WB Black Bird XLC 1.7
    Tarp
    DIY 1.1 Silpoly
    Insulation
    EE Quilt/WB Under
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Shug's videos!

Early this year my hiking gang organized a 3D2N backpacking trip to a national park by South China Sea (combination of swamp, tropical rainforest & rock cliff). Our leader made sure everyone bought a hammock before joining as there is absolutely no flat ground to set up tents.Bought both my china made tarp & bugnet integrated hammock online 1 week before the trip & soak up all i can from theultimatehang.com.

Rained heavily the first night & I slept through it like a baby while the rest of my team was soaked. Except those with HH Exped Zip. And me of course.

From there onwards I never wanna dwell on the grounds anymore. Except this one time at the beach and there's no trees around.....

Hammock
    Tier Gear Goshawk
    Tarp
    Tier Gear Bettong
    Insulation
    JRB Down UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    My story is that I have always been a camper and later served in the military where we had no choice but to live under a tarp or underground in a pit.
    i have always enjoyed the open air and have tried swags in the Aussie bush and dabble with a hammock in an armoured vehicle. I found this forum and was pretty well converted on my first browse.
    I am onto my second hammock and have found them extremely comfortable and easy to deploy.
    hope that helps you Obi-Wan.

I'm certain YouTube has a lot to do with it. Quite simply I "need" to be outdoors, and with my advancing age I just can't sleep on the ground anymore.

Three things- Curiosity, the hard ground and the Shug.

Hammock
    DIY Gathered
    Tarp
    Any available
    Insulation
    DIY UQ
    Suspension
    DIY Webbing
    Quote Originally Posted by Mac McSchool View Post
    Shug's videos!
    Yea man!

Hammock
    DIY Gathered
    Tarp
    Any available
    Insulation
    DIY UQ
    Suspension
    DIY Webbing
    Quote Originally Posted by wanderlustman View Post
    Three things- Curiosity, the hard ground and the Shug.

Forgot about the hard ground. That is one of my best selling points to buddies who I try to convert.

I was introduced to hammock use in the mid 1990's by a retired Special Forces guy who taught me to use a hammock, with military poncho liner, and a poncho over the hammock, as a shelter. I've since used it in Yosemite in September (bought a warmer sleeping bag after that experience), and other places. One time I was on an organized hike and was required to bring a tent, which I did, in addition to my hammock. So when it started raining I had to use the tent. I awoke in the middle of the night, soggy, which I woudn't have been if I could have used the hammock

Hammock
    DH Raven/Darien
    Tarp
    WB Mountainfly
    Insulation
    Loco Libre/HG/SLD
    Suspension
    Myerstech/Becket
    I haven't been hanging for very long at all; but in my search for hiking/camping gear, I came across a lot of folks using hammocks, and something about them just spoke to me. I really liked the idea that the ground is taken out of the equation when figuring out where to make camp. And I liked how (typically) compact hammock gear is- as opposed to a tent. I decided to get the GTSBP for my initial setup. I like it a lot, but look forward to the day where I can upgrade to some of the cottage gear everyone seems to have. But for now, the Skeeter Beeter Pro gets the job done well, and I got it for a great price (free )

Hammock
    WB Traveler xl
    Tarp
    DIY membrane 4000
    Insulation
    Bandit, Wooki
    Suspension
    Whoopie sling
    About four years ago I did a spring solo overnight trip on the superior hiking trail. After getting to my campsite I set up my t**t on a very muddy pad. It was a wet and foggy night in which I tossed and turned trying to get comfortable despite having a Thermarest Neoair pad.After a sleepless night the next morning I packed up my wet and very muddy ground shelter and swore I would never do it again. My brother was just getting into hammocks and told me I should watch some Shug videos.I bought myself a WB Blackbird XLC and Mamajamba tarp and never looked back. I would not be backpacking if it were not for hammocks.

• + New Posts
  • Page 212 of 258 FirstFirst ... 112162202210211212213214222 ... LastLast