Hammock
    Simply Light Designs Trail Lair 11'
    Tarp
    SLD WH/DW xenon
    Insulation
    SLD Climashield 6
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    I was tired of the weight of tents, all the gear I had to bring for it to be comfortable, the extra tarps for bad weather,air mattresses and pads losing air and leaving my back hurting, rain making it's way into the tent, I'm sure I'm forgetting other issues. I then tried a cheap gathered end jungle hammock a friend had and it was so comfortable and I liked the idea of being up off the cold *** ground so that began my journey about 8 months ago.

Im young got kicked out from my residence after a motorcycle accident brought out the bum in me . Thats when i discovered hammocks, sleeping in a buddys back yard , my charisma somehow landed me a brand-new eno double nest and straps for 55 bucks. It was instant love, at home comfort in the palm of my hand, welcome to the wonderful world of hammocks

Hammock
    Amok Draumr
    These forms got me excited and made me a hanger. Thanks all!

Hammock
    Dutchware 11' Hexon 1.6 DL
    Tarp
    HG Quest 12'
    Insulation
    HG Econ 30, AHE 4S
    Suspension
    Whoopies/Cinch Bug
    I grew up more on the hunting & fishing side of outdoor life, but after relocating to a more geographically interesting area after college, my interest in hiking and camping has grown tremendously. I discovered hammock camping on reddit, and folks were kind enough to point me to Shug's videos. I've known about HF for a couple years now, but just joined today.

edit: here's a photo of my rig

IMG_0633.jpg
    Last edited by burger_face; 05-12-2017 at 15:06.

Hammock
    WBBB/HH UL Backpacker
    Suspension
    Ti cinch buckles
    Like some others it started by looking for a lighter solo shelter. Over 10 years ago I had backpacked my 6 or 7 lb. 2-man tent a couple of times and didn't want to do that anymore (short trips, thankfully). One thing led to another and I discovered the Hennessy site. The Ultralite Backpacker was a newer model at the time. Like many, at first I wondered about the times when I'd have trouble finding a place to set it up. As I mulled hammocks over for a while and continued my day hikes, I realized there was hardly anywhere you couldn't set up. That concern out of the way, all of the benefits became even clearer and I pulled the trigger on that Ultralite Backpacker that I still use today.
    (Side-note: I recently discovered the 2QZQ zipper mods and can't wait to give my trusty hammock new life.)

Hey everyone, i started hanging a couple years ago. I've camped since i was a kid usually in a tent and on a cot but when a new friend wanted to do an overnight i happened to come across an old hammock with cross bars I've had, (but never used) i decided to give it a try. Needless to say the first time i hung it up and sat down i flipped *** over tea kettle. Once i get my bearings and figured out how to hang i fell in love. I went out and bought an eno double nest and all the trimmings. Eventually i started modifying it to better suit me and my particular needs and will continue to hang in the woods untill i cant anymore.

Sent from my LGLK430 using Tapatalk

Hammock
    Wildhorn, Outpost II
    Suspension
    Lightspeed straps
    We joined a local prepper group and almost everyone hammock camps. After learning that one sleeps at a diagonal (not like a banana...) we became interested. Also the complexity of the tent, ground cloth and the occasional shade cover started to seem to be a bit much when compared to a simple hammock and tarp! So...we're off on a new adventure!

Hammock
    Chameleon
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    JRB
    Suspension
    Beetles / Webbing
    For me, I guess it was being tired of stiff joints crawling out of a tent in the morning. Skeptical of hammock camping, I finally decided to give it a try several years ago and got hooked. Although I still occasionally tent camp, I'm a hammock convert.

Hammock
    DIY 1.9 oz. Ripstop Nylon
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    A few years ago I stumbles across a guy on YouTube getting ready to start an Appalachian Trail thru-hike. I had never heard of ultra-light backpacking before, but he was weighing all of his gear and talking about grams and ounces as if it were going to make a difference on his overall lead. Well, it was making a difference. He had a complete hammock system that weighed almost nothing and took up a fraction of the space in his pack that a traditional tent, bag, and pad would have. I was intrigued. Joe Brewer is his name and I believe he referred to this forum several times in his videos.

Unfortunately, I'm cheap and don't like to let go of my money, so fast forward 4 years when my fiancé, probably sick of me mentioning that I was going to get a hammock one day, surprised me with an Eno Doublenest w/treestraps for my birthday. We hike a lot, and the hammock usually goes with us.

Long time camper. It started as a child, when my parents would take me camping because it meant we could have a longer holiday than staying at a hotel. I then moved on to festival camping with a trecking tent. Not a nice experience to crawl out of when you're head is hurting. Upgraded that tent to a more comfortable 3 person Coleman dome style tent which protected me and my gear from the rain.

So there I am carrying all 4kgs of tent and sleeping bag 5km uphill because google maps told me there was a road which in fact, did not exist, to a little farmyard campsite in the middle of the swiss alps with my shoulders hurting (backpack was great for carrying clothes... heavy camping gear... not so much) and I arrived. That camping trip was the last straw for me. Soft gorund that suddenly pokes rocks at your shoulders during your sleep, THROUGH your mat.

Got home and started looking for solutions. Everybody was raging about HH, ENO and WB but I was also interested in Hobo Hammocks due to their (almost) compltee set for about $50 and DD because... closer to where I was living at the time.

They had an adventure pack which incliuded a backpack, hammock with built in bug-mesh, snakeskin and tarp, for about $200 including S&H. AND, the hammock could be staked to the ground as a bivy if need be. This was approximately the price of my 3 person tent but less than half the weight, and could be used both in the air or on the ground. Started off with my army issued sleeping bag and my old camping mat. Couple outings later I changed up the stock suspension for whoopie slings and tree huggers followed by changing the camping mat for an underquilt, and more recently, a whole new setup.

• + New Posts
  • Page 224 of 258 FirstFirst ... 124174214222223224225226234 ... LastLast