Page 190 of 258 FirstFirst ... 90140180188189190191192200240 ... LastLast
Results 1,891 to 1,900 of 2579
    Well, my son and I do a lot of camping and hunting in the backwoods of NJ. PA, NY. In an effort to try to reduce are gear and still be comfortable we started researching hammocks. So he started buying ENO stuff when it came on sale until he had a completes system. He tried it in the yard, and liked it. So this past 4th of July on a 1250+ mile solo motorcycle trip I took it with me and tried it out. It was way AMAZING, so there it is.....time to get my own and retire the tents.

RUNT ''13''

Senior Member Theguywitheyebrows's Avatar
    Hammock
    DUTCHWARE HEXON 1.0
    Tarp
    GoldenEagle Tarp
    Insulation
    New River/DIY TQ
    Suspension
    J-bend on straps
    Images
    to get me hangin has been a long road. I've been prepping for disaster for about the last 8 years. in search of the best gear for all the little things i began to realize i was too close too technology and much too far away from nature. once it set in that i needed the kind of knowledge our society has lost since 'money buys everything' started, self sufficiency with regards to food and shelter started to become more and more important to me. knowing camping is the closest thing im ever going get to actually being on my own, i started the trek into the best gear. the girl i was dating at the time was into camping as well and we invested in a tent and sleeping bags and so forth and after the first night i remembered why i stopped camping: sleeping isn't easy in the first place, much less on the ground than a tempurpedic. further research brought me to hammocking as a the next best thing to BEING IN THE WOMB. that girl and i split up before she ever allowed me to purchase a hammock, so once we split up i delved into DIY hammocking. i'll never buy another mattress as long as i live. i'll buy cuben fibre tarps or UQ/TQ materials for $300, but i won't buy a mattress. ever. i'll convince anyone to buy a hammock, hell they can even buy mine (for the price it takes to get me better materials to build better gear \m/). i love it, im upset that i dont' have countless yards of everything to just sit and build stuff all day. i've been converted into a lifelong hammocker, thanks to www.theultimatehang.com and its creator HF member dejoha. thank you derek!!
    Last edited by Theguywitheyebrows; 07-17-2015 at 10:18.

Hammock
    SLD Trail Lair & WB Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    HG 12ft. Sil Poly
    Insulation
    SLD Trail Winder
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    I have been hanging out in the forums just browsing around for a couple of years. I didn't even own a hammock but had some interest and a thirst for knowledge. Then one day I saw a post about how hanging indoors can help back pain. Sooooooo, I bit the bullet and bought a hammock. I have a simple setup just using two eye bolts thru the drywall into the studs, some chain and I hang in my spare bedroom. It took me about a month of trying different things to get to sleep, (these forums helped me out here too) but now I am a FULL TIME INDOOR HANGER!!!! Oh, and did I mention my back pain is virtually non existent when I wake up. One day I hope to meet some of you during an outdoor hang but to date I have never, ever been in a hammock outdoors. One more thing. I rent this place, so don't let that stop you. I can fix the holes and paint over this in five minutes to make sure I get my deposit back. Thanks to all.
    ~ Rerun

In 100 years it won't make any difference...

Hammock
    DH Sparrow
    Tarp
    13' Winter Haven
    Insulation
    quilts
    Suspension
    Tensa4
    I have never found sleeping on an inflatable mattress in a tent to let me have a comfortable nights sleep, I'm hoping for better comfort - that's enough reason for me.

Hammock
    Hennessy Hammock ultralight zip
    Tarp
    Camo 11x8.5 Cuben
    Insulation
    KCHO 3/4 UQ
    Got tired of sleeping like a worm in the dirt

Hammock
    Sheltowee Boone 20 degree
    Tarp
    OES MacUltra
    Insulation
    UQ •850 fill power
    Suspension
    Strap and buckle
    This is a great way to break the ice. Personally, I was sleeping under a tarp with another tarp as a ground sheet, due to the fact that things get quite wet in my neck of the woods during the winter. That being said, with the wet comes the inevitable water under the tarp and onto the ground sheet and into your sleeping bag, yuck. I have been actively pursuing information on bushcraft via youtube and was introduced to the notion of hammock camping. This led me to find the likes of ProfessorHammock and Shugemery who provided much information about hammocks. Thus was the beginning of my love affair with the hammock. I purchased one ($50 Grand Trunk) at an outfitters in town. Decided I need an UQ to combat CBS. Used an old sleeping bag anchored around the hammock gathered ends and was quite warm. Now, I work towards a lighter set up, just need a Top Quilt and I have my sleeping system.
    treebinky

Oh Man! Where is Sector 7 again?

Hammock
    Dutch 11' polyD
    Tarp
    HFT poly 8'x10'
    Insulation
    reflectix/SB pod
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie/MSH
    For me, I've always loved backpacking and outdoor adventure sports; however, I just recently (5yrs) have had the real funds to do it. I love being able to get outside and enjoy nature. I ski, whitewater kayak, backpack, and climb. It's best when you can stay out and not have to go home then do it all again the next day, but it's hard to do too many night with sleep apnea. I was researching CPAP machines that would be small and light enough to put in my pack when I ran across someone who mentioned hammock sleeping. I don't require a lot of pressure so I figured a hammock could work. I find I can sleep better without my CPAP in a hammock than on the ground so that pretty much did it for me. The fact that I get to make a lot of my own gear doesn't hurt either!

Hammock
    Bonefire Whisper
    Tarp
    HG DCF Hex
    Insulation
    Sheltowee JRB SS
    Suspension
    Bonefire
    I have to give the nod to Tom at HH. I've never owned or even tried one of his hammocks, but I use to have his site bookmarked, and I'd go there and dream.

Found Just Jeff then HF. After that and it was off to the races.
    Signature suspended

Hammock
    DIY Gathered End
    Tarp
    DIY 12 ft. w/Doors
    Insulation
    Flight Jacket
    Suspension
    Cinch Buckles
    I have been a hiker for about 8 years now and I have also had back problems for 9 of those years. After several hiking trips and sleeping on foam or air pads i couldn't get comfortable. I looked into hammocks because they looked fun and comfortable. Since i've switched to the HH I have slept through the night, felt a lot better after hiking long distances and enjoyed not sleeping on the ground. Hammocks rule.

Hammock
    WBBB XLC
    Tarp
    WB Superfly!!
    Insulation
    my 50 extra lbs.!!
    Suspension
    webbing/cinch bkls
    I have fond memories of camping at the lake with my family and my dad and uncle would put up hammocks to relax on. I hated sleeping on the ground (albiet on a camp "pallet") so I hopped into the hammock and slept great plus that cocoon feel is the best along with the soft sway with a nice breeze. Ok so my dad's hammock was a military issue canvas hammock but it was still fun to sleep in.

I hadn't sat in a hammock since then and wanted to see about getting one; then I came across this forum, The Ultimate Hang, Shugemery and many others that educated me on the newest technology.

We recently joined scouts with my son and, of course, we are leaders. I would like to get my son interested so I hunted around and found a very inexpensive hammock but will make some mods to hopefully test it out and I will eventually give that one to my son and I will get another for myself.... I'm excited and glad to be part of the community!!

Howdy from Texas!!!

• + New Posts
  • Page 190 of 258 FirstFirst ... 90140180188189190191192200240 ... LastLast