Page 219 of 258 FirstFirst ... 119169209217218219220221229 ... LastLast
Results 2,181 to 2,190 of 2579
    Tarp
    noah 12
    Insulation
    pad and bag
    Suspension
    just webbing
    just started hammock camping last year and now i've got the bug.
    it has got me back in to my backpacking.

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird XLC
    Tarp
    WB Mamajba
    Insulation
    HG incubator
    Suspension
    Webbing/buckles
    Back in '09 I was on a hike in New Zealand when it got late and I hadn't found flat ground yet to pitch the tent. I kept going until well after dark and finally found a flat'ish' spot to make camp. Exhausted, I pitched the tent and passed out. During the night I kept waking up with rocks or sticks under me that I had failed to clear before setting up. Each time I would adjust to find a comfortable position again and go back to sleep. The next morning I packed up took down the tent and discovered that the "rocks and sticks" I was laying on were actually pieces of a sheep skeleton. Not cool man! Very not cool! that was when I first started considering other outdoor accommodation possibilities.

A few months later I met my first hammocker friend and began realizing it was a viable alternative to tents. At the time I was beyond broke so had to stick with what I had, but decided my next shelter purchase would be a hammock.

For a couple years I was working non stop driving in the US and then living in Thailand scuba diving and what not, so didn't do much in the way of camping. Finally the urge to return to the woods hit me again, and in a serious way. And thus, in the winter of 2014 while acquiring gear for my 2015 AT thru hike, I finally got my beloved WBBB XLC.

To make a long story a little longer... I fell in love with my hammock the very first night and haven't looked back. I don't even think I know what a good tent site looks like anymore.

My Eyes, My Heart and My Bed are now forever In the trees!.

Hammock
    Dutchware gear
    Tarp
    WB Thunderfly
    Insulation
    UQ
    Suspension
    Jbend
    I discovered hammock camping while backpacking in the White Mountain National Forest. I borrowed a hammock and a tarp for my following trip, and was hooked ever since. I'm slowly getting my family into it, too and look forward to future family hangs in summer, and possibly starting in the spring.

Hammock
    Grand Trunk Double
    Tarp
    Kelty Noah's 12x12
    Insulation
    Snugpak Underquilt
    Suspension
    GT Trunk Straps
    I was walking through one of those camping stores and they had Grand Trunk Hammocks - I figured $20 was worth the investment. 14 hammocks later - most of which are Grand Trunk brand I haven't slept on the ground since 2010.

I actually watched Shug's videos probably more than a year before I started hammock camping. I stumble on some weird YouTube videos sometimes and I just happened across them and I thought they were so entertaining. Fast forward a year and I was looking to lose weight by going on more hikes and hammocks were a way to reinvigorate camping and hiking. My brother caught the bug too and it's a fun thing to do with family.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I became interested in Hammock Camping probably four months ago just as winter was setting in. I first heard about it maybe a year ago from a neighbor who goes to the Boundary Waters with his hammock. And so I've been exploring it as an option. I do a fair amount of backpacking mostly just weekend trips but I've always used to tent. And I nearly always hike with my wife so using a tent makes the most sense since we can split the weight and enjoy each other's company or play cards away from the weather or insects. Over the last couple months I've collected a hammock and a tarp and I've made my own suspension for both. That said I am getting discouraged. The gear is not as light as I thought it would be. And I can set my tent up in a fraction of the time it takes to get a hammock completely adjusted with the tarp. I've also had a hard time finding trees to be the right distance and thickness or location. Plus I think I will miss my tent😥. I am on pause for the moment... Maybe the hammock bug will bite but not sure...

Quote Originally Posted by -Sawg View Post
    I became interested in Hammock Camping probably four months ago just as winter was setting in. I first heard about it maybe a year ago from a neighbor who goes to the Boundary Waters with his hammock. And so I've been exploring it as an option. I do a fair amount of backpacking mostly just weekend trips but I've always used to tent. And I nearly always hike with my wife so using a tent makes the most sense since we can split the weight and enjoy each other's company or play cards away from the weather or insects. Over the last couple months I've collected a hammock and a tarp and I've made my own suspension for both. That said I am getting discouraged. The gear is not as light as I thought it would be. And I can set my tent up in a fraction of the time it takes to get a hammock completely adjusted with the tarp. I've also had a hard time finding trees to be the right distance and thickness or location. Plus I think I will miss my tent. I am on pause for the moment... Maybe the hammock bug will bite but not sure...
    Something that I've seen a lot of people saying around here is it isn't for everyone. Different strokes for different folks. It sounds like you really enjoy the type of camping you do with your wife and it does make sense. It could be that a tent just works for your situation better.

I've had some trouble picking the proper distances on trees too, it really gets easier and depending on your suspension I think it can be pretty forgiving. As for thickness of trees, if you had some 10' or 15' straps, they make really lightweight ones and they're versatile for all types of trees.

I'd say with anything, don't force it. If it feels right, do It and most of all enjoy it.

Steve

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks Steve. We do have a pretty good system down, which makes it low stress and more fun. Gives us time to focus on our surroundings.

Hammock
    DIY 1.9 ripstop
    Tarp
    DD tarp 3x3
    Insulation
    llbean 20 F bag
    Suspension
    muletape/amsteel
    tent camping for most of life. saw a DIY on Youtube, just liked the swing of things. no pun intended. figured i would try it out. hehehe

I like to car camping. Always wanted to solo camp and hike in. Have some back problems, so sleeping on ground can be tricky. Thought I'd try hanging to see if I can camp light and get a good night's rest.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3000 using Tapatalk

• + New Posts
  • Page 219 of 258 FirstFirst ... 119169209217218219220221229 ... LastLast