Page 166 of 258 FirstFirst ... 66116156164165166167168176216 ... LastLast
Results 1,651 to 1,660 of 2579
    Hammock
    Hennessy Expedition Classic
    Tarp
    Hennessy Hex
    Images
    Like many others, I'm a Scout leader (7th Markham). At a weekend camp this spring I found I was waking up every couple of hours because my shoulder and hip were sore from sleeping on my side. This summer my group will be spending a week at Haliburton and I dreaded the thought of night after night of bad sleep. (My first rule for happiness is to get a good night sleep.)

At this camp a couple of other Scouters were using hammocks (Hennessy) - and they weren't the first hangers I'd seen at various scout camps. They preached the comfort of hanging and everything I've read has backed up their claims. My Expedition Classic arrived in the mail yesterday and I can't wait to try it out. (No big trees in my backyard so it will have to be in one of the nearby woodlots.)

Well, technically, Im not a "hanger" yet....thus is why I am here...I've been an outdoorsman, backpacker/hiker, and camper my entire life. It just makes good sense to try hammock camping because it's usually a lighter affair, a bit more versatile at times, and especially is around here, and might be a better option for my back. I have a tad bit of back problems after being in the mountains for 30 years, 8 years of that were in the Army where I was run through the flint mill...As I said, been outdoors all my life, whenever, wherever...given the time, there is nothin I'd rather do or no place I'd rather be than camping...

Hammock
    HH Expedition Zip
    Tarp
    Asym Fly from HH
    Insulation
    Thermarest Pad
    Suspension
    ENO Atlas/Whoopie
    I became a hanger by accident really. My dad had one of those point safety reward books and it had a hammock in there and he told me to get something out of it. I got a speaker system and had some points leftover so I got a very cheap cloth hammock. I hung it up with a simple rope system and since then have been hooked. It was a good friend in college that introduced me to lightweight hammocks such as ENO's which really has got me moving in the direction of this site. My wife and I have now been going through the process of investing in gear for backpacking trips and the like and are loving our HH and Eno systems.

Hammock
    eno doublenest
    Insulation
    Hg 0 incubator
    Suspension
    atlas straps
    Images
    Not only am I a newbie to hanging, but to backpacking as well. I remember as a kid camping with my family and I found an old canvas jungle hammock in my dads military stuff. Started sleeping in it on our family trips and once I (re)discovered the thrill of backpacking, I thought that hammock camping would suit me. I am still somewhat undecided and overwhelmed, but have made the investment of a 0 degree underquilt to help alleviate my fears. I am so looking forward to learning so much about hammocking, backpacking, and the beauty that surrounds me!!!!

Hammock
    DIY ENO Style
    Tarp
    DIY Rectangle
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Hi All...Like ericball and numerous others I too am a scout leader! I have camped/backpacked/hiked in all but 8 states and have never experienced hammocking. After old age and treachery set in and plenty of people suggesting slings, I finally bought one. I have been reading all the info here like a mad man and seeing the least amount of coin I can spend on my first full outfit. This is a challenge on it's own as many of you know but, nonetheless it's the funnest way to learn about everything! Thanks for all the info and hope to be on here a bunch! Happy Hanging!

Hammock
    WB Blackbird
    Tarp
    kelty noah 12
    my first full night in a hammock came a couple years ago while on a paddle camping trip after my tent burned down. Happened from using an old camp candle inside the tent, and the hook for it must've been- uhm, after-market? Well, the candle dropped down, and everything went to hell in the amount of time it took me to eat dinner. Woke up in the middle of the night chilly- so i zipped up my jacket around the entire hamock and that worked out.
    Best lessons are learned from firsthand experience, and sometimes they get taught in seemingly bad ways...i replaced my lost gear with hammock stuff, and havent been back to ground since.

New Member Sunshine Sol Trail~Dancer's Avatar
    Hammock
    Grand Trunk Skeeter Beeter
    Tarp
    Aqua Quest
    Suspension
    atlas
    What made me a hanger ..........
    Well, for starters I love the outdoors- camping, hiking, backpacking, photographing nature, etc. I have been yearning to return to the world of backpacking for over 4 years now. Life, kids, work, etc. all seemed to have become obstacles, as well as trying to arrange a group of good folks all at the same time. But with perseverance and determination, I finally made it happen.
    And what better scenario to be in, than hammock camping?! So I did all my research, some on this site, and decided a Grand Trunk Skeeter Beeter was for me. My sister and a buddy followed suit.
    We had a group consisting of myself, my husband, sister, and two great friends go on a 2 night 3 day trip on the Bartram Trail (Hale Ridge Rd to Buckeye Creek section) in Western NC over Memorial Day wknd.
    Happier I could not have been setting up and sleeping in my SB!! Don’t think I will ever sleep in a tent again ……….
    ~♥~ Loving Every Minute I'm Living ~♥~

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird XLC
    Tarp
    Mamajamba
    Insulation
    Yeti + Mamba
    Suspension
    Whoopie
    Well I'm still very new to Hammock Hanging, but what started it for me was a hike through the Australian Wild Dog mountains in NSW with a good friend who had a Warbonnet Blackbird, I took a small one person tent on that hike. The weather was warm and I had no trouble finding a place to pitch the tent , but after we set up camp I loved how he could lounge back in the hammock or use it as a seat and enjoy a coffee taking in the views , he could slide the tarp into his home made snake skins and look up at the stars at night through the bug netting , I was stuck in this small tent locked away from this awesome scenery and star filled sky's, unless I crawled out to see the beauty of it all , and he could take it all in from the comfort of his Blackbird.
    And to top it all off his setup was very quick and easy to set up and take down and a few grams lighter than mine.
    No turning back after that hike, I just had to have one. I now own a Blackbird XLC and love it . I recently done a solo overnight hike in the local national park, the week after i received my wbbb xlc and it was fantastic.
    The same person that got me into hanging is planning a 4 night hike with me soon in the Blue Mountains and I can not wait to do it again , this time hanging.

Hammock
    11 ft. DIY
    Tarp
    Gimme Doors!
    Insulation
    HG Incub8r 20
    Suspension
    hugger+WS,spike
    Images
    I was an agnostic hanger, not an anti hanger, I just hadn't open my mind to the hang. I'm now on the edge between non-hanging and hanging. Last night I hung between two posts in my front yard. I'd finished 2 DIY hammocks and suspensions weeks ago and an underquilt UQ two days ago. Tomorrow night, I hang again. This morning at dawn, I saw bats winging overhead, snatching bugs out of the sky.

Once I get this hammock camping thing nailed down, I'll try to convert my daughter to hammock camping.

I don't have a dirt phobia, but I like how when I get out of a hammock the only thing on the ground is my shoes where I left them. No condensation and dirt under a tent or ground sheet to have to shake off or dry later. I like not sitting on the ground. Unlike ground camping, when I move around in a hammock, I don't find a rock or root that I didn't see when scouting my campsite.

I think I'll make an indoor hammock stand and a bridge hammock next. DIY for me is more fun than a barrel of monkeys.

I was wanting to get back into camping and hiking on a minimalist level and had already been familiar with hammocks for years. After seeing all the changes in hammock techniques and designs (particularly in winter camping), I though this would be a great way to go, especially if it gets my arthritic, fat butt off the ground! I'm also curious about making some of the equipment from scratch. A big thanks goes out to Shug for pointing this group out in his videos.

• + New Posts
  • Page 166 of 258 FirstFirst ... 66116156164165166167168176216 ... LastLast