (great site by the way, way too much information!) and for some reason when I made my W gather, I didn't just pull the corners out, but the center of the W as well, essentially pulling the middle of the hammock tighter and allowing me to hang flatter. Have you ever tried this as well? I didn't see any reference to this on your site. Just wondering, just a question, for Just Jeff.

Dave

Hammock
    Hammock gear
    Tarp
    Dyneema Hammock ge
    Insulation
    Down top and botto
    Suspension
    Hammock gear
    Images
    I use the double sheet bend knot, or make a channel like a Claytor. Mule
    Predictions are risky, especially when it comes to the future.

Hammock
    Blackbird
    Tarp
    MacCat Standard
    Insulation
    Winter Yeti, MWUQ4
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Doftya View Post
    ...I didn't just pull the corners out, but the center of the W as well, essentially pulling the middle of the hammock tighter and allowing me to hang flatter. Have you ever tried this as well?
    I don't think I ever tried it that way, but I see how it may help you lay flatter. One thing I always saw was that that the tighter I pulled the sides the less flat I laid. It made the hammock more comfortable overall b/c I didn't have material flopping in my face and it was easier to move around w/o feeling like I was going to fall out, but it also felt like my legs were pulled in just a bit tighter. Maybe pulling out the middle of the W would be a good compromise between the two.
    “Republics are created by the virtue, public spirit, and intelligence of the citizens. They fall when the wise are banished from the public councils because they dare to be honest, and the profligate are rewarded because they flatter the people, in order to betray them.” ~Judge Joseph Story

- My site: http://www.tothewoods.net/
    - Designer, Jeff's Gear Hammock / Pack Cover by JRB

IMPOSSIBLE JUST TAKES LONGER

Hammock
    DIY Gathered end type
    Tarp
    DIY Cat Cut Hex
    I've found that doing that creates distinct pockets on either side for your legs and shoulders. After trying different gather methods a number of times, I've noticed the following things. If you pull the center of the W the same amount as the outsides, then the ridge is very pronounced and leads to some shoulder squeeze. The best compromise I've found so far is to pull the outsides about two inches, and the center of the W I'll pull only one inch. maybe I'll try what some have suggested and use the W gather at the foot end and a roll method for the head end. I've used regular whipping so the change is only a matter of time, not material.

Hammock
    home-made
    Tarp
    home-made
    Images
    I think that I used a combination between the W and scrunch methods. I folded the middle and just scrunched up the outsides. That might be because my patience runs too short sometimes, though.
    I pull a bit on the outsides, but not as much as is suggested some places.

I don't remember exactly because it's been awhile, and I changed it as I went along over the course of a few days... getting it as comfortable as possible.
    www.Adventure-Some.com
    More Adventure in Your Daily Life

New Member calculating infinity's Avatar
    Hammock
    diy speer type
    Tarp
    jrb 8x8
    Insulation
    ccf
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    i dont know where i read it but my first hammock used an a-sym whipping, my new one originally used the W style but i got bored the other day so its now a slippery sheet bend.

Hammock
    Hennessey Explorer Ultralight
    Tarp
    Hennessey Hex
    Insulation
    HH Super Shelter
    Suspension
    ring buckle
    Images
    My first hammock had a asym cut with an asym whip. Talk about making things hard on yourself.
    I may be slow... But I sure am gimpy.

"Bless you child, when you set out to thread a needle don't hold the thread still and fetch the needle up to it; hold the needle still and poke the thread at it; that's the way a woman most always does, but a man always does t'other way."
    Mrs. Loftus to Huck Finn

We Don't Sew... We Make Gear! video series

Important thread injector guidelines especially for Newbies

Bobbin Tension - A Personal Viewpoint

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast