Hammock
    DD Hammocks Frontline
    Tarp
    DD Tarp 3x3
    Insulation
    DD Underblanket
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Hi, I'm new to this Forum and to Hammocking in general.
    A few weeks ago, I bought a Therm-A-Rest Slacker Hammock for relaxing during my Lunch Break on Day-Hikes.
    I instantly fell in love with it and decided to- instead of sleeping on the ground on my upcoming tours- be a Hanger.
    Last Night I had my first night (Backyard) in my newly bought DD Hammocks Frontline with an PLUQ attached. I can't say it was great, but it wasn't
    that bad, either. In the morning hours it became pretty cold and I had to go inside and get my sleeping bag. Once I was laying in it, the rest of the night was
    pretty good.

Hammock
    HH UL Expl, Expd, WBBB XL, homemade
    Tarp
    Hex, WB Edge
    Insulation
    HHSS or Yeti UQ
    Suspension
    Straps or whoopies
    About 10 years ago I was working in Southeast Asia and fed up with mosquito filled huts in the jungle, so I did some googling and came across some guy called Tom Hennessy. Several emails later and with great advice from Tom I selected an ultralight explorer with hex tarp and eventually took delivery. Absolute bliss.

Hammock
    Hennessy ExD Asym Zip
    Insulation
    Sbag/under quilt
    Suspension
    Marlin/Whoopie
    I am an assistant scout master for my son's troop.... one of the new ASM's (three years ago) came to one of the campouts with a hammock system instead of a tent... thought he was a bit nuts - but his reply was simply I can not go camping unless I am in a hammock because I have a very bad back. So... I watched and learned and learned and some more learning... Last summer I was asked to be a leader for summer camp - so I decided to get myself a hammock system.... OMG after that first hang I was hooked.

Hammock
    DIY Gathered End
    Tarp
    Kelty Noah
    Insulation
    DIY UQ & TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie Sling
    Posted this in my hello to the forum, but seems to apply here as well....

I have been a ground camper for almost 40 years. Grew up sleeping on a thin piece of foam under the stars. The last several years though I found it getting more and more uncomfortable and I was starting to move to thicker inflatable pads. But after my first few times in a hammock I decided that it was for me. Will still have to ground camp in the desert, but when there are trees I will have my hammock with me.

Hammock
    WBRR or 11' PolyD
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    Down
    Suspension
    SpdrPoly Cinch Bug
    Quote Originally Posted by Kamper Kurt View Post
    Posted this in my hello to the forum, but seems to apply here as well....

I have been a ground camper for almost 40 years. Grew up sleeping on a thin piece of foam under the stars. The last several years though I found it getting more and more uncomfortable and I was starting to move to thicker inflatable pads. But after my first few times in a hammock I decided that it was for me. Will still have to ground camp in the desert, but when there are trees I will have my hammock with me.
    Build yourself a turtle dog stand and you won't have to go back to ground even in the desert! I used to sleep on the ground for those types of camps but missed my hammock. Now I almost never go to ground. It won't work for backpacking but works in a lot of situations without trees.

Hammock
    Warbonnet Traveler 1.1 Single
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    My scout troop had a bunch of troop Hennesey Hammocks, and I ended up trying one, and I was hooked

Gotta say, no.1 shug's YouTube and no.2 one night sleeping at a crowded campsite were I had to sleep on a slope surrounded by trees...

Hammock
    Bearded Hanger 11'
    Tarp
    Monster Tarp
    Insulation
    HG TQ/LocoLibre UQ
    Suspension
    Homemade Whoopies
    A million years ago I had a "fishnet" hammock hung in a fan space on an aircraft carrier. I slept better there than in my rack. Since then I have almost always had a backyard hammock. Fast forward to 8-10 years ago I started seeing camping hammocks at REI. I finally bought an ENO and took it camping. I had never searched the interwebs for hammocks until recently. I learned the hard way you can be cold in warm temps and figured ways to make it comfortable. Of course now with UQs and TQs life is good. As I get older it is a lot easier to get in and out of a hammock rather than get up off the cold ground. I don't do much campground camping and to this day have never run into anyone hanging. Until I wandered into this forum I figured I was pretty much alone.

Hammock
    Amok Draumr 3.0
    Tarp
    Kelty Noah 16'
    Insulation
    Pads baby
    Suspension
    Straps and biners
    The sheer comfort the first time I tried it. This was before I knew about hanging diagonal. Plus I wanted a quick to set up, light in the pack camping alternative. Currently making a 12.5 foot DIY coyote brown so even more comfort. I do tend to toss and turn a bit. Also I'm a slide sleeper so I was thinking, me being 5'11" with broad shoulders, a longer hang would suit me.

• + New Posts
  • Page 188 of 258 FirstFirst ... 88138178186187188189190198238 ... LastLast