Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    WL Big Daddy
    Insulation
    AHE/WL/DiY
    Suspension
    straps and stuff
    Mike, those are some great shots of the Highlands in the snow. Glad to hear that everyone made it out ok and is recovering from the experience. Must have been a great hang.
    Les Rust
    "My goal is to live long enough to become a character."

Hammock
    As of now...Eno DoubleNest (stc)
    Tarp
    Don't have one yet
    Insulation
    Down
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Dang. I've got to attend next year. I'm new to hammock camping but not to backpacking. Looks like you all had a blast. Now that's the kind of weather I live for. My first trip to Roger's was a balmy -10

Hammock
    DIY
    Images

Early trip reports

Trip reports started on page 25 of the planning thread, before this thread was begun.

Hammock
    HH Explorer w/ Zipper Mod #4
    Tarp
    ZQ Special w/mods
    Insulation
    Down
    Suspension
    Cinch and straps
    Images
    I made it home by 6:30pm. Ended up having to switch to the spare tire when I got down off the mountain. Stopped by the Log Cabin to see if it was open and heard a "hissing" sound. Reached around the rear tire and found the source of the hiss. In no time I was following WV to Marion to find another restaurant. Good breakfast, got some gas and WV and I were on our way.
    The hang was very relaxing for me. I had a cold all last week and decided to recuperate at the hang with a nap or two and a good book. The group that comes always provides good conversation and they always bring lots of food. We had quite a time at the trough Saturday night. Thanks to all for the variety of good food. No one should have gone to bed hungry!
    We had a good raffle with extra monies collected to go to the "Friends of Grayson highlands". WV won his hammock stand back and Zane was a winner on all of his tickets! He must have sitting too close to NCPatrick!
    L.D.Cakes was our surprise visitor as she missed her flight to the Florida hang because of the snow storm. She may post about that experience.
    It was good to see the familiar faces and meet some new ones. Till next year......
    2QZQ Hammock Specialties
    Specializing in:
    Hennessy Hammock zipper modifications
    Sewn on Tarp doors, Pole Pockets, and Grizz Beaks
    Ridgeline and gear organizers, peak storage bags, UQ protectors,
    2QZQ tree table!

Hammock
    SMr Parés, [o]TTeR Recliner
    Tarp
    SMr Nubé
    Insulation
    TTT Polar Pod
    Suspension
    SMr EZ slings
    Images

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by bonsaihiker View Post
    BFGMofo, you have no idea how much hope you gave us by being back at the campground. At least for Chickadee and I, we knew that if we could just make it there, at least one person would be there and able to drive us back to our car, and then everything would be OK. I knew that would be key to our survival. My hiking clothes were still dripping wet after getting back home, and I do actually mean I could still wring water from them. We were in an incredibly dangerous situation at that point, and knowing you were there kept us going.

Also, thank you for checking on me. I don't honestly remember all of it, but Doctari mentioned a couple of visits you made, urging me to stop setting up camp and get back in the car. I guess I said "Thank you," but I don't remember that. That's what is really scary--I had no idea how bad I was getting, and my cognitive faculties were seriously impaired.

I have basically no video shot for this trip. Just the couple vids shot at the beginning, which, by the way, I thought for a time might be the ironic "last moments" video that would be repeatedly aired during the TV report following the discovery of our frozen bodies...seriously, that did pass through my mind.

Thanks again, and I look forward to actually hiking with you in the future!
    I just wish I could have gotten that frozen wood to burn for you definitely look forward to hiking with you in the future and tell Chickadee she is one tuff girl. I told my girls all about your adventure when I got home today and they said they are glad you are warm now.
    Scars are tattoos with better stories.

Hammock
    DIY, gathered end , w/ spreader
    Tarp
    JRB Universal
    Insulation
    DAM/ HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by bonsaihiker View Post
    BFGMofo, you have no idea how much hope you gave us by being back at the campground. At least for Chickadee and I, we knew that if we could just make it there, at least one person would be there and able to drive us back to our car, and then everything would be OK. I knew that would be key to our survival. My hiking clothes were still dripping wet after getting back home, and I do actually mean I could still wring water from them. We were in an incredibly dangerous situation at that point, and knowing you were there kept us going.

Also, thank you for checking on me. I don't honestly remember all of it, but Doctari mentioned a couple of visits you made, urging me to stop setting up camp and get back in the car. I guess I said "Thank you," but I don't remember that. That's what is really scary--I had no idea how bad I was getting, and my cognitive faculties were seriously impaired.
    I'm totally glad that you (despite the foggy state you were in) were honest with your self & others about the danger you knew you were getting into.
    That is often the real difference in the outcome of a bad situation.
    I too will something make and joy in it's making

Hammock
    DIY, gathered end , w/ spreader
    Tarp
    JRB Universal
    Insulation
    DAM/ HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    Mike, man it's nice to enjoy those fresh pictures from the high lands as I sit here in my chair & a fine job you did taking them. But I know it's always better in person.

2Q, sorry to hear about the extra work for you in getting home, but I'm glad to know that Fri & Sat were good days for all of you.

I hope Deb had as much fun as she expected to have with her tropical friends
    I too will something make and joy in it's making

Hammock
    WL Lite Owl
    Tarp
    Luke's LB HG hex
    Insulation
    HG TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    SlingRings/Straps
    Images
    All showered, fed, and settled in my recliner now! Really glad to hear Bonsai, Chikadee, Doctari, and WV are home safe. Even in the aftermath of his ordeal Scott was able to help out a fellow hanger. Thanks for texting the Mrs to let her know I was OK. I really had no idea you guys were having trouble until way after the fact. I wish I could have done something to help. Doctari I can't tell you how popular your Scotch Eggs were, a hit for sure! It was a crazy first night. GrayJay, Homerun, and I arrived about 1ish Thursday. Back up about 30 miles from camp.... At the gas station in Marion I couldn't shake the feeling I had forgotten something. A quick check revealed I had left behind my hiking boots. Luckily I grabbed my snow boots as back ups. While not great for hiking they would keep my feet dry and warm. That's not the worst... I also left my food bag behind in my truck in Homerun's driveway, in Ohio. After kicking myself in the butt for a bit and some quick shopping in town I was all set again. Checklist from now on for sure. It was raining and getting cold. We started off for Wise shelter but got stopped by a raging stream that we couldn't find a crossing for. By time we decided to turn back the rain turned to heavy snow. We decided to head back to the camp and make a decision there. Once there the snow just got progessively heavier and we knew it would be a bad idea to go on to Wise by any other route. Once we got some wet stuff off and dried we all just seemed to get wet again. Everything left out to dry just ended up frozen in a short time. Setting up in weather like this seems to double and even triple the amount of time it takes. Once it was time to hit the sack I got a little nervous walking to my tarp after I stepped into snow that had doubled in depth in an hour. Not being able to see more than a few feet ahead of me and the fact that every direction I looked in looked the same made it a little nerve racking as well. I finally found my tarp and spent the next 20 minutes digging it out. I soon found myself settled in to wait out the storm. Overnight low was 16f, total snowfall well over 12 inches.The next morning we were busy digging ourselves out, clearing the firepit, benches, and tables. Friday was sunny, clear, and beautiful. I adjusted my UQ and had a much warmer night. Absolutely one of the best nights of sleep I have ever had in my hammock. Low of 23f. I was late to rise Saturday and had an overall lazy day aound camp but did take a nice road walk up to an overlook with Luke. I was thoroughly stuffed from the potluck. I didn't get a chance to hit them all, just not enough room. 2Q chili was outstanding followed by a hearty tasty Homerun stew. There was some good ol pulledpork from GrayJay, awesome Cardiac Arrest from Mofo, some of the best chicken and dumplings I have ever had from I don't know who but thumbs up buddy! Topped it all off with Dutch's tart. All that and brownies, peanut butter cookies, WV's cookies filled my belly! Missed out on Maztrains's curry, it smelled so good when I walked past you guys cooking it up. On top of all that I walked away with a new WBBB from the raffle. I had a FANTASTIC time and really learned alot about winter hammocking. Thanks Hickery for the coffee and firewood and just for being an all around cool dude. I met some great new people and saw some great old faces. The last night was a windy one for sure and as AngrySparrow said we all for sure earned our merit badges in windy hammock camping. I had my side pullout stakes yanked out and a door stake. Quick reconnect on the door and some strategic grabbing of the edges during gusts kept my tarp intact. Low of 26f, toasty in the hammock. I'll be back next year!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    "He who makes a beast of himself, gets rid of the pain of being a man." Dr. Hunter S. Thompson

Please check out the link below to show your love for hammocks!www.zazzle.com/hammocklife

Hammock
    WL Lite Owl
    Tarp
    Luke's LB HG hex
    Insulation
    HG TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    SlingRings/Straps
    Images
    some more pics
    "He who makes a beast of himself, gets rid of the pain of being a man." Dr. Hunter S. Thompson

Please check out the link below to show your love for hammocks!www.zazzle.com/hammocklife

Hammock
    WL Lite Owl
    Tarp
    Luke's LB HG hex
    Insulation
    HG TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    SlingRings/Straps
    Images
    and even more

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast