Hammock
    wbbb,streamliner,GTUL
    Tarp
    Supafly,HG cuben
    Insulation
    JRBmt4,diy,AHE
    Suspension
    whooopieee
    Last year I went on a 3 day hike along the Raccoon River Water trail in Iowa and didn't want to bring a 7 lbs tent. I had a woven net tarp in my gear box and tried it. So much better than sleeping on the ground. Just got a wbbb and im not looking back!

HoverLover

finally signing-in

Hey guys. i'm not new here at all. i have been poking around here for years, but finally have made an account. mainly because i'm doing the AT this year and would like to link-up with others that may be doing the same. i'm leaving amacalola on march 21st. anyone else hangin' through the AT this year?

noj

Unhappy Cold damp ground

Hey.

What got me into hanging? Kind of evolved really. One too many nights shivering on the ground while out hunting had a lot to do with it.

I took my son for a hunt for a stag during the "roar" (what the red deer mating season is called here in new Zealand) and found the hut we intended to sleep in occupied.

I carry a very basic emergency kit which includes mylar blankets. So we made a bivy out of the two mylar sheets and attempted to sleep. Ground was cold and we got progessivly colder as the dew soaked through our sleeping bags.

I vividly remember looking at the beautiful stars, teeth chattering, hunched up in the feotal position for warmth, and thinking "there must be a better way..."

So my kit began to take some additions. A proper tarp setup, and researching came accross the world of hanging.
    True DIY style - some experiments did leave me cold, but the advantages were immediatly apparent. No more wet ground, and the ability to set camp anywhere has been a game changer.

My DIY hammock is two layers with poly insulation between. Top layer is load bearing, outerlayer is waterproof and set to sag to allow an air space. Since using this configuration I have never been cold. Even in winter with ice on the ground.
    Down side is - sleeping in has become a problem. It's just too **** difficult to wake up when your warm and cosy and put on wet socks and go chase deer.

Recently my wife has been the recipient of the DIY bug, and has joined us in the hills.

Hammock
    WWM or tablecloth
    Tarp
    SuperFly
    Insulation
    shamu 40*
    Suspension
    UCR whoopie
    Images
    I grew up a boy scout, mom would take us camping at state parks once a month for many of the formative years of my life... Remembering all these things I thought it important to get my wife and 5 year old daughter out, so I pulled out the old tent, reserved a screened in shelter for the girls, and away we went... Saturday night it came a gully washer, tent was flooded I was cold, wet, sleeping bag soaked, tent didn't do a darn thing to help me out... I like a lot of other swore off tents at that point, but I loved being outdoors... So I stumbled upon someone on bushcraftusa yapping on about sleeping in a hammock... Low and behold there was a bunch of nuts hanging from that very same tree... In march was my first hang, since then I have hung at least one weekend a month at a place other than my home... I have camped in 110* and 18*... I have now made 2 table cloths for myself and my daughter in addition to my grand trunk ultralight setup... It has been a good year... This year has already seen a great hang under my belt with some new and some old friends, I have been dry and warm in every weather Texas has thrown at me... It has been an awesome trip, and we are just getting started...
    Live, Laugh, Love, if that doesn't work. Load, Aim and Fire, repeat as necessary...

Buy, Try, Learn, Repeat

Hammock
    Clark North American
    Tarp
    WL Oldman Winter
    Insulation
    WL Full Down UQ
    Suspension
    whoopie,trunks
    Images
    i've always loved the woods and hanging in the hammock is just a fun way to just let everything go and enjoy the moment.

Hammock
    Dutch netless wide
    Tarp
    superfly
    Insulation
    DIY underquilt
    Suspension
    Dutch Spiders
    Have been intrigued for years, finally took the plunge last summer after tasking my eno on a week long trip for just relaxing. After having a great night sleep, I will never go back to the ground.

Hammock
    GT Skeeter Beater Pro
    Tarp
    Hennesy Hexfly
    Insulation
    Thermarest
    Suspension
    Arrowhead whoopies
    I actually tried it on a whim after seeing it on YouTube. After I got my Grand Trunk Skeeter Beater Pro, I've never looked back! Now my girlfriend, and most of my backpacking crew has been converted as well.

Hammock
    Clark NX-250
    Tarp
    Clark Vertex
    Insulation
    Z-Liners
    Suspension
    Whoppie Sling
    Snakes and sore back. I am not a lover of snakes and I spend most of my hang time on islands while out kayaking. Kayak trips maybe a simple one nighter, or maybe a week long trip. Bought my first hammock (ENO DN) back in 2010 as a spur of the moment, "Hey Lets take a kayak trip" and couldn't be happier. I did make the mistake of sleeping on the group ONCE back in 2011 with my youngest son while doing a catfishing trip. Took me the rest of the weekend to work out the knots in my back.
    Just purchased my second hammock (NX-250) and my youngest son has already laid claim to my ENO. From here on out, I need to be looking for two sets of tree to hang from. I Love that he enjoys the outdoors as much as I do.
    Found this forum last year and have learned a TON from all of you. THANKS!

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Superfly
    Insulation
    Foam Pads
    Suspension
    Adjustable webbing
    I got into hanging after camping for a month while canoeing down the Mississippi. It was very hot and uncomfortable and once I got back I started looking at hammocks. I bought a Hennessy Hammock, but I was not a big fan of the weight so I've upgraded to a Warbonnet Blackbird with a superfly.

• + New Posts
  • Page 127 of 258 FirstFirst ... 2777117125126127128129137177227 ... LastLast