Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird
    Tarp
    ID Siltarp 2
    Suspension
    Cord/Straps

new hanger

Hey all,

I started my whole camping experience as a new troop leader with my step daughter who had just entered the troop section (scouts - there seems to be a lot of us here).

I was totally and completely hooked on light weight backpacking - that was 10 years and many trips ago.

I was at PJ (pacific Jamboree '07 at Camp Byng - my son is now a scout/soon to be venturer) when I purchased and brought along a Peak double hammock, thinking I would use it to just 'hang around' the campsite it. The weather was plenty warm so I decided I would try sleeping in it. I woke up from one of the best sleeps of my life and my comment to my other leaders was "my back feels fantastic".

Now, I have no real problems sleeping on the ground. I actually have slept better on the ground than in my bed at home for years. (bed was old and needed replacing - I have since threw it out. My peak hammock hangs in my bedroom).

The local MEC store had Hennessey hammocks and I almost bought one back in '07 (and several times since) but I stalled on it because most of my camping is shoulder season and winter and I couldn't see the hammock, from my experience in the peak hammock, being usable in the temperatures in the local BC Coast mountains.

My ground comfort has been less recently (mostly I blame on an expanding waistline. I think admitting the age thing might be an issue) and I kept going back to thinking about how to make a camping hammock work. About 6-8 months ago I came across the Clark site, with it's promise of a 4 season hammock and I was sold. If I hadn't been short cash this year I would already have one.

A trainer with the local area training team (scouts, again) had a Hennessey set up at a recent training event and I got to check it out. Very cool - he had the whole Shelter system with the undercover and foam insert.

Soo, I am still sold, but haven't chosen which hammock to buy yet. The Hennessey expedition is cheaper but not so much after you add in the shelter - and the shelter and the slim foam pad don't go a long way to convincing me that it would really be effective. (but that is another topic - look for it soon as I have questions and hopefully can get some feedback before I commit money).

Cheers!
    CoyoteWanderer

Hammock
    G-Bird II/Bridge
    Tarp
    Ogee tarp
    Insulation
    DIY TQ DIY Down UQ
    Suspension
    whoopies
    Images
    While rummaging through the parents attic in '77, I found an old jungle hammock. Dad said it was from his stint in the Navy, and I could give it a whirl. Many fun summer nights spent sleeping peacefully in the back yard. Finally worked up the courage to actually take my hammock out into the public. Packed it in on a church outing to South Fox Island, near Sleeping Bear Dunes, in Lake Michigan. Took alot of jeers from fellow campers, "are you nuts, what is that thing?" I'm sure you all have heard it before!! Trekked in a mile or two to our campsite, a flat spot in between the sand dunes, as everyone pitched their tents, I strolled back into the trees, found a small valley with suitable trees and strung up my canvas (yuk) hammock. As luck would have it, a big storm blew in our first night, rain, wind and lightning. I awoke the next morning to see EVERYONE out trying to get dry, tents blown everywhere. I slept through it all. I knew I was on to something special. I'm presently in the process of up-grading to sil-nylon and learning alot from this sight. Cut up an old dome tent and made a tarp and UQ. Just want to say thanks to all of you who make this site, it has been awesome to know that I'm not the only crazy one out there. My wife might disagree, but she's coming around. Had a few issues with my new $15 hammock, S-hook failure, solved that with carabiners. Looking forward to making my own hammock, bugnet, etc. Good practice on old dome, sewing learning curve. Suggest that all newbies try sewing on something expendable, its not as easy as it looks. Proud to be a hanger.

Hammock
    Hennessey Explorer Ultralight
    Tarp
    Hennessey Hex
    Insulation
    HH Super Shelter
    Suspension
    ring buckle
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by gargoyle View Post
    Looking forward to making my own hammock, bugnet, etc. Good practice on old dome, sewing learning curve. Suggest that all newbies try sewing on something expendable, its not as easy as it looks. Proud to be a hanger.
    Check the "We Don't Sew... We Make Gear" vid series. It will demystify some of the process for you.
    I may be slow... But I sure am gimpy.

"Bless you child, when you set out to thread a needle don't hold the thread still and fetch the needle up to it; hold the needle still and poke the thread at it; that's the way a woman most always does, but a man always does t'other way."
    Mrs. Loftus to Huck Finn

We Don't Sew... We Make Gear! video series

Important thread injector guidelines especially for Newbies

Bobbin Tension - A Personal Viewpoint

Hammock
    Speer
    Tarp
    8x10 cat silnylon
    Insulation
    thermarest w/ SPE
    Suspension
    Speers straps.

How I started hanging

I had hiked for years. When I was younger and more fit those 60Lb. packs were no problem. I'm in my mid 40's and somewhat overweight with asthma but I still want to hike. I need an edge.
    I had been experiementing with tarps..... begging for tyvek at construction sites and trying to figure how to stay dry and lighten up. I had started weighing the contents of the pack..... you know where that leads.
    Buy a lighter pack.
    Buy a lighter sleep system.
    Buy a lighter tent.

Then I heard a podcast.... Southeastern Backpackers..... they talked about hammocks...They lead me to Toothless's AT hiking..... more hammocks....

I went to Ed Speers' site and after some thought I got one and it's proven to be wonderfull....

I don't intend to ground sleep anymore!

Hammock
    Blackbird Dbl. 1.1
    Tarp
    OES MacCat Dlx.
    Insulation
    Yeti
    Images
    I had been looking for a comfortable sleep system in the back woods for a long time that would allow me to actually sleep through the night without aches, pains, and appendages going numb. Through all of my trial and error I had not been successful. I found hammock forums and was lurking theses forums for quite sometime with a bit of skepticism, but was persuaded through all of my reading and research to attempt the hang. I ordered a Warbonnet Blackbird hammock, 3 season Yeti, and OES MacCat Dlx. I took it out for my first ever hang on a 3 day 2 night trek and I will NEVER go back to the ground again. I had two nights of the BEST sleep I have ever had. I awoke for the first time in the back country completely refreshed with no back pain or aches. BIG Props to WarbonnetGuy (Brandon) and Outdoor Equipment Suppliers (OES Brian) for such quality products and great customer service.

Hammock
    Switchback & WB BlackBird
    Tarp
    12x12 sportsman
    Insulation
    CCf
    Suspension
    Web W/ Dutch clips
    Hey Guys,
    In thinking back to my first exposure to camping Hammocks I first remember seeing one set up in a State Park here in Michigan. It was, as they say... love at first site.
    Immediately the wheels started slowly revolving in the ole gray matter as to how this sleep system could be better overall for my style of camping/hiking.
    As a younger man I thought nothing of sleeping on the cold, hard ground but as I aged the idea of sleeping on the ground lost a lot of it's appeal. For me, hanging just seems to represent a step forward in the right direction.

Cheers,
    Darrel

Hammock
    WBBB Dbl 1.1, WB Traveler
    Tarp
    MacCat Deluxe, SWT
    Insulation
    Te-wa TQ+UQ, MW3
    Suspension
    Whoopie
    Images

Why I started hanging

Did a lot of camping in scorpion infested deserts. I saw some painful bites and though getting off of the ground might be a good idea. It's also much cooler than sleeping on sun baked rocks all night.

Thx,
    pisanodc

Hammock
    Claytor
    Tarp
    Cat Tarp Standard
    Insulation
    JRB MTW4 & MTW3
    Suspension
    ropes with huggers
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by mikeinfhaz View Post
    I have been noticing, especially on this forum but also on general hiking forums, there have been several new "hangers" popping up and introducing themselves. Out of sheer curiosity, I wanted to ask all of you fine new hangers exaclty how/when/why you first decided to give hammocks a try?
    Is it something you saw in a magazine ad? Is it something you saw on the trail? Or was it something your friends talk about?

I first started seriously considering hammocks after searching for DIY quilt instructions, when I came across Just Jeff's site. I soon realized that if I can sleep under a tarp on the ground, I can do it above the ground.
    the rest is history! (thanks, Jeff!)

so, how'd you learn the ways of the Ewok?
    It all began for me when I was looking for a new light weight shelter. I was starting to get into ultralight backpacking and needed something less bulky and lighter. It was all history after I tried my first hammock in the wild. I never looked back. Heck, I never even considered looking back.
    Scott Macri
    www.IronFlyOptions.com

Hammock
    Clark TX-250 Camo
    Tarp
    10X10 or 12X12
    Insulation
    Clark Z liner
    Suspension
    rings and straps
    Images
    I've always been fascinated by sleeping in hammocks because when I was young (maybe 8 or 10 yrs. old) I was shown a picture of my 3 Uncles and my Grandpa camping in jungle hammocks, sometime back in the '50s. The fascination never left me.

I got started into "hanging" back in the '80s while in the Boy Scouts. I bought an old military issue jungle hammock from the local Army-Navy surplus store. I was the envy of my friends and they soon followed suit by getting jungle hammocks of their own. The hammock ended up getting destroyed, and I forgot about them for a while.

Fast forward to the mid '90s...I found a new nylon sheet hammock at a local store. I couldn't believe how much better it seemed than the net hammocks I had napped in from time to time. No more "Waffle Butt"!! I never camped in it, but knew there was something special about the solid sheet.

Then I started to seriously take up canoeing and kayaking in 2003. I needed a lightweight solo shelter that would work here in South Florida, where the ground is often either wet, completely underwater, or crawling with bugs. Immediately, my mind went back to the Scouting days, and that old stinky, canvas surplus jungle hammock. I continued to suffer for the next few years, but the jungle hammock idea never left me.

Come 2005-06, I did a bit of research and ended up with a Clark NA. Shortly after, the new Camo models came out and I decided to take a chance, so I wrote the company to see if I could exchange my NA for a camo one (plus the price difference). Gary Clark personally answered my email, and said it was no problem...even with my slightly used (but pristinely-kept) NA!

I decided to replace the XL fly with a Campmor 10X10 Versatile Tarp...not only for the extra room it would give me, but kind of out of necessity...
    (spoken in a whisper)
    ...I accidentally ripped the fly one night during an unexpected fit of drunken clumsiness.

I've also added some home made "snake skins". A few other minor "personalizations", (like inside "clothesline", 'biners, etc.) and I think I've finally found my perfect set-up!

I found this place while doing my hammock-buying research phase, and lurked on and off for a while. Decided it was finally time to join up.

Technically, I haven't started hanging, but I have a JacksRBetter Bear Mtn Bridge hammock that was gifted me and begging to be used. (I was asking some questions in another forum and out of the blue someone had one that needed a home - it's good to have online friends.) Anywho, my interest is many fold, certainly the standard ones about having different placement options and getting off the hard ground are important. I'm not sure why tenters and hammockers seem to be at odds with each other at times - just good natured ribbing I suspose, but I have learned to avoid knocking someone else's way until I have tried it and I am about to try this.

To answer the question though, I don't like sharing my tent except when I hike with my brother. I am a scout leader and need an excuse to sleep alone rather than with another adult. I could buy a 1-man tent, but the hammock idea had me intrigued, so here I am getting ready to go hanging with the scouts in the Whites in less than 2 weeks. Going for 4 nights without even a test overnighter. Actually, first night is a car camping test before we hit the trail at first light and I will have time to swap out the hammock for a tent if it is not working for me. Wish me luck.

• + New Posts
  • Page 19 of 258 FirstFirst ... 917181920212969119 ... LastLast