Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Hammock
    hennessy exped asym
    Images
    I decided to hang full time when I woke up with absolutely no pain in my (formerly chronically sore) back when out camping.
    When I use my nylon hammocks, I hang my UQ and am toasty warm. Last summer I found a double layer hammock that has a blanket cloth material sewn on the inside. In that, I don't need anything else under me unless it's really cold in my apartment (I don't control the heat) and then I just use a small fleece blanket.
    Hanging full time is one of the best health decisions I've made, second only to quitting smoking.
    Debi

Hammock
    switchback, wbbb, clark ul
    Tarp
    oes standard/ultra
    Insulation
    jrb uq/ leighlo tq
    Suspension
    diy whoopiesling
    Quote Originally Posted by Debi Jaytee View Post
    I decided to hang full time when I woke up with absolutely no pain in my (formerly chronically sore) back when out camping.
    When I use my nylon hammocks, I hang my UQ and am toasty warm. Last summer I found a double layer hammock that has a blanket cloth material sewn on the inside. In that, I don't need anything else under me unless it's really cold in my apartment (I don't control the heat) and then I just use a small fleece blanket.
    Hanging full time is one of the best health decisions I've made, second only to quitting smoking.
    debi, that dbl layer hammock sounds interesting, can you tell me where you found it?

Hammock
    hennessy exped asym
    Images
    Bill, I found the double layer in a little store in Two Harbours, MN (just north of Duluth). Couple of gals there make them by hand, a little expensive but very cozy and warm.
    http://www.treetotreegear.com/
    Debi

Hammock
    switchback, wbbb, clark ul
    Tarp
    oes standard/ultra
    Insulation
    jrb uq/ leighlo tq
    Suspension
    diy whoopiesling
    Quote Originally Posted by Debi Jaytee View Post
    Bill, I found the double layer in a little store in Two Harbours, MN (just north of Duluth). Couple of gals there make them by hand, a little expensive but very cozy and warm.
    http://www.treetotreegear.com/
    debi, thanks for the link

Hammock
    WBRR
    Tarp
    UGQ Hanger 11 WB
    Insulation
    3S Phnx/1S GoLite
    Suspension
    Straps/Whoopies
    Images
    I found that I had 2-3 weeks that I felt myself wanting to sleep in my bed instead of the hammock. It wasn't because of any practical reason, I was more comfortable in the hammock and my chronic back pain was gone in the morning when I slept in a hammock versus needing to get up and out of bed due to the pain. I attribute it to 45 years of sleeping in a bed and just wanting to go back to what I was used to. I just ignored it and slept in the hammock and got over it.

Dave
    The best things in life aren't things. -- Art Buchwald

Hammock
    WL Snipe
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole
    Insulation
    WL SS UQ, WL SS TQ
    Suspension
    Dutch speedhooks
    Images
    There were some little adjustments to be made during the first couple of weeks. Even with that I was still getting better sleep than in any of the several beds we had tried over the years. In the last year and a half of fulltiming have gone to a bed , motel, twice while traveling without my TurtleDog stand.
    Most of us end up poorer here but richer for being here. Olddog, Fulltime hammocker, 365 nights a year.

Hammock
    Byer traveler lite, GT Nano 7
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Superfly
    Insulation
    WL 3/4 Length
    Suspension
    Dynaglide UCR's
    Quote Originally Posted by samsara View Post
    I found that I had 2-3 weeks that I felt myself wanting to sleep in my bed instead of the hammock. It wasn't because of any practical reason, I was more comfortable in the hammock and my chronic back pain was gone in the morning when I slept in a hammock versus needing to get up and out of bed due to the pain. I attribute it to 45 years of sleeping in a bed and just wanting to go back to what I was used to. I just ignored it and slept in the hammock and got over it.

Dave
    I think that this will be my biggest problem. I'm just gonna have to get over it I guess haha. Thanks for all the input guys!

Hammock
    wbbb
    Tarp
    speer winter tarp
    Insulation
    Diy down u.q.&t.q.
    Suspension
    Web&cinch buckles
    Images
    It took a week or two for me, that was 3yrs ago. it does take a little bit to find a sweet spot, but once you do, its well worth it. I use a pluq full length for an underquilt and a poncho liner with a footbox for a top quilt thats usually enough for me.

Hammock
    HH Expedition Asym
    Tarp
    Stock asym and Hex
    Insulation
    None for now
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    I think I need a new PL. Mine is pretty flat with no evidence of loft. It didn't do much for me last night. Tonight, I've got my full length Thermarest in it. Next, ill add a heatsheet.

Hammock
    Eno DN, DD Frontline
    Tarp
    Guide Gear
    Insulation
    DIY uq
    Suspension
    straps
    I have been fulltime in an Eno DN for about a year now. Took a couple of weeks to decide to sell my bed, but have not had a desire to sleep in a bed since that first night. Tried laying down in the bed for about 5 minutes and got up and placed an ad to sell my almost new high dollar bed. The only way I would ever sleep in a conventional bed again is if I had absolutely no other choice.

I have just used a cheapo Wal-mart sleeping bag for an under quit, tied up with bungies. Adjust as necessary from inside the hammock if I get hot or cold. One thing I do that may be a bit unusual is that I tie a regular sheet and a fleece blanket at the foot end of the hammock where my semi-structural ridgeline ties in. I got really tired of the covers falling to the middle of the sag and this cures it. I just pull the covers up over the ridgeline and let them drape over the sides of the hammock and move it back and forth until I get the temp I want. Even moving it a few inches towards my head or away from it makes a big difference. I rarely use heat or a/c in the bedroom now because I have so much control with this little system. Hot? Just reach down and pull the underquilt over to one side. I swear it feels like 20 degrees difference.

Someday, I plan on getting a "real" indoor hammock but my biggest problem is talking myself into getting out of the DN! If I was anymore comfortable, I'd probably get fired!

Go for it, you will probably never go back to a bed. All three of my sons and even some of my friends sleep full time now after trying mine for a few minutes.
    Last edited by Hard2Kill; 01-22-2013 at 14:25.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast