Hammock
    WBBB, Eno Double Nest
    Tarp
    Eno Pro Fly
    Insulation
    Pad and top quilt
    Suspension
    Woopie, Slap Strap
    I started a few years ago doing bike touring and hammocking became the lightest option but I quickly discovered it was dang comfy too. Now I'm outfitting my whole family with a hammock if their own.

Hammock
    TTTM
    Tarp
    DIY silnylon camo
    Insulation
    DDUQ
    Suspension
    Tree straps, WS
    Images
    For me, it was an ideal solution. I have backpacked a lot over the years travelling- tents, bivvies, open sky etc, but all ground-based. In fact it amazes me that I traveled so extensively without ever having come across hammocking as a means of night-stopping. Came across HF quite by chance on a random google search and it has completely hooked me since. I so much wish I'd had a hammock when I first set out travelling. It'd have saved me a fortune in fees, it would've opened up a world of more viable and scenic stop-overs, and been so very much more stress-free and comfortable. Not to mention so much lighter overall!!! I am a true convert to the dangle. I have since introduced my brother and our combined brood of 6 kids to the fraternity, each with their own DIY gathered-end hammocks. Both our respective women are still somewhat sceptical, but we're working on that
    Living, learning, and loving both.

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird XLC
    Tarp
    Banana Hut a DIY
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    Images
    Hey Te-wa,
    I really got started into hammocks heavy just about 2 years now. I tried my first one out about 15 years ago down in Florida. I was real comfy in it but hammocks and hammock technology have come along way. In regards to material, suspension and plain out just keeping the bugs off you. Hammock has come along way. Now that Im older I really enjoy setting up, putting my shoes on and standing. Instead of crawling out of a tent

What made me a hanger?

The best and lightest solo tents cost upwards of $400 to $500 dollars, which is ridiculous. In an effort to cut costs I decided to purchase an ENO deluxe package. It included and ENO Deluxe hammock, bug net, atlas straps, rain fly and tarp stakes for a grand total of $240 dollars. In the end I saved money, space, weight in my pack and now I am a hanger.

Hammock
    DIY 8 foot
    Tarp
    Silnylon 8x10
    Insulation
    Woobie UQ
    Suspension
    Kammock Pythons
    I got started because of terrible tent experiences. I made all my own gear, and as Chips said its' a heck of a lot cheaper than tenting. I have a tent that cost me $300 and im more comfortable in my homemade $40 hammock.

Hammock
    ENO DoubleNest
    I was looking for a way to shed some ounces in my pack because I got tired of lugging around a four pound tent. So I did some research and found the ENO DoubleNest the best option since it was cheap and I'm an unemployed student living off a fixed income. Then I got diagnosed with few issues in my spine (all kinds of things happening there) and not only does the lower weight of the hammock in the pack help but sleeping in it is like heaven on my back. I may never touch the ground again while camping.

Also, I am really excited about being a new member of Hammock Forums. I really love hammock camping and want to learn as much as I can. So any advice would be wonderful, especially concerning DIY aspects of hammocks and how to do things on the cheap.

Hammock
    BIAS WW
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Hex | Std
    Insulation
    Palisade | Phoenix
    Suspension
    Dutch Speed Hooks
    Images
    I have become interested because I'm tired of fighting the mud, rocks, and damp of the PNW back country. I never pulled the trigger because it looked like the systems were just too heavy.
    Then recently I was on a 4 day in the Olympics (Enchanted Valley) and it was damp and drizzly.... this guy (someone on here?) pulls in to the camp area, pulls this sausage looking thing out of his pack, walks up to a tree and in a couple of seconds had a tarp hung. He then pulled out a small double-sided stuff sack and had his hammock, and bug net up. My jaw was in the mud. It added insult to injury when (after putting his TQ and UQ on and hanging his pack) he pulled out a small piece of Tyvek, removed his boots, and climbed in. He was set up and relaxing in less than 10 minutes... no mud, no fuss, no worries.
    I thought to myself "if I can find a way to hammock that won't push me back up over 10lb BPW, I'm in." I got home and immediately started researching. I chose my gear and borrowed a friends old MYOG hammock that kicks around on his deck to make sure I wasn't totally crazy, and that I would be able to sleep.

SOLD!

Now I'm trying to figure out if I can hang during upcoming trips on the Wonderland and Timberline.

Hammock
    GT Double
    Tarp
    DIY Painters 4mil
    Suspension
    Straps Whoopie MSH
    My sons. Both went off to college and both were introduced to hammocks by friends as a way to get away from the dorm and find a quiet place to read, hang out, relax. Son #1 introduced me first when he bought one from REI, then Son #2 asked for one as a gift - then I had to try one for myself. We went on a family vacation and son #2 put his up and I was hooked!

I have one now that lives in my backpack and goes with me fishing, along to anywhere I wander on weekends. I've hung it in parks and enjoyed a quiet morning reading while my wife attends meetings and even hung it in my office when I had to work a long Saturday waiting for systems to come back on line. I'm looking forward to hanging this weekend using my SUV on one side and a ladder on the other side - just to see if it can be done.

I never liked tents. When I saw a pic of a HH in a backcountry setting that was all it took for me. It just made too much sense so now I am diving in.

Hammock
    Blackbird, Homemade
    Tarp
    DD 3x3
    Insulation
    Sleeping Bag, Mat
    Suspension
    webbing, buckles
    Well one day I was searching youtube for smaller more lightweight sleep systems when I came across shug and his "hammock camping how to and whatnot .... for noobs" series and I went out and made myself a hammock from a tarp that cost me €1.99 (about 3 bucks) and some paracord whipped at the ends and some webbing as a suspension. Here is a pic of me in said hammock.

2014-07-08 15.04.16.jpg

The rest as they is history.

• + New Posts
  • Page 168 of 258 FirstFirst ... 68118158166167168169170178218 ... LastLast