Hammock
    ENO SingleNest
    Tarp
    Brown Walmart 6x8
    Insulation
    Poncho Liner
    Suspension
    Climbing rope
    Well, like most others I was tired of clearing rocks, having roots dig into my back, etc. The tipping point came on one scout campout where the ground was soaked and muddy. I brought an Army shelter half with no floor. I ended up sleeping in my vehicle which is NOT my style. I got into a minimalist kick soon after and bought a basic nylon travel hammock. On the next campout I hung it, put a tarp over head and never looked back. I haven't slept in a tent in 5 years! The other Scouts like my set up, but just can't make the leap. My own boys have now discovered that tents are the wave of the past. As I write this, my 15 year old is at Scout Camp and brought that same nylon travel hammock to sleep in for the week. He knows that you don't get much air flow through a heavy canvas tent. I hope he gets the others to turn to the "light side"!!!!

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    pad
    Suspension
    Adjustable Webbing
    Simply put, I hate sleeping on the ground. We were doing a lot of car camping, so weight was not an issue. I started using a cot, then the tent that would accommodate that practically fell apart. It was an OLD cnavas tent. I started looking into replacement tents, and kept coming back to canvas outfitter style tents. Wife did not like that idea and rightfully stated that most parks have ridiculously small tent pads. So, I started looking at alternatives. Some how, I thought about Hammocks. I researched and researched and finally bought a WB BB. I love it. It immediately opened up a new world of possibilities. We are now backpacking (still limited by where we can sleep as my wife is not convinced yet), but I am subtly working on her. The simple purchase of a hammock has literally reopened the outdoors to me.

Hammock
    diy hexon 1.0
    Tarp
    DIY sil-argon
    Insulation
    HG TQ, UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie hooks
    The wife and I bought a cheap hammock at biglots. it is woven cotton fabric and just wide enough for my shoulders. after laying on it for a bit it ocurred to me that I could camp that way. I hit the web and found tothewoods

Hammock
    DD Travel
    Tarp
    DD XL Tarp
    Suspension
    Factory.

What made me a hanger?

Talking with my new buddies it was a way to get comfortable. Sleeping on the ground was old. I was spending a lot time clearing my space so that I didn't have a mysterious rock or branch in my back all night.

When I was introduced to it and I looked on youtube it made perfect sense.

It's also way more comfortable to sleep in a hammock in the woods than to be on the ground.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 double
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    Leighlo 66" 30* UQ
    Suspension
    stock WBBB webbing
    My son got me involved in scouts again, being the scoutmaster and going on all the campouts made me realize that I don't want to sleep in the dirt any more

Hammock
    DIY double layer
    Tarp
    Old Eddie Bauer
    Insulation
    Bag and pad
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    To be completely honest, Shug. After watching all of his videos I had to try it. And I'm glad I did.

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by XSrcing View Post
    To be completely honest, Shug. After watching all of his videos I had to try it. And I'm glad I did.
    I'm glad I did too))))) Who Buddy.
    Shug
    Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Hammock
    BB
    Tarp
    4S cuben
    Insulation
    down
    Very recently I got my first hammock, and even in this crazy heat I set it up and hop in daily, just because. Last month while hiking the Standing Indian loop, at the end of the day a hanger set up nearby. It rained pretty good that night, and come morning while I was busy cleaning the muck from my tent he stuffed his dry hammock into a bag and then I watched his tarp get swallowed whole by a snake(skin). Wassup with that, I said, so he 'splained it all. The scales fell from my eyes.

Hammock
    Warbonnet 1.7 D
    Tarp
    Hennessey Hex 70D
    Insulation
    Poncho Liner UQ TQ
    Suspension
    Straps
    It is very simple, at age 61 with a titanium/crosslinked poly hip joint, bad back, and a touch of arthritis, I can't carry enough "stuff" to be comfortable on the ground. The WBBB only weighs a few pounds and gives the comfort of a pillow top bed. And the setup is at least 10 times faster. Lets face it, I am too lazy to do the tent thing.

Hammock
    GTSBP
    Tarp
    HH Hex
    Insulation
    HG UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies, MSH
    I'm fortunate to have a best friend who is an avid hanger. After hearing countless tales of his eternal quest for the perfect hang coupled with the continuous search for lighter equipment I finally tried out one of his hammocks in the backyard and was instantly hooked. Now it's my constant quest for the opportunity to go hiking and hanging.

• + New Posts
  • Page 111 of 258 FirstFirst ... 1161101109110111112113121161211 ... LastLast