HG The Quest
    Insulation
    HG Econ Incubator
    Suspension
    Straps/Cnch Bkls
    Images

I'm on my own

Quote Originally Posted by leapfrog1 View Post
    I think my odds of getting my wife to accompany me on a trip are higher in hammock than a tent (especially a UL tent). She tried my BB a couple of nights ago a loved the cocoon effect of the quilts.
    My wife tells me she is NEVER sleeping outside again voluntarily, so when I go, I'm on my own. I'm still trying to decide if that's an asset or a liability...lol.

Hammock
    WalhallaCustom11'
    Tarp
    Walhalla Winter
    Insulation
    LL0°,CRO20°
    Suspension
    CL's/Buckles/Etc
    A friend of mine bought a Hennessey and he let me try it. I was instantly sold!!
    www.wildcherrywoodworks.com (my business)
    www.mainechopstick.com (my other business)
    www.4alloutdoors.org (a friend's site I do reviews for)
    www.curlymaplechronicles.blogspot.com (my personal blog)

Hammock
    Dutch Chameleon, Hexon 1.0
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Fiber
    Insulation
    HG Burrow/Phoenix
    Suspension
    Whoopie
    I'm too old to sleep on the ground!

Hammock
    Dutchware 11 foot
    Tarp
    Thunderfly
    Insulation
    LL 20 to, WL 15uq
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    I'm blaming it on Shug.

Every time I buy a new piece of kit I tell her "Shug made me do it". She is now starting to,appreciate his videos now......

Hammock
    Hemlock Mountain Outdoors CoyotePac
    Tarp
    DIY SilNylon 12x9
    Insulation
    Synthetic
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images
    I was always a tent camper, and had never so much as sat in a hammock of any kind until December '15. After my friend and I had talked a little about hammocks to carry while hiking I had found a great bargain on Sierra Trading Post for an ENO Traveler for something like $22 so I picked it up and gave it a shot. I then started watching seeing videos of people camping in them and that was all I needed to see. I now own the ENO Traveler and ENO DoubleNest, an Exped Scout Combi, 2 prototype DIY's (1 UL) and have the materials coming for a more permanent DIY setup including tarp and bugnet. I have a set of ENO quilts that hold me down to high 30's low 40's on their own and a set of DIY 10 degree synthetics that I hope to test this weekend. The first few trips I took back in April I took my tent along as a bail out, now I couldn't imagine lugging that thing around with me anymore!

I have a friend that wanted to go motorcycle camping. we had been riding together for awhile so I said why not. He had a Eno double nest that he wanted to use. I went on a quick search and DIY bender to make a gathered hammock, ratchet strap suspension, and insulation. Two weeks after we first talked about I did my first hand just outside of Fort Bragg, Kommiefornia and have been hooked.

Hammock
    Enos
    Tarp
    Eno dragon fly
    Insulation
    DIY coming soon!
    Suspension
    Atlas EXT
    Images
    Hello! My story is actually similar to yours. My boyfriend and I are really big into camping and the outdoors. We go on trips all the time. We were looking up camping videos on YouTube and found Shug's site and we were hooked from there. The last few months we've slowly gathered gear and are just now able to start really getting into it. I can't imagine going back to tents now! Thanks Shug!
    Squeaky Toy Adventures

Hammock
    DIY 1.7 ROBIC XL
    Tarp
    DIY Silpoly CRL
    Insulation
    HG UQ 20 / TQ 30
    Suspension
    DIY CL/Mule Tape
    Images
    I was searching the web for any emergency tarp to pack with me while snowshoeing and came across this thing called a whoopie sling. Fell deep into that rabbit hole and the rest is history..........................
    TO EACH THEIR OWN....

Hammock
    Towns-End
    Tarp
    WB, Towns-End, UGQ
    Insulation
    LSOH, JRB, UGQ
    Suspension
    Straps & Buckles
    Images
    Aches and pains forced me to look for something better than the ground! Even air mattresses hated me and always seemed to let me down leaving me deflated (pun intended). Hammocks allow me to rest without all the pressure points. I use a JRB BMBH and sleep on my side. To me it's the only way to sleep! Plus, set up is easy and you don't have to be so picky about your campsite!

Hammock
    HH Ultralite Backpacker
    Tarp
    Shopping for one
    Insulation
    HG Incubator 0
    Suspension
    NHO Hangtight XL
    I am so excited to be able to finally communicate here. I have "lurked" in the site viewing threads and I have never seen so much up to date information about a topic. I can't wait to ask all the questions I am looking to find out about hanging. Enough of that. I started into this as a need to gain an ultra-light shelter for archery hunting. In my youth, I was an avid backpacker and focused solely on light weight (max pack to 30 lbs for eighteen days) and LNT. When I took up archery hunting in the back country, I needed to find a way to be comfortable on ridges and areas which did not allow for tent set-up. I chose the HH Ultra-lite Asym-Zip for a lot of the same reasons users here say it is functional: integrated bug net (I am a mosquito magnet), all-in one features (although I plan for some major mods). I have already begun to customize it based solely on the information from veterans here. You guys know your stuff!. I spent a great deal of time watching Shug's videos; Derek Hansen's information on the perfect pitch for an HH integrated tarp; Already ordered my Whoopie Slings to switch out for the ropes; and bought a different suspension system straps. I chose the NHO Hang Tight XL. Weight is a part of my system concerns, but no solely. I will be using my North Face Superlight down bag as a top quilt, and I am going to be picking up an underquilt for below 40 degrees at night. I will also be upgrading my tarp setup to have two options.

So that is where I am starting from and I am looking forward to asking all sorts of questions. Thanks for letting me in to pick your experience. I am sure to love a hammock over a tent.
    See you all soon.
    Last edited by boid12003; 12-22-2016 at 20:06. Reason: Misspelled LNT

• + New Posts
  • Page 217 of 258 FirstFirst ... 117167207215216217218219227 ... LastLast