Hammock
    Eno Double Nest
    Tarp
    Eno Pro Fly
    Insulation
    I'm in Hawaii!
    Suspension
    Eno Slap Straps
    researching alternative sleep methods....I get soooo hot at night that I wake up sweaty and the bed underneath me feels like it's on fire! And I don't sleep well at night. However, I knew from spending time in hammocks that my best, deepest sleep naps were wonderful in a hammock. Saw someone camping in the trees at Bellows AFS on Oahu and I was curious. Now, I'm researching how to sleep full-time in the house. Hubs is out to sea 1/2 the year so.....I can.

Hammock
    ENO DN
    Tarp
    HD brown/silver
    Insulation
    Pad
    Suspension
    Marlin/whoopie
    Being a 30+ year "dirt packer" I was searching youtube reviews trying to find a good tent that would keep dry in a heavy storm, and at a decent price range. Yes, like so many others I stumbled across one of Shug's videos and the curiosity peaked. I had to try it.... After finding the forums and reading through the wealth of info here, I read about the equip hammock and for the price, there would be no big loss if I didn't like the concept. I set it up in the yard with the "ol blue tarp and proceeded to find a lay. 3 hours later I woke up..... that's all it took...the game was on..... Hooked.

Hammock
    ENO/WB Traveler
    Insulation
    Incubator
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    I've always loved the outdoors. When we went on vacation to Puerto Rico back in '08, my fella decided that laying in a hammock was one of the most heavenly things ever invented. There was a big comfy cotton hammock under a palm tree.

For his birthday, I looked for a compact hammock that he could take on our trips, (he ended up with an ENO single nest) and it snowballed from there. I've constantly researched to enhance the hammocking experience and carry the lightest, most practical gear.

For me, there's nothing more thrilling than having my home on my back. The world becomes so much easier and cheaper to discover, too - when you're a hanger. The experience is second to none and kicks tenting in the arse.

Mousse
    in search of the ultimate moment. the hammock seems to add something special.

Hammock
    ENO Double Nest
    Tarp
    ENO Dry Fly
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    I was looking for a new stove in Rock/Creek and found the ENO. I thought it would be a perfect method to quickly set up for some backyard relaxing. It wasn't until I had already bought it and the Dry Fly that I did some research and found there were much cheaper ways to hammock. Oh well, I still love ENO even if they're expensive haha
    Check out my (mostly) outdoor themed t-shirt design elements! Oblivious Art and Design Make your own custom tees! Hammock inspired designs to come!

1goodscout
    Hello - Great website! Everything is better in a hammock. Well almost everything

MY interest came from an interest in learning how to tie survival bracelets. While I was messing around with ordering paracord (for a school project) I accidentally came across someone who posted knots for camping. I used to camp throughout the summers and on weekends while I hit the fly fishing streams of Idaho, Montana, Oregon, and Washington. Out of curiosity I decided to check out the videos and saw one posted by Dave Canterbury. I watch the show Dual Survivors, and wanted to see what he had to say. I know from watching episodes that he is big on hammocks or similar setups when he is trying to survive in the extreme environments he visits. After watching his youtube video I saw how easy it was to set up and take down a camp and have all the basic requirements for shelter met. After that I have been poking around in other youtube videos and listening to what others have to say about hammock camping. (Mostly it is Shugs fault. His videos are informative, fun, and infectious, always good for a laugh and much inspiration for the hammock and camping in general.) Since then, I have become sort of obsessed with the idea of becoming a hiker and camper all over again. This time I will be hanging in the trees with the breeze between my knees setting camp with the greatest of ease and doing what I please, eating crackers and cheese, catching fish I tease, and eating without grease. My biggest challenge right now will be to give up golf time for camp time. Since I live in SoCal the camping, trail, hiking thing isn't quite as appealing as it was in Idaho so I will do some research before I decide to jump in and begin. Basically I got interested in hammock camping by accident.
    Last edited by Datsgolf; 08-19-2012 at 14:44.

If I were going to blame anyone for this new obsession of mine I would have to pin it on Shug. His enthusiasm and energy are the hooks that got me really interested in finding out more about the Hammock revolution.

Hammock
    Walhalla Maddog 1.2 Robic
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Camo
    Insulation
    HG Incubator Camo
    Suspension
    Cinch Buckles
    I read about hammock camping on Whiteblaze in 2008. I ordered my wife and I our first hammocks in 2009 and we have been hooked ever since! I am also responsible for corrupting HF member Orion X! Maddog
    "Hike Your Own Hike." - Thru-Hiker

Hammock
    Clark NX-250 & DIY
    Tarp
    Clark & DIY Winter
    Insulation
    Sleeping bag only
    Suspension
    DIY Whoopies

What made me a hanger?

I Stumbled across it on the internet and was intrigued. I've always enjoyed the outdoors, but don't get out camping enough lately. A few weeks ago the wife and I packed up and went tent camping. It was the worst night of sleeping I have had in a long time, even though the ground was very flat. So I bit the bullet and went with a Clark Camo NX-250. I have a trip planned in a few days, I can't wait to use it.

Other things that intrigued me:
    The ability to keep it clean as it never has to touch the ground.
    Not tempted to climb in with dirty shoes to get something I forgot.
    No stooping over to get into a tent.
    Reduced weight/space in a backpack.

• + New Posts
  • Page 113 of 258 FirstFirst ... 1363103111112113114115123163213 ... LastLast