Hammock
    Hennessey Expedition Zip
    Tarp
    superfly
    Insulation
    3S Potomac
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    I used to go camping with my dad and brother when I was younger. One year we brought a cheap mesh hammock with us to just relax on during the day around camp. Since then I haven't gone camping without one of those cheap mesh hammock. A few years ago I started googling hammock camping and came across a couple of shug's videos and decided I wanted to give it a try. My parents bought my my first hammock, HH Expedition zip, for Christmas last year an I've been hooked since. This year I'm hoping they get to an underquilt and a superfly tarp. At this point an time I can't afford my own gear and ask for nothing but gear for every occasion lol. =)

Hammock
    ENO DoubleNest
    Tarp
    ENO ProFly
    Insulation
    Jarbridge UQ
    Suspension
    ENO Atlas Straps
    Images
    there's a few reasons why i started hanging, and now i'm hooked.
    1. They are WAY more comfortable than sleeping on the ground!
    2. It is a lot less gear to have to haul around than a tent and sleeping pads.
    3. I always like the thought of being different from the traditional tent system.
    4. Shug's videos. lol
    5. They turn into a campsite chair or recliner when you're not sleeping.

I was on a camping trip with a bunch of other people, and a couple people brought their Eno twins to relax in. I had lain down in one of the hammocks for 2 seconds before I was completely relaxed. Usually it is hard to get to sleep, but laying there was so comfortable I just had to try one out for me to sleep in at home. I have built my own now with some features i haven't noticed yet in the forum, and built two others for my kids.

Hammock
    DIY Bedsheet
    Insulation
    DIY 3/4 UQ
    Suspension
    Webbing with rings
    I moved into a new place with friends a couple years back and didn't have a bed. After sleeping on the floor and deciding that was silly, I got the bright idea to hang a hammock to save money. After couple of eye bolts and bed sheets later and I was in business. Also, since winter was approaching, I made an UQ by cannibalizing a pillow one cold night. The first one ripped on me too. I slept in it for about 3 months and really dialed in the comfort. You learn pretty fast when it's the only thing you sleep on.

IMG_20130827_005534.jpg
    IMG_20130827_005645.jpg

Hammock
    11 Ft Dutch Hexon 1.0 Sidezip
    Tarp
    12 ft HG Quest
    Insulation
    3/4 Phoenix20
    Suspension
    Spiderpolybeetles
    I think I discovered hammocks on WhiteBlaze about 10 years ago.Bot me an HH Expedition Asym because of the back pain precluded ground sleep anymore.Nearly froze a few times with reflective type pads.Have not had an opportunity to try out my new underquilt but once a few more items arrive which might also include a 2QZQ UQ protector then it's off to the woods to try it out.Now that I have lost 60 pounds and got my winter backpack down to about 25 pounds and my front pack weighing in at around 8 with the 3rd liter of water,I think I can at last handle the weight as the load no longer feels excessive.At some point in time I am thinking about starting a thread about "gear you bought but wished you hadn't" and see if I am the only one who has shelved a few items............

Hammock
    Dutch Halfwit
    Tarp
    HG Cuben w/ doors
    Insulation
    HG uq + Down Bag
    Suspension
    DIYwhoops+MuleTape
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Moose85 View Post
    ...One year we brought a cheap mesh hammock with us to just relax on during the day around camp. Since then I haven't gone camping without one of those cheap mesh hammock...
    I love it! I can't count the number of naps I took in these wonderful things!

Hammock
    Grand Trunk UL
    Tarp
    Nylon
    Suspension
    Woopie slings
    Well I have a bad back. And when I lay on the ground even with a good Therma rest I'm still achy when I wake. I have heard nothing but good things about Hammock camping. So I have decided to start trying it out. I have found it mostly on the web. And like i said I hear that its great for people that have back issues. So Ill see for myself.

Hammock
    RidgeRunner
    Tarp
    Thunderfly
    Insulation
    AHE Ridgecreek XL
    Suspension
    Myers Tech
    I love hiking but do not sleep well on the ground. I started researching better sleeping pad options on YouTube and stumbled across some hammock videos. I love the comfort of a hammock, but for some reason always associated them with relaxing at the beach and not as a means of a solid nights sleep on the trail. I took the plunge and bought my first hammock (a DD travel Hammock) and fell in love with Hammock camping. After purchasing a few hammocks and reading a lot of posts on this site, I made my first DIY Hammock. I have been a member of HF for awhile now, but just recently started to post.

I am a long time ground dweller and while planning a camping trip I thought a hammock would be fun to set up and relax in. I ordered a hammock I googled hammock hanging techniques and found this forum. Next thing I knew I became addicted to all things hammock related. I bought a bunch of stuff from Dutch Ware and that fueled the addiction even more! To make matters worse, I found Shug's great videos and now my family wants to have a hammock addiction intervention for me. After hammock camping I can now say that I will never be a ground dweller again! I lurked the forum for a while and found this forum to be a great source of info and am amazed by how helpful everyone is.
    Last edited by got hammocks?; 12-16-2014 at 15:34.

Hammock
    DD superlight
    Tarp
    DD superlight, reg
    Insulation
    Exped downmat 5 M
    Suspension
    DD Superlight tree
    Hey guys, I live in a small ish town next to the woods and moors so there's a small "backpacker shop" (that's the name, too). I like having a nosie in there and a few years back I bought two of my favourite things: an ipood latrine digger with an awesome name and a parachute hammock. I don't know if it has a brand, I lost the stuff sack one dark night and I regret it as recently I've been looking at eno nests with the sewn sacks or double ended sacks but I'll make another.

I've been hammocking for a few years but only in the past year or so I've got serious. The hammock came with some para cord with hooks in one end and a loop in the other. Initially I thought a hammock is to be taught but I later realised through the ultimate hang etc it needs a ridgeline of 83%. I sorted that and had a hexagonal day shelter I got for £20 in millets by eurohike. I don't know what material it is but it's worked. It has a 320cm ridgeline and six eye loops originally for two poles as it's waterproof but to be a shelter for picknicks I suppose as it's UV proof.

Now it's Christmas I've asked dear santa for a nite eze figure 9 carabiner and a small carabiner for the other side with dynaglide cord for a rapid pitch as dereck has shown in the ultimate hang. Also, I'll hopefully get a warbonnet hammock sling with 12 feet of webbing (IT DOESN'T SEEM TO SAY ON THE SITE but I asked anyway). This has a little cinch buckle thing which is light weight and doesn't seem fiddly. A good combination of weight and speed.

This is great, I've been using thick para cord with a truckers hitch and some string for the tap foe a while on bridges, trees, anywhere as I camp both urban and wild with biking everywhere. The next town is 9 miles away so camping seems to make more sense. Stealth camping in more dodgy areas makes me feel suitably safe, too. I've spent most my time tying knots than sleeping so I think I've come a long way from tents or hanging in disused buildings. I still do it but now I'm comfy, healthy and safe with less time risking the elements or dodgy people. I hope to meet fellow campers on here for good times or from what I've seen, good "hangs".

• + New Posts
  • Page 175 of 258 FirstFirst ... 75125165173174175176177185225 ... LastLast