DIY
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Jarbidge/New River
    Suspension
    Whoopies/webbing

Hennessey Expedition Asym Rain Fly

Just got my Hennessey Exedition Asym Zipper hammock. Wanted a WBBB or WL Snipe but I have kids and the free cub hammock is what drove the decision. Anyway, I have not figured out how to hang the fly. Once I get it hung it doesn't look like the pictures that I have seen. I first thought it was a rectangular fly but realized it was asymetrical. ( I guess that is the term). I am new to this hammock stuff. It appears that the fly barely covers the hammock and when tied out it just does not look right. Not sure what I am doing wrong. I hooked the plastic rings to the prussic knots and the clips to the ridge line. I then tied the fly out but did not look right. I have to note that the trees are kind of close together. Had to use a swing set and a small pear tree. My other trees are just to big. 2 oak trees are about 14 feet in circumference. Thinking of just buying a separate tarp but when I bought the Hennessey having a tarp already appeled to me.........but not so much now. Hope it is just my ignorance. Any ideas.

Hammock
    Hennessy Explorer Deluxe
    Tarp
    DIY Hexish Tarp
    Insulation
    UGQ Zeppelin
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    The stock tarp doesn't cover a huge area. I've only ever connected the rings on the tarp to the hooks on the prussic/ridgeline. Depending on your needs, you can have the edges of the tarp high up to block sun/vertical rain, or more sharply drawn don to protect against the wind. My wife was very worried about coverage, but neither of us got wet this year and we slept through many rainstorms. I got her a typhoon for Christmas which she is very happy with. I'll be making myself a new one just to increase the protected area for doing things outside the hammock.

Hammock
    Hennesy
    Tarp
    various
    Insulation
    pads, foam
    Images
    Pretty much what he said. The stock asym tarp will keep the rain out when it is clipped to the suspension but does not really support porch mode in the rain. The hex tarp or any of the cottage vendor tarps that are larger can be deployed separately, pitched higher and in porch mode. In fact the standard tarp is the only one I know of that works well clipped to the suspension lines.

I assume you are setting up like this:

http://hennessyhammock.com/index.php...ration#content

That is the standard Hennessy fair weather setup from his web site. Why not start there and post a pic of your problem?

FWIW - I am inclined to think one of the dumbest things Tom did is offer the side zipper. Side entry vs bottom entry changes how one can handle tie outs and other problems. I do think it is manageable. But there is also the idea that I do not like side zipper hammocks. ;-)
    Last edited by nothermark; 01-21-2013 at 20:06. Reason: spelling
    YMMV

HYOH

Free advice worth what you paid for it. ;-)

Hammock
    HH Explorer Asym Zip
    Suspension
    Whoopies w/ hooks
    Perhaps this goes without saying but make sure the direction of the way you lay on the diagonal matches the same diagonal pattern of the fly. Otherwise your head and feet are bound to get wet!

Images
    A picture of your issue will help with diagnostics.

Thoughts: are you sliding the prusik knots to help keep the tarp taut?; do you have at least 12' between the swing set and pear tree?

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Jarbidge/New River
    Suspension
    Whoopies/webbing
    Thanks for all the helpfull information. It is already dark outside but if I get off work in time I will try to put up the hammock and take a picture. Thanks again I will measure the distance tomorrow.

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Jarbidge/New River
    Suspension
    Whoopies/webbing
    Duh.........Finally registered with me what you guys were talking about. The answers you gave and an illustration from one of the books from an overhead view of an asym tarp cleared things up. DOH!Gotta buy me one of those books. Thanks for the help. This reply is being typed while I am in my hammock in the back yard as the sun goes down. Man....what a relaxing way to unwind.

Hegone-

As one poster mentioned, make sure that the Asym sides are matched to those of the hammock. Also, line up those corners to be sure that one isn't uncovered should rain hit. Finally, tighten the sides before the long ends. I got this one directly from Tom.
    Rosaleen

Hennessy Hammock afficionado and supporter.

Hammock
    HH Ultralight Backpacker
    Tarp
    HH Hyperlite Asym
    Insulation
    CC pad+bag
    Suspension
    Biner and webbing
    I am also having a problem with the HH Asym fly. I thought I might as well just post in this one.

I was using the asym by hooking into prussik knots on the hammock line but was very frustrated with how it hung so I moved the prussik knots to a independent ridgeline set up with a dutch hook and a figure 9. My problem is that whenever I get the hammock cinched down tight for wind set up, there is a massive amount of sag along the ridgeline, the fly is wrinkled, and end A flips to the right of the ridgeline and end B goes to the left making "full" coverage impossible. If this makes any sense, could someone help? Thanks!
    Nice Marmot!
    Vauban says nothing's connected. It's all random and cruel. It doesn't matter what you do.

That's nihilism, Tommy! (I Heart Huckabees)

• + New Posts