kammok roo/ diy tablecloth
    Tarp
    kelty noahs tarp12
    Insulation
    eno vulcan
    Suspension
    python straps

i found hammocks by "accident" litterally

i have ridden motorcycles for Many years and like some riders do i got t-boned by a car that ran a red light and ever since then i have had shall we say "some issues" with my back and weight gain due to lack of mobility and things like that and sleeping in a regular bed is less than comfortable so for several years i have resorted to sleeping sitting up for most or all of the night till one day by accident i fell asleep in a cheap Walgreens 15 dollar hammock and lo and behold i could sleep comfortably in it and now that i have my back issues almost sorted out and i can once again sleep in a regular bed i have become addicted to the hammock and i have decided that i finally an going to take the plunge and go bed-less and sleep in a hammock full time and so here i am to glean what knowledge i can to make the transition go smoothly

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird
    Tarp
    Siltarp2
    Suspension
    Adjustable webbing
    Images
    I decided to give hammocks a try because I am in my early 60s and have arthritis in my knees--which prevents me from kneeling and getting down to ground sleep. I wanted something that would allow me to go backpacking and not have to crawl in and out of a tiny tent. I'll never look back! Best sleeping ever!
    "YOU KIDS GET OUTSIDE AND AIR YOUR PANTS!"--MOM

Smile

I am planning an Appalachian Trail thru-hike starting in april and need to upgrade my gear for the trip. Rather than buy a lighter tent I bought a hammock and was immpressed with the comfort and ease of putting it up. Now looking for a way to make it work in the cold weather and heavy rain.

Why I Hang Around

I've been using hammocks for years, but only during the summer time. I have always been an outdoor person but never did any winter camping. At 57 years old sleeping on the ground is not an option anymore. So I am here to learn how to hang correctly.....OT

Hammock
    Trek Light Double
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole
    Insulation
    Leigh's UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Lightweight option for backpacking and motorcycle camping
    It's not about the miles, its about the smiles!
    Black Chrome

Hammock
    Eno single nest
    Tarp
    BCUSA G2 multicam
    Insulation
    down bag/sleep pad
    Suspension
    SRS, webbing
    Wanted to try something different. Watching shug's videos got me aching to try out a hammock.

Hammock
    ENO DoubleNest
    Tarp
    ENO Pro Fly
    Insulation
    Mummy bag
    Suspension
    Webbing
    I was just looking at something easy to haul around in my sea kayak that wouldn't take up much room. Watched a bunch of videos on You tube (Shug), and he made it look so easy and it kind of inspired me to move past kayak camping and replace my tent with a hammock. Since then I've been out a few times, done quite a few test runs in my backyard. I love the look people get when I tell them I'm camping in 30 degree weather in a hammock. I can get home from work, hang out for an hour and feel great after that. Hang'n is soul therapy.
    Last edited by JC77; 12-13-2012 at 13:51.

I became interested in hanger after searching utub for DIY projects and winter camping. I've always slept on the ground camping either in a tent or under a tarp. My back is not the best so sleeping on the ground would kill me. I'm hoping hammocks will help with that so I don't have to give up camping and hicking!

Hammock
    WBRR
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    WB Lynx
    Suspension
    Whoopies/DutchStuf
    Well switching from ground camping to hammock camping was a complete accident. As a matter of fact I never seen a hammock camper in the areas I camp.

Here is how it came to be for me.

I bought a cheap hammock from Wal-Mart and hung it in my front yard. After a week of hanging in the afternoon I got a nice sun burn. So I made a tarp and hung it over a ridge line and put it in a sort of porch mode. I thought hey this is all right... Then it hit me.

I should get a better quality Hammock and build a rig to camp with. That's where the "Holy Crap People do this - LOOK AT ALL THE OPTIONS!" came in at. The rest is history. I had a Nice sized Gift card for Amazon, so I went with an ENO OneLink System, very few Modifications so far, but Many Modifications on the way.

Hoot

applejack61
    Most excellent subject,I became or am choosing to become a mocker or hanger due to many factors .One , to get off the ground to manage my aching back that has spent to many nights in miserable conditions.Next would be the pressure of fellow mockers to lighten my load is my back for its been awhile since I've carried my weight in sustainables. And last but not least its different and yet offers a whole new outlook on how I can make trekking more fun

• + New Posts
  • Page 123 of 258 FirstFirst ... 2373113121122123124125133173223 ... LastLast