Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    New River, Woobie
    Suspension
    Webbing

New Traveler Owner

First, I'm new to hammocking.

I finally got a chance to hang in my Traveler last night. It wasn't exactly a good nights sleep for several reasons.

1) There was a notable ridge toward the foot end, it usually wound up in the back of my knee or maybe my calf muscle.
    2) It also felt when laying on my back like my legs were a little hyper-extended at the knee. I was wondering if you guys had any tricks I might try on this?
    3) I kept sliding toward the foot end.

Could it be ridge-line tension? Angle of lay? Failure to sprinkle the new rig with goats blood?

Thank you for your time and help,
    Adam

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 SL
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    WB and UGQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies or Straps
    Images
    The tension behind your calf is very common in gathered end hammocks. The hyper extended feeling is also not uncommon. To remedy all three of your points there are some things that can be done.

Set up your hammock with the foot end higher than the head end. How much higher is personal preference but I have read some like it a little higher and some like it as much as a foot higher. Doing this will keep you more in the centre of the hammock. It will also increase how much hammock goes from your legs to the end which will help alleviate a lot of the pressure behind your calf. Many put something under their knees like a pillow or rolled up jacket.

When setting up, the ridgeline should be taut but not too tight. You may find setting up with more sag is more comfortable in which case your ridgeline will need to be shortened.

Try these tips out and let us know if it helps.
    Don't let life get in the way of living.

Hammock
    Warbonnet Traveler
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    New River, Woobie
    Suspension
    Webbing
    Bubba,

Thank you! I'll experiment with those tips and let ya'll know when I do!

Hammock
    Traveler with HNO AirShip
    Tarp
    HNO AirShip
    Insulation
    Leiglo 5/50
    Suspension
    Everything Dutch
    Images
    'Failure to sprinkle the new rig with goats blood?' Funny!

Welcome to Traveler land! You'll get it dialed in and find it to be a hammock for all occasions.

Hammock
    Warbonnet Traveler
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    New River, Woobie
    Suspension
    Webbing
    Update,

I appreciate the advice, I've not tried another overnighter (for a couple reasons) but have done a couple hour hangs in the afternoon. I've eased up the tension and gotten a better lay. Still probably need to try something under the knees, but want to try working on my set up before I get there. (First fix it with skill, then with gear.)

After a few "set up - hang - and tear down's" I have a question, does how I hang the underquilt affect the lay? I tried slackening up on the UQ, rather than cranking it down today, and I think that may have helped. Since it wasn't the only variable, I'm not sure...

Thanks again!
    Adam

Hammock
    DIY Hexon 1.0
    Tarp
    DIY Xenon Sil,
    Insulation
    3s Yeti
    Suspension
    straps & buckles
    Images
    I think how tight the UQ is does affect your lie, at least it does for me. I have my quilt loose, but still snug (Hope that makes sense). My ridge line is just barely snugged up. I have my feet about 3 inches higher. I do sometimes still get the ridge on my calves, but just kinda take my foot and push out the ridge (I barely even wake up to do this). It might help that I am rather short too. I have only occasional issues with the hyperextension while on my back. I just get a little less diagonal when that happens. Don't know why that works for me, but it does. Definitely don't be afraid to experiment and tweak your set up.

I have been sleeping full time in my Traveler for 18 months, and I plan to never go back to a bed (well maybe on occasion, for one reason ).

This makes it nice to go b-packing; you just take your bed with you.

Hammock
    Warbonnet Traveler
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    New River, Woobie
    Suspension
    Webbing
    Country,

Thanks for the inputs. I'm a little tall, and I think that does have a bit to do with it. What hardware do you use to hang full time? I'm considering busting out the stud-finder and a few eye-bolts. I'd like a stand, but they seem costly and take up space.

Thanks,
    Adam

Hammock
    DIY Hexon 1.0
    Tarp
    DIY Xenon Sil,
    Insulation
    3s Yeti
    Suspension
    straps & buckles
    Images
    I have a homemade pipe stand and use the warbonnet webbing suspension that came with my first Blackbird. I have the webbing wrapped around the top pipe and down the upright pipes to the height I want and then I just adjust as needed.
    I already had the pipe and only had to have it threaded and buy 2 T's and 2 90 degree elbows. The completed stand is 10 feet 6 inches in total length. It fits well in the room which is 11 feet 4 inches.

The pipe is old power station boiler tubing, not galvanized. The ridge section is one piece, the uprights are around 5 1/2 feet long (I just halved a longer piece for these) and the foot pieces are a little over 2 feet long. The rack is rather heavy, but solid. It is heavier than galvanized and harder to thread, but it worked well. A lot of folks use 1 inch galvanized with no problems.
    I will look through my photos and see if I can find a picture of the rack with the Traveler hanging on it.

Hammock
    DIY Hexon 1.0
    Tarp
    DIY Xenon Sil,
    Insulation
    3s Yeti
    Suspension
    straps & buckles
    Images

• + New Posts