DH Sparrow
    Tarp
    Hennessy Hex Fly
    Insulation
    Poncho Liner mods
    Suspension
    Cinch Buckles
    Quote Originally Posted by KB1JKI View Post
    I've never been happy on the ground, I live in an area covered in roots and rocks with plenty of trees! Also, I wasn't sure how to stick tent poles into bikepacks that I made for my fat bike. Then I discovered trying to stuff synthetic sleeping gear was the real issue, I had already gotten a hammock and tarp, learned how to make soft shackles and whoopie slings, structural ridgelines, and had snakeskins and dutch bling on my tarp ridgeline. I have invested in down quilts and made a couple easy ones... Make Your Own Gear Hammock Camping is a facebook page that was a great help to me before really poking about hammock forums. Basically, camping from a trail worthy bike is what got me going! Attachment 151428Attachment 151429Attachment 151430Attachment 151431Attachment 151432Attachment 151433Attachment 151434Attachment 151435Attachment 151436Attachment 151437Attachment 151438Attachment 151439Attachment 151440Attachment 151441Attachment 151442
    Very nice! It appears your Screen Name might be a ham radio call sign, correct? If so, are you doing any camping for #NPOTA events?

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird XLC
    Tarp
    JacksRBetr 12 x 10
    Insulation
    JRB 20deg set
    Suspension
    Straps & Whoopies
    For years, I've car camped at a lake where I teach people to Scuba dive. One year I felt like I didn't spend enough weekends camping so I decided to go backpacking. A few miles in, I clearly needed to lighten the load and besides, I don't sleep well on a thermarest. I saw a camping hammock set up and started thinking.

It turns out that I could shave 8 or 9 pounds off my load, so I got an all in one, amateur proof setup. The first time I set it up, one end was tied to my house and the other to the rack of my truck. I got in and it was the most comfortable thing I ever laid down in. I took a 3 hour nap. Now it's replaced my car camping tent, pillow and sleeping pad. I got drybags for my clothes, etc that I hang on the suspension, but I may add a little gear tent at some point.

Hammock
    WB Blackbird 1.7 Double Layer
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    HG Top/Bottom
    Suspension
    Dutch Cinch Buckle
    Images
    I got into hammock camping for 2 reasons.

1) I am a city boy. I never really saw the appeal of camping when I was younger. That was what crazy people did. As I got older I started trying new things I hadn't done to get out of my box. I started by hiking and found out I actually enjoyed it. So I thought why not try camping too? I knew i didn't want to go the tent route as I toss and turn in my sleep. So hammock was really my only choice.

2) I also got into it in honor of my uncle who died. He was a avid backpacker and hiked all around the world. He was an awesome influence in my life and I wanted a way to remember him.

Hammock
    Hennessy Expedition
    Tarp
    DD4x4
    Insulation
    Work in progress
    Suspension
    Out of the mud.
    I have always been a camper, and spent plenty of time traveling and camping around Aus, hunting, fishing,canoe and boat trips...all the good stuff. Whilst I love my swag, and generally have heaps of room to carry it, the hammock has been the only way to go on my motorcycle, and on overnight canoe trips. Packs small and is super comphy. Spring and summer , I carry it in my 4x4 ute,and do prefer to use it over the swag. It has the added bonus of being up off the ground, and away from the snakes and spiders we get to camp with over here,not that I have very often had a problem with them, but a bit more piece of mind I guess. Also doubles as a great lounge chair , by the river with a fishing rod in one hand and a beer in the other.

Hammock
    Clark NX-150
    Tarp
    Clark
    Insulation
    HG Burrow
    Suspension
    Dutch bkl & whoopi
    I had a friend at a church I worked at who had in interest in hammock camping. He invited me along and because I had issues with my neck and found no problems when hammock camping, I was hooked.

Hammock
    Hennessy Expedition
    While 'dreaming' of a hike and reading other's experience on the AT I choose to hang. In 2015-16 it was a thought process. Now, I have a hammock with an anticipated March 1,2020 NOBO AT hike, if I should live so long...

Hammock
    Blackbird XLC Single layer 1.7
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Greylock 4
    Suspension
    buckle
    Waking up on the ground resulted in me hurting. Wanted to sleep on air, or close to it.

Hammock
    Hennessy Explorer Deluxe
    Tarp
    Supafly!
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Beckett Hitches
    Six years ago, I bought a ten dollar net hammock to string up behind the shop I work in to take breaks in. It was so comfortable, I started researching hanging a hammock to sleep in every night at home. In doing that, I discovered Hennessy hammocks, and thought that sounded worlds better than sleeping in a tent on the ground, and bought one to replace my squirrel damaged tent.

I've been sleeping in the air ever since.

Hammock
    Cave Creek Hammocks
    Tarp
    LiteAF 11’ Dynema
    Insulation
    Cave Creek Hammock
    Suspension
    Straps & Knots
    First started learning a bunch of knots on youtube and came across some fella talking about tarps and bushcraft. I thought to myself, "Hound, you enjoy camping, hell you love it. Why not check in more to this bushcraft style". I started watching videos and got hooked on the idea of hammocking. While reviewing tarp ridge and guy lines I came across a youtube video posted by Shuggety Shug Shug of the third Shug. From there I became obsessed with hammocking, tarps and backpacking.

Hammock
    Skeeter Beater Pro
    Tarp
    BCUSA 10x10
    Insulation
    HG 30
    I am not really a die hard hanger yet as I am still learning but I know I never slept great on a mat and did ok on a cot. I want to get away from car camping so a hammock makes sense for sleeping. I am not sleeping better in a hammock vs my bed at home but have surpassed the comfort of sleeping on the ground. There is way more to this than I would have ever thought and I am improving my setup every time I am out.

• + New Posts
  • Page 226 of 258 FirstFirst ... 126176216224225226227228236 ... LastLast