Page 177 of 258 FirstFirst ... 77127167175176177178179187227 ... LastLast
Results 1,761 to 1,770 of 2579
    I tented for a while, was pretty good at it I think. Comfortable in general and got used to all the things you do as a tent user. There were however some common problems I always had to address. Putting up a tent in the rain and keeping more or less dry. Can be done but not easy. Packing up after time on the ground, making sure everything is clean. Finding a flat spot which can be very hard. Not being able to put a tent in heavy growth areas. And a number of other things. There are some positives though. Privacy is greater in a tent, nature call in a bottle is easier, my stuff is easier to have within reach, backpack getting wet or a critter getting into it not really an issue. Taking my dog along. Using a hammock was an easy way to address some of the biggest issues of tent camping. I am new to hanging and still learning to address some of the issues but for the most part, they are minor when camping alone, become a little more important when camping with my wife or if I bring along my dog. My wife likes sleeping next to me when we camp and that is now out. That is probably the biggest issue. Most everything else I have been able to adjust for. Still working on staying warm without bringing along a lot of stuff which is hard to do with backpacking. Camping alone I prefer the hammock by a good margin, when I camp with my wife, we still tent. With a hammock you can sleep anywhere, over a stream if you want, and it is possible to go to ground. Set-up and take-down easier and faster (though not in a race). Easier to stay dry during set-up and take-down with a hammock. So, overall, hammock was the easy winner for me though still working a few issues . . . and with the one exception of camping with my wife.

In a round about way, Mors Kochanski

I've been a self professed survival nut since the 80's and in my pursuit of a career in the Army and my desire to serve with Special Forces, I've spent a LOT of time ground dwelling. I've since become a chaplain in the Army and my jump injuries and age have made me less desirous to sleep on the ground, but my soul cries out for the wilderness. Because of Ryan Jordan, I've been interested in super ultralight hiking. Because of Dave Canterbury, I've been interested in the 21st Longhunter concept and have worked to reduce my bushcraft kit as well. I'm becoming a fan of the minimalist movement and all of that led me to finally discover Mors about a year ago. I was mostly interested in his bushcraft skills, but I ran across his multifunctional survival scarf and was blown away. Then I found the guys at mollymacpack.com and they did what I was thinking and turned this already awesome piece of kit into a hammock. So, as I was getting ready to deploy to Afghanistan and thought this a perfect time to try it out. I found a supply of parachute fabric on eBay (before I found this forum and the awesome folk at places like ripstopbytheroll.com) It was 30" wide, so I had to rip one in half and sew it to both sides. I added the mosquito net pull out to the second layer like a molly mac and made some crude homemade dog bones and a 1/2" tubular hang system. Me and the kids tried it out and I was hooked. I've since discovered you guys and ordered and made whoopie slings and soft shackles. It is awesome! I've made a PLUQ with my issue poncho liner and I have a sarape from hillpeoplegear.com on the way. I will be ordering multicam fabric to make a tarp and a different hammock when I get back from deployment. I've found it interesting that my hammock is only 9' and as a 6'4 240lb dude, it is very comfortable. I'm interested to see if a longer one really makes a difference or if the super compact size of mine is just what I want as my one go to shelter system for deployment, camping, backpacking, back country hunting and fishing and just general hanging. Thanks guys for all the ideas.

Hammock
    Eno (so far)
    Tarp
    Silnylon w/doors
    Insulation
    Blaze underquilt
    Suspension
    Atlas tree friend
    I got into hanging, because I have been into motocamping in the Gifford Pinchot National Forest. I needed a lighter setup, and it turns out to be easier on my body, so I'm camping more. I hang around all the volcanoes here in Washington state. And in the columbia River Gorge. I go hiking so the hammock gets the nod over my heavy tent system. I like the no impact my set up is. i do whatever is possible to not harm any tree, and set up my suspension to have minimal impact on where I hang. I am brand new to this site, and I am not really sure how it all works.

Hammock
    Pak-it-Lite F.O.B
    Tarp
    Pak-it-Lite Fly
    Insulation
    Quechua A200 UL
    Suspension
    Pak-it-Lite
    Images
    I got hammock envy after spending a couple of nights out in Arrochar with my mate. He invited me to try his DD Hammock. I instantly loved it, but when my dog refused to get out of it I knew I had to get involved!
    alola.jpg

Hammock
    only have one, Grand Trunk Double
    Tarp
    WTB
    Insulation
    Peapod
    Suspension
    work in progress
    one cold night on the ground with 2 sleeping pads, still cold hard ground got to me then the rain did under the "Waterproof" tent. ha anyway decided i wanted to keep camping but not on the ground and have been sleeping great ever since.

Hammock
    GT SBP
    Tarp
    Various DIY's
    Insulation
    DIY top/btm quilts
    Suspension
    Homemade Whoopies
    New to the forum but not Hanging. I started about 17years ago after getting out of basic/ait and getting to my first duty station as an Infantryman. I had done some backpacking and whatnot with my family before that and when I seen how ridiculously heavy our issued shelter half's/rope/stakes/poles sleep system was I picked up a cheap pocket hammock. every time we went to the field my issued sleep system stayed in my locker and I carried that little hammock in my cargo pocket and slept off the ground. It's been all downhill from there. LOL.

Hammock
    diy
    Basically it was shugs videos that intrigued me. So i bought a cheap canadian tire hammock and tried it out on a canoe trip and loved it. I have been evolving my diy system ever since. I use the cheap one as a loaner.

Hammock
    Clark Flex 180 Camo
    Tarp
    vertex
    I always been an outdoor enthusiasts and a backpacker. I live in Miami and have a love affair with The Big Cypress National park and Everglades, because most of the year it rains, its hard to find a spot to pitch a tent and that's how I became a hanger. Love how quick you can make camp and how easy is to break camp if a thunderstorm is coming or is need to move quickly.

Hammock
    +11' Black Argon
    A weekend down in Linville Gorge. Couldn't get comfortable all weekend. As soon as I got home I ordered some Argon fabric and have never looked back.

Hammock
    Clark NA
    Tarp
    Vertex
    Insulation
    pad and top quilt
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    After a lovely early spring float trip end poorly in the last 1/4 mile, and cost me my tent, sleeping bag and heavy cook set up I was using I was desperate to find gear as the season was just starting. I hadn't needed gear in years and hadn't really looked much. The new found reason to gear hunt made me realize just how heavy my set ups were...are...So I after finding what was going to be my new tent and looking up reviews I spied someone's random comment about it still being over a pound to heavy compared to his sweet hammock set up. A quick Google or two found me tossing out the tent ideas and neck deep in options about something I'd never thought of as an option.

Currently have a Clark with a Vertex tarp, using a back up sleeping bag unzipped it leaves me with about a 1' foot box, and a pad. Lucky for me i'm rather hot sleeper and just the pad, sleeping back and Clark's pockets I've got down to 27F, though I woke up with a sweat covered back, so looking to get me a UQ and toss the pad. Its still a the best nights sleep I've ever had, I often set up in the backyard when I just can't take the bed anymore.

• + New Posts
  • Page 177 of 258 FirstFirst ... 77127167175176177178179187227 ... LastLast