Hammock
    SLD Trail Lair
    Tarp
    Cloudburst
    Insulation
    CRO Up Wide
    Suspension
    Webbing/Buckles
    I got old. That's what got me off the ground.....

Hammock
    GE ; RR ; Vertex ; Tentsile
    Tarp
    HG Cubens W/ doors
    Insulation
    Yeti, Wookis, Lynx
    Suspension
    dyneema strap/ring
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by mjerney View Post
    I just wish I could figure out how to comfortably have company in my hammock. Its the ONLY shortcoming I have found.
    Buy the Clark Vertex, it is GREAT.

I was rambling through a French hiking forum and incidentally discovered the whole secret community through a post mentioning the hammock forums. Then Shug's videos, then bought a XLC and a Yeti, then a dozen of hammocks and 19 quilts in one year. Pretty scary.

Images
    Got back into camping after a long time and slept in a tent for a weekend, promptly went and purchased a hammock the next week! My back has thanked me since.

Sent from my LGL84VL using Tapatalk

Hammock
    Winner Outfitters Doublenest
    Tarp
    Free Soldier
    Insulation
    Top/Bottom Quilt
    Suspension
    Straps and biners
    I always hated tents. Ended up wet no matter what I did to prevent it. After a couple years of tents, I noticed my friends had bought some hammocks and were using them. I bought one too, and never used it for camping. After a year or so, I realized that I could use them instead of tents, after getting quilts, bug net, tarp etc. I thought, wow you don't get as wet, its super comfortable, and you dont have to worry about sliding around into your buddies in the tent. I have just recently started using a hammock full time after using a cheap jungle hammock for a year.

Hammock
    Amok Draumr 3.0
    Tarp
    Amok Tarp
    Insulation
    TR Basecamp AF LW
    Suspension
    Amok system
    Stumbled across Shug’s videos and this forum about the same time as I was looking up information on the Foothills Trail here in SC. Decided that I needed to check out the hammock scene and ordered a Grand Trunk Ultra-Light as my first hammock and enjoyed the greatest night of outdoor sleep in my life. Have not looked back.

I didn't realize Hammock Camping was something people did until a couple years ago. I had done car camping for years with my kids and bought a $15 Kalisto hammock at Wal-Mart about 10 years ago to take on camping trips. I had fallen asleep in it so many times and woke up in the middle of the night because I was cold then moved back into the tent.

For years, I had dreamed of going backpacking. I decided for my 50th birthday that I was going to cross it off my bucket list. I went solo to Black Elk Wilderness in western SD. (I figured that would be a safe place for an old woman newbie on her own.) I wanted to take a hammock for relaxation but wanted to keep my pack weight low so left mine home. Every night I would think "I wish I had brought a hammock!" I decided I never wanted to go camping without a hammock!!

When I got home, I started researching hammock camping. Now I am hoping to go to my first Frozen Butt Hang in January.

I have a great UL set up for ground camping when I'm trying to bag 14er summits as fast and light as possible. Was going to use this set up mainly even for winter camping. But then I remember last year on my first winter backpacking trip where I hiked up Pikes Peak and camped at around 11,000 feet, didn't really make it to tree line. I just remember how long it took me to break camp and set it up and I just had a bivy with my sleep system inside. Finding flat ground under all that snow took forever, though.

I decided this year I wanted to winter camp again, but I didn't want to deal with clearing a bunch of snow just to find some big roots or the ground wasn't really flat there anymore. And now I might switch over to hammocking for good except when I'm specifically mountaineering. My UQ came last week, and I have a nice tarp, a nice hammock, a nice TQ. I'm ready for when winter finally hits for good around here. Tested my HG Phoneix 10 degree quilt into the low 20s and I was toasty and warm under my tarp, had to sleep with my top quilt opened up a bit to vent of heat.

Quote Originally Posted by Pithecanthropus View Post
    I have a great UL set up for ground camping when I'm trying to bag 14er summits as fast and light as possible. Was going to use this set up mainly even for winter camping. But then I remember last year on my first winter backpacking trip where I hiked up Pikes Peak and camped at around 11,000 feet, didn't really make it to tree line. I just remember how long it took me to break camp and set it up and I just had a bivy with my sleep system inside. Finding flat ground under all that snow took forever, though.

I decided this year I wanted to winter camp again, but I didn't want to deal with clearing a bunch of snow just to find some big roots or the ground wasn't really flat there anymore. And now I might switch over to hammocking for good except when I'm specifically mountaineering. My UQ came last week, and I have a nice tarp, a nice hammock, a nice TQ. I'm ready for when winter finally hits for good around here. Tested my HG Phoneix 10 degree quilt into the low 20s and I was toasty and warm under my tarp, had to sleep with my top quilt opened up a bit to vent of heat.
    You are bloody organized and ready to hit it! I like!

Hammock
    DIY gathered end
    Tarp
    OzTrail???
    Insulation
    Tentsile sky pad
    Suspension
    DIY single line
    I got sick and tired of uncomfortable uneven ground, inflatable mattresses going down, really heavy camping fear when the weight is better served on food and booze.

Almost 2 years hanging now and ill never go back.

Hammock
    DIY gathered end
    Tarp
    OzTrail???
    Insulation
    Tentsile sky pad
    Suspension
    DIY single line
    Quote Originally Posted by Brommeland View Post
    I got old. That's what got me off the ground.....
    ME TOO

• + New Posts
  • Page 229 of 258 FirstFirst ... 129179219227228229230231239 ... LastLast