Hammock
    Sparrow
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    Incubator; Burrow
    Suspension
    Whoopies

Missouri Hang 3 - Hawn State Park - Trip Report!

The group met at Hawn State Park to hike the Whispering Pines trail, commonly regarded as the most beautiful trail in Missouri. We had 7 hikers on Saturday (plus a couple more on Friday night). We hiked a couple miles to the campsite, seeing some awesome scenery along the way, and got our rigs hung. The weather was great, sunny with a high in the 50's and a low around 35.
    Some of us slept great, some of us did not Apparently there were some animal issues durring the night.

Everyone got some more miles in on the way back the next morning. Great hang! We'll have another scheduled soon!

Post those pics!
    With beauty all around you, may you walk.

Hammock
    HH Hyperlite
    Tarp
    Cuben Cuben Cuben
    Insulation
    FEATHERS N STUFF
    Suspension
    DiY Mule LarksHead
    Images
    Would love to be there for the next. Only hour and a half out, and man those trails were a pleasure to hike. This time I'll be on time to hike with the group!
    Translate Earth
    Create moments to let Earth teach
    Earth Avatar in training

Hammock
    Sparrow
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    Incubator; Burrow
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Here's the pics I took...
    Attached Images Attached Images
    • File Type: jpg 1.jpg (194.2 KB, 74 views)
    • File Type: jpg 2.jpg (116.6 KB, 60 views)
    • File Type: jpg 3.jpg (133.4 KB, 58 views)
    • File Type: jpg 4.jpg (117.2 KB, 54 views)
    • File Type: jpg 6.jpg (142.6 KB, 54 views)

Hammock
    Sparrow
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    Incubator; Burrow
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    more pics ....
    Attached Images Attached Images
    • File Type: jpg 7.jpg (135.9 KB, 56 views)
    • File Type: jpg 8.jpg (84.9 KB, 45 views)
    • File Type: jpg 9.jpg (146.3 KB, 42 views)
    • File Type: jpg 10.jpg (201.6 KB, 67 views)
    • File Type: jpg 11.jpg (147.8 KB, 57 views)
    • File Type: jpg 12.jpg (201.6 KB, 58 views)

can't wait to hear about the animal issues. Nice pics
    'Classic.' A book which people praise and don't read.” ― Mark Twain

Who cares about showers, gourmet food, using flush toilets. Just keep on walking and being away from it all.

There are times that the only way you can do something is to do it alone.

Hammock
    wbrr/d i y speer
    Tarp
    hg 4sccc 12 foot
    Insulation
    lynx/w/logics
    Suspension
    straps /pole mod
    Quote Originally Posted by Ewker View Post
    can't wait to hear about the animal issues. Nice pics
    The animal story is,not too long after going to sleep, I woke up to a coon or similar sized critter coming right toward me. The throw something at it trick worked ,and soon i was dozing off again.The wake up call came again in the form of cramp in the keester mouce.The sound of it crawling through the leaves is kind of normal so i didnt let it bother me much. The sound of it climbing the trees i was hanging on was kind of new to me,but the chewing tearing sound coming from my pack put me into the OH NO HE DIDNT mode.
    I get up to get it taken care of ,trying to get to my pack as fast as i can. You have to picture me getting out of my tarped area that i was experimenting with to see how low i could go to get out of the wind. To add to the frustration im barefoot ,and for the life of me cant find where my glasses fell to.
    Getting out was thing of beauty,tripping on my guy lines,the brand new cuban fiber tarp took a direct hit breaking the ring that holds the ridge line to the loop,bringing the thing down with me. The face plant was so hard that it lead digitizer to ask in the morning,did you hear that tree fall last night?
    I finally get to my pack shaking and pounding on it,but i see no mouce. The concern goes back to the tarp,i was relieved to see the ring snapped under the impact of my fall,but threading the cordage through the loop presented its challenges in the dark with my glasses on the a.w.o.l. list.
    I was then back in the ridge runner, it seemed lower to me getting in ,but i was so glad to be warm again i settled for the hang the way it was. The coon came back two more times keeping me on alert mode.
    Somewhere close to sun up i started to feel the cold coming in through the u q.the fall shifted my hang point down,and i didnt know i had down touching the ground soaking up the ground moisture. I wrote it all off to a learning experience and humbly made it to be the last one to the morning fire.I pulled out my oatmeal to find a mouce hole chewed in the package. I instantly was transported to the days of my youth and saw sylvester the cat with a disgusted look on his face after being outsmarted by speedy gonzalas,saying "i hates mieces to pieces",now i do too.
    Last edited by hairbear; 01-21-2013 at 20:33.

Quote Originally Posted by hairbear View Post
    The animal story is,not too long after going to sleep, I woke up to a coon or similar sized critter coming right toward me. The throw something at it trick worked ,and soon i was dozing off again.The wake up call came again in the form of cramp in the keester mouce.The sound of it crawling through the leaves is kind of normal so i didnt let it bother me much. The sound of it climbing the trees i was hanging on was kind of new to me,but the chewing tearing sound coming from my pack put me into the OH NO HE DIDNT mode.
    I get up to get it taken care of ,trying to get to my pack as fast as i can. You have to picture me getting out of my tarped area that i was experimenting with to see how low i could go to get out of the wind. To add to the frustration im barefoot ,and for the life of me cant find where my glasses fell to.
    Getting out was thing of beauty,tripping on my guy lines,the brand new cuban fiber tarp took a direct hit breaking the ring that holds the ridge line to the loop,bringing the thing down with me. The face plant was so hard that it lead digitizer to ask in the morning,did you hear that tree fall last night?
    I finally get to my pack shaking and pounding on it,but i see no mouce. The concern goes back to the tarp,i was relieved to see the ring snapped under the impact of my fall,but threading the cordage through the loop presented its challenges in the dark with my glasses on the a.w.o.l. list.
    I was then back in the ridge runner, it seemed lower to me getting in ,but i was so glad to be warm again i settled for the hang the way it was. The coon came back two more times keeping me on alert mode.
    Somewhere close to sun up i started to feel the cold coming in through the u q.the fall shifted my hang point down,and i didnt know i had down touching the ground soaking up the ground moisture. I wrote it all off to a learning experience and humbly made it to be the last one to the morning fire.I pulled out my oatmeal to find a mouce hole chewed in the package. I instantly was transported to the days of my youth and saw sylvester the cat with a disgusted look on his face after being outsmarted by speedy gonzalas,saying "i hates mieces to pieces",now i do too.
    lol...so sorry to laugh about your night but it was funny reading your story. Just glad you didn't step on your glasses
    'Classic.' A book which people praise and don't read.” ― Mark Twain

Who cares about showers, gourmet food, using flush toilets. Just keep on walking and being away from it all.

There are times that the only way you can do something is to do it alone.

Hammock
    HH Hyperlite
    Tarp
    Cuben Cuben Cuben
    Insulation
    FEATHERS N STUFF
    Suspension
    DiY Mule LarksHead
    Images
    Thanks for the pics Disco, forgot my camera to visually enjoy the trip later on. Cheers!
    Translate Earth
    Create moments to let Earth teach
    Earth Avatar in training

Hammock
    Sparrow
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    Incubator; Burrow
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Quote Originally Posted by brown4914 View Post
    Thanks for the pics Disco, forgot my camera to visually enjoy the trip later on. Cheers!
    Sorry we missed you, Brown!

Hammock
    Darien UL/Roaming Gnome
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Fiber
    Insulation
    HG UQ/TQ's
    Suspension
    Dutch speed hooks
    We definitely missed you Brown!

Thanks Disco for your efforts; if your Sunday was anything like the rest of us, you had a good day of solo time! Don't blame you for wanting to spend the extra time with the family...especially knowing what the temperature was

Enjoy the day!
    Gideon

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast