Page 138 of 258 FirstFirst ... 3888128136137138139140148188238 ... LastLast
Results 1,371 to 1,380 of 2579
    nilspear

Rocks and Waterbed

After 6 months with the high school kids I needed some mental days so a tenting I went. First night the gravel wore through the ground tarp and popped the air mattress. Got it fix and the next night a rain storm created a nice stream around the mobile home next door and through my tent. So I figured someone was telling me to get off the ground. Did a little surfing and decided on a HH explorer deluxe. Where has this thing been all my life.

Formerly octothorpesarus mudsocks's Avatar
    Images

Re: What made you a "hanger"?

Daydreamimg about thru-hiking and thinking about ways of mitigating the unpleasant parts. At 5'11" and 135lbs I don't have much natural cushion between my bones and all the rocks, roots, etc found at heavily used campsites. Blowing up an air mattress each night seemed as unrealistic as lugging extra padding. Plus the extra weight and bulk associated with both those "solutions" seemed nearly as unpleasant as the original problem. I think the search term that I lead me here was "ground camping alternative". BIAS was running a $28 hammock deal which my magic number I was willing to spend to give it a shot.

My only regret is all those nights on the hard ground.

Hammock
    Grand Trunk Skeeter Beeter Pro
    Tarp
    REI Hammock Tarp
    Insulation
    Lumina 0 bag
    Suspension
    rope and paracord
    I suffer from a lot of back problems (thanks, military!) and I went camping a few weeks ago. My friend had a hammock, and I tried it out. I was sold the minute my body relaxed! After that, I went to the outlet malls, and found my GT Skeeter Beeter for $40, and I have slept in it for about 5 days off and on now. I hate sleeping in my bed, and can't wait for my next camping trip.

I like hanging because it's much easier on my back, and because, let's all face it... It's pretty awesome being wierd and different from the rest.

I ride a motorcycle (cruiser), I play ukulele, I hang in a hammock... Life is Great!

Hammock
    HH UL BP Classic
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Fiber
    Insulation
    JRB Quilts
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    I’ve never liked carrying a tent while backpacking. And since I’ve done a ton of desert backpacking , I prefer to sleep under the stars. I meet a thru hiker while hiking the AT in PA and he had a Hennessy hammock and I was intrigued by it. So, after I got off the trail I bought a Hennessy BP UL. I cannot believe how well I sleep in my “mick”. I’m not a back sleeper. I’m more of a side sleeper. However, I have no problems sleeping in a hammock on my back.

Hammock
    Dutch ARGON/ENO DN
    Tarp
    Hennessey Hex
    Insulation
    Jarbidge/UGQ FJ
    Suspension
    Ti Cinch Buckles
    Hammocks sounded comfortable... so I got one yesterday! Simple story

Hammock
    Hammock Bliss Double
    Insulation
    Ember UQ
    Suspension
    Rope
    Used to lay around in a Wally World lounger hammock when I was kid. Then the Army decided I was going to Afghanistan back in 09. While I was there we were trying to find some ways to relax. I enjoy reading so outdoors in the shade so I decided to get a hammock to try and relax while I was gone. I ended up ordering a Hammock Bliss Double and I've been using it camping ever since.

Hammock
    Wbbb, chameleon, Darian
    Tarp
    Dutch tarp,minifly
    Insulation
    Jacks
    Always slept on the ground until going to a boy scout leader training about leave no trace and could not believe how comfortable a hammock was. Now i am waiting on my very own WBBB and tarp to arrive.

I got an ENO DN as a birthday present awhile back. At first I had no idea what to think but after laying in it once I decided that hammocks are amazing for your back

Hammock
    Dutchware Chameleon
    Tarp
    Dutchware Hex Tarp
    Insulation
    HG UQ or DIY UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Decided to start lightening up the pack, had a very heavy shelter/sleep system. Started doing research and found hammocking, then got an HH from another member here. Glad I did, I didn't have to give up any comfort in the process of lightening up.

Hammock
    Hennessy Expedition Asym Zip
    Insulation
    Modded Sleepin Bag
    Suspension
    Salvaged Seatbelts
    Images

Think Ants & Snakes

Hey Hey everyone, I think after introducing myself previously, I thought I would share my "What made you a "hanger"?" story. I have always been an outdoors person. I have been hiking and camping all my life. It just seemed to take a back seat for quite a few years or so when I got married and started having kids. Well, when all my kids got to be teenagers. I decided to re-up my gear and crawl back out into the bush. Here in FL there are a lot of bugs, snakes and many other creepy crawlies that use the floor of (what I lovingly refer to as) "the Jungle". I was thinking "Cot" or "Tent" and all that heavy backpacking gear. Then it dawned on me, a Hammock! A Hammock would work! My first one and still have was a wal-mart special. It's been good for a couple of years. I just had to Deet and cover up, even in winter. Now I have a Hennessy Expedition Asym Zip. I love it. I can hear the mosquitoes buzzing outside the netting. I love to tease them. He he. So,... Up off the invertebrate highway, is what made me a hanger. Now I'm hooked.
    Attached Images Attached Images

• + New Posts
  • Page 138 of 258 FirstFirst ... 3888128136137138139140148188238 ... LastLast