Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Images
    As others have said, the rolled hem foot just rolls the noseeum, and the shell does not go through the foot, but passes under it. In the picture, you may be able to make out blue chalk lines that I use as I guide. I offset these such that when I keep them in line with the edge of the presser foot, the attachment point is where I want it.

The rolled hem foot takes a bit of practice to operate. Noseeum is one of the easiest materials to use the foot with, in my experience. If you use 1.1 ripstop, or even worse, sil for your practice runs, you are likely to give up on this technique in short order. With 1.9oz ripstop or noseeum, it is pretty easy to use. One trick I use, which may not work on all machines, is to take the foot off after getting the rolled hem started. This makes inserting the fabric into the foot really easy by just sliding it a few inches towards you along the edge of the fabric and then back towards the needle. Without doing this, it is a bit tricky to get the fabric into the foot correctly at the start of the hem, and the first inch or two may not look perfect.

I have not done any pull testing, but the rolled hem appears to be a lot stronger than simply attaching the noseeum without rolling. I believe one of the Jacks posted that they roll hem the baffles in their quilts. I think they probably have a good reason for going through the extra trouble.

Images
    [QUOTE=Schneiderlein;92288]One trick I use, which may not work on all machines, is to take the foot off after getting the rolled hem started. This makes inserting the fabric into the foot really easy by just sliding it a few inches towards you along the edge of the fabric and then back towards the needle. [QUOTE]

Does this mean you start the first few inches of the roll hem by hand, then work the fabric into the presser foot?

Hammock
    Hennessey Explorer Ultralight
    Tarp
    Hennessey Hex
    Insulation
    HH Super Shelter
    Suspension
    ring buckle
    Images
    I have never been able tto get a rolled hem foot to work for me. I don't plan to discuss it in the We Don't Sew vid series as I would consider it beyond a beginner technique. But if you have trouble with it you are not alone. I know there are folks on the forum who use them and like them. There are some other techniques for doing rolled hems that do not require the use of the special presser foot. If you give up on the attachment let me know and I'll see if I can help. They are not terribly expensive so are probably worth the cost of playing with. My wife can do a rolled hem faster by hand than with a hemming foot. But hey... whatever works...
    I may be slow... But I sure am gimpy.

"Bless you child, when you set out to thread a needle don't hold the thread still and fetch the needle up to it; hold the needle still and poke the thread at it; that's the way a woman most always does, but a man always does t'other way."
    Mrs. Loftus to Huck Finn

We Don't Sew... We Make Gear! video series

Important thread injector guidelines especially for Newbies

Bobbin Tension - A Personal Viewpoint

Hammock
    Hennessey Explorer Ultralight
    Tarp
    Hennessey Hex
    Insulation
    HH Super Shelter
    Suspension
    ring buckle
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Schneiderlein View Post
    I have not done any pull testing, but the rolled hem appears to be a lot stronger than simply attaching the noseeum without rolling. I believe one of the Jacks posted that they roll hem the baffles in their quilts. I think they probably have a good reason for going through the extra trouble.

In as much as sewing the baffle through a rolled hem stitches through more fabric I suspect it is substantial stronger.It also provides a more stable cross section than a single layer of no-see-um.
    I may be slow... But I sure am gimpy.

"Bless you child, when you set out to thread a needle don't hold the thread still and fetch the needle up to it; hold the needle still and poke the thread at it; that's the way a woman most always does, but a man always does t'other way."
    Mrs. Loftus to Huck Finn

We Don't Sew... We Make Gear! video series

Important thread injector guidelines especially for Newbies

Bobbin Tension - A Personal Viewpoint

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Narwhalin View Post
    Does this mean you start the first few inches of the roll hem by hand, then work the fabric into the presser foot?
    I start the first few stitches with the fabric under the rolled hem foot without going through the funnel. Basically, like you would start it out if you used a regular presser foot. Then, I detach the foot (with the needle down) and get the fabric in the funnel properly by sliding the foot up and down the edge of the fabric. Then, I reattach the presser foot and sew the hem/seam.

I am not sure what the manufacturer recommended procedure is for doing this, I didn't get any instructions when I got the rolled hem foot. If there is a way to start the hem directly with the fabric in the foot, I'd like to know how. When I first got the foot, I tried to do it that way without success. Also, if you want to back stitch at the start, you have to do it before you put the fabric in the little funnel. Similarly, you have to take the fabric out of the foot at the end of the hem if you want to back stitch.

Hammock
    Switchback 1.9DL
    Tarp
    10x12 TTTG CatCut
    Insulation
    PolarPod
    Suspension
    TTTG Ring Buckle
    Images
    I have the instructions for the rolled hem foot, but I am not at home right now. I will post the inst. asap.
    Beer won't solve problems, but then again, neither will milk !
    Designer of the Switchback Hammock
    Tree to Tree Trail Gear:http://tttrailgear.com

Hammock
    Switchback 1.9DL
    Tarp
    10x12 TTTG CatCut
    Insulation
    PolarPod
    Suspension
    TTTG Ring Buckle
    Images
    I have tried to roll hem 1.1 sil. I would rather re-marry my ex than try that again

Hammock
    GrizzBridge Ariel
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Winter
    Insulation
    DIY UQ
    Images
    Schneiderlein--the way you describe to start the hem is the same as I have found in instructions elsewhere.

I have had mixed results with the hemming foot. Cannot make it work on sil reliably, the sil just slips out of the grove eventually. Worked very well on the mesh baffles when I made my quilt. Works well for me on 1.9 oz ripstop. Sometimes, sometimes not with 1.1 oz ripstop. In reviewing this, seems to be related to fabric weight, maybe.

Grizz

Hammock
    Switchback 1.9DL
    Tarp
    10x12 TTTG CatCut
    Insulation
    PolarPod
    Suspension
    TTTG Ring Buckle
    Images
    Here are the instructions that came with my Brother machine for the narrow hemmer foot. 1. Position the fabric wrong side up under the presser foot. Lower the needle 1/8" from the edges of the fabric, lower the presser foot and then sew 2 or 3 stitches. 2. Raise the needle and the presser foot, then hold the ends of the upper & lower thread to prevent them from being pulled out of the fabric and pull the fabric out from the front of the presser foot. 3. Holding both threads, pass them through the curled part of the presser foot and pull them toward the back of the presser foot. Wrap the fabric around the curled part of the presser foot in the same way. Position the edge of the fabric just behind the needle and lower the presser foot. 4. Without allowing the fabric to stick out from the right side of the presser foot, lightly pull on the thread while slowly sewing. 5. After sewing 3/4" to 1 1/8" of the fabric, release the thread and guide the fabric from the front of the presser foot with your left hand. Keep a uniform amount fabric wrapped around the presser foot curl until the seam is completed. 6. If too little fabric is wrapped around the curl, then a threefold seam is not being sewn. 7. If too much fabric is wrapped around the curl, then a wide threefold seam is being sewn. I hope this helps. 1. Sewing Instructions.jpg

2.Sewing Instructions 002.jpg

3.Sewing Instructions 003.jpg

4.Sewing Instructions 004.jpg

5.Sewing Instructions 005.jpg

6.Sewing Instructions 006.jpg

7.Sewing Instructions 007.jpg

Images
    I have pretty similar experience to Grizz. 1.9oz and noseeum work reliably. Sil is difficult, and 1.1oz very tricky. With sil and 1.1oz, it helps to pull the fabric tight. This is something you do not want to do with the noseeum. It feeds reliably without tension, and if you pull, you will get a lot of stretch.

For those contemplating to give this a try, I would recommend to get a 4mm rolled hem foot. I have not tried a 3mm or 2mm foot, but can only imagine they would be harder to use.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12