Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Any Sierra Hangers?

I'm hoping to get some feedback on hanging in the Sierras. Having camped there on the ground for many years, I know that the temperature and weather varies widely. I'm wondering what quilts to get. My first thought would be to get 20 degrees top and bottom, and vent when needed...I've been snowed on in August on more than one occasion!
    Last edited by Mtnmanmike; 02-14-2013 at 12:03.

No, No, Mike...We don't venture out to your "Western Places"...Unless there's rumor of a gold strike, or the hydrophobey starts killin' too many townsfolk...

Hammock
    DIY gathered end
    Tarp
    9x10 tyvek
    Insulation
    ww blue ccf pad
    Suspension
    whoopies & toggles
    Images
    Are you planning on 3 season camping, or are you one of the hard-cores that purposely go out in the snow? Seems like 20 degrees has been able to get me through most of my spring, summer and fall trips (at least for a topquilt--for bottom insulation I roll with a pad (but not by choice ))
    You're gonna need a bigger hammock

Hammock
    DIY gathered end
    Tarp
    9x10 tyvek
    Insulation
    ww blue ccf pad
    Suspension
    whoopies & toggles
    Images
    ...hydrophobey
    You're gonna need a bigger hammock

Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    AHE Hard Rock
    Insulation
    Te-Wa Freeze
    Suspension
    Dynaglide slings
    If you are around the parks (Yosemite or Sequoia Kings), I would say a 20* quilt set is good. If you are off the sides of the range, you will not likely need that much quilt.
    (I use a 30* set for most of my 3S camping and haven't had any issues at the elevations you will see there, but as they say, YMMV.)
    "I'm a connoisseur of BACON." - Anyways - 6/9/13

Senior Member mountain_man_mike's Avatar
    Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    DIY silnylon
    Insulation
    DIY CLIMASHIELD UQ
    Suspension
    DIY hugs & whoopie
    Hey Cuz!

I've encountered low 20's in August in the higher elevations but have been warm in my DIY Climashield UQ & TQ. They are 2 layers of 2.5 oz. Climashield XP made about 6 years ago. The boys in the troop working on their (unofficial) Hammock Camping Merit Badge got 1 layer of 2.5 oz XP and one layer of the 4.0 oz. Apex, but don't the young ones always get the better stuff?

I've been at Dewey Point in February at 15 degrees and kept warm, but I slid in another UQ I made along with a liner for the TQ.
    Happy Trails to one and all.
    Enjoy the outdoors wisely and elevate your perspective.

Modified Penny Wood Stove instructional Video-http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0fPlHqsYy38

Hammock Wheel https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...09#post1035609

Another Really cool JC Penny Puffer instructional- https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...141#post953141

Hammock
    WL Snipe
    Tarp
    WB, ZPacks
    Insulation
    Incubators/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoppie/Strap
    Images
    Yes I go pretty much all year round. I'm am fortunate that I have a selection of quilts to choose from. For winter I use my 0* pretty much anytime it goes below freezing. I just got a new 30* quilt and will use that for the rest of the seasons unless it is in the heat of the summer, then I will use my 40* since it's the lightest weight one I have.

If you only could have one I would say a 20* one would be good, but for winter you'll need to supplement that with extra insulation.

S

I'm trying to go as light as possible, as I read on other forums about ultralighters who venture on multi-day trips with backpacks having a base weight of a bag of potato chips...They must freeze their ultralight nads off (Which would save about ten lbs for me, and solve a host of other problems), or they're just plain lucky where weather is concerned. I hike on the Eastern slopes of the range, and the weather there is way different from the Western side. Thunderstorms come up frequently, and at 10,000 feet, ice and snow just happen. I'll probably invest in a 20 degree kit, and a 40 degree. If 20 is too warm, my lady can use it. She likes it about one hundred and eleventy degrees, so it should work out between us. I'd love any Sierra tips I can get.

Hammock
    Ask me tomorrow
    Tarp
    Old Blue
    Insulation
    DIY, HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Agnostic
    Images
    Depending on where you are going on the Eastern side, you may find that you need the warmer gear. I grew up in a small town about an hour and change south of Tahoe and in the upper elevations, it can get a bit chilly, even in deep summer.

I guess it depends on whether you are a cold or warm sleeper.

I'm excited for you! What a great place to hammock!
    And just soes you know... I expect pictures of your adventures.

Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    Hammockgear
    Insulation
    Te-Wa & JRB
    Suspension
    Whoopie
    I did the JMT this past summer and I used Te-Wa 20 degree UQ and a small GG pad for my legs. My top quilt was JRB, another 20 degree. It is plenty warm for my time in July. The good things is I only take a light jacket to go with it. Plenty of trees except my last day, which was on top of Whitney.

The ultralighters that carry 'potato' chips weight usually start hiking during the coldest time of day - around 4 or 5am, the time I usually still in deep sleep in my hammock

Have fun.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast